XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP

So far so good. I am looking forward to a serious road trip in a few months with the beastie. Here are some thoughts on the vehicle after a month an a half or so of ownership:

1. Parts are not that expensive. Have sourced a few things from 'other than dealer' web sites. Anything from Jag will of course come with a premium.

2. These cars are not too bad to work on. Did the brakes and general maintenance items (oil, coolant, flushing brakes, etc) and nothing too out of the ordinary.

3. This car is made for the open road. Wonderful highway cruiser and then some. Very comfortable and supportive seats.

4. At some point I need to loose that pesky air suspension. Even for moderate manuvering the suspension is soft, even in sport mode. I admit that I am used to BMW with custom suspensions but even so there seems to be way too much float in these cars. My 85 5 series handled better.

5. Tranny is a bit lagging - sometimes takes a few milliseconds (more than normal) for the oily bits to respond to the throttle input.

6. Headliner sag is annoying - but its a Jag - 'nuff said.

7. No one cuts me off when I drive it!!!! I really love that part.

Overall I am quite pleased with how it runs and drives. The suspension issue is tolerable if you take the time to learn the weight transfer of the car it seems (I am still learning it but then again its not exactly the same every time).

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Sport mode doesn't do anything to the suspension, just changes shift points

Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by strokez
So far so good. I am looking forward to a serious road trip in a few months with the beastie. Here are some thoughts on the vehicle after a month an a half or so of ownership:

1. Parts are not that expensive. Have sourced a few things from 'other than dealer' web sites. Anything from Jag will of course come with a premium.

2. These cars are not too bad to work on. Did the brakes and general maintenance items (oil, coolant, flushing brakes, etc) and nothing too out of the ordinary.

3. This car is made for the open road. Wonderful highway cruiser and then some. Very comfortable and supportive seats.

4. At some point I need to loose that pesky air suspension. Even for moderate manuvering the suspension is soft, even in sport mode. I admit that I am used to BMW with custom suspensions but even so there seems to be way too much float in these cars. My 85 5 series handled better.

5. Tranny is a bit lagging - sometimes takes a few milliseconds (more than normal) for the oily bits to respond to the throttle input.

Overall I am quite pleased with how it runs and drives. The suspension issue is tolerable if you take the time to learn the weight transfer of the car it seems (I am still learning it but then again its not exactly the same every time).
Try lowering it and going with some 19" wheels n performance tires , that's my next move.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Ditto tires and/or wheels. Which tires are on it now?

"Squishy" side walls make for "loose" handling.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2004 XJR, with 20 inch Sepangs and the suspension is definitely not soft. Very responsive car, yet it is comfortable for long rides once the 16 way seat is properly adjusted to the driver.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM

I will be looking to lower the car and/or install a set of springs/struts in the future (I hear there is a conversion kit but have not seen it). Will also look to beefing up the suspension - sway bars, etc.. if available. I am not sure which mods to do first nor do I know what's available.

I threw a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Sports on for better handling - definitely not squishy sidewalls. I refuse to go larger than 18's in Houston - too many people ruin thier 19's and above from the crappy secondary roads here.

Maybe a better way to define the handling is floaty with more understeer than I am used to.

As stated I am quite happy with the vehicle to date.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll definitely give you that they suffer understeer.....all the way up to the new XFs and x351s

Arnott Industries manufactures the coilover conversion that is most popular. It's around 1400 and an easy saturday afternoons worth of work if you're mechanically inclined at all, from what I've seen.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks for that info HhisIII. It will come of use I am sure.

Here is a photo the the XJ

Here is the old 5 no longer with.....

The Jeep

and the Roadster

I don't have any good photos of the 1 series yet.....

Attached Thumbnails First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP-img_0529_zpsba198dae.jpg   First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP-fb1_zps7cde73d6.jpg   First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP-img-20120610-00350.jpg   First Impressions - 04 XJ VDP-dscf1182.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

My month and half Old 04 XJ8 X350 also has air springs
I also have 19 inch wheels 245/40/19 front 275/35/19 on the rear on it

You couldn't pay me to fit coil-overs to it when it dies I will get new air bags from arnotts and if the air compressor dies hopefully I win this months air pump reco kit (LOL)

Love the air bags!

My old XJR6 had 255/45/17,s on it I changed them to 235/50/17 because I was sick of the harsh ride and tram-lining

(If it ain't broke don't fix it)

Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Beautiful Jag.

That is the first white XJ8 I've seen.

Re:

Same here, I'm hopeful the upcoming fluid fill/flush will tighten things up

Just went through replacing ours, PM if you decide to do the work yourself, I've got a few tips.

I have to admit, I REALLY love this too. I constantly run into these road hogs that try to slam over in front of me to gain that all important Pole Position at the red light. They don't even realize what has happened until the Jag has already jumped up and bitten them.

Pure fun.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

Lovely Jag in white!

I don't like white cars in the UK but in warmer climes-Yes

I like to waft about on the air suspension-sorry!

Like the chunky Jeep too!

Last edited by meirion1; 09-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by doc
My month and half Old 04 XJ8 X350 also has air springs
I also have 19 inch wheels 245/40/19 front 275/35/19 on the rear on it

You couldn't pay me to fit coil-overs to it when it dies I will get new air bags from arnotts and if the air compressor dies hopefully I win this months air pump reco kit (LOL)
I am with you on that. Must admit that I never understand all these claims that the cars are soft and the steering mushy.

My 2005 XJ8L VDP is anything but that. If anything it is a little hard at times and the steering is absolutely positive, then I did go over all the tie rods and other suspension parts to make sure they were all tight when I first took delivery of the car.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Lovely car strokez!

I recently bought my 04 XJ8 as a "winter car" as they say around these parts, but I just love the way it wafts around, grips like a certain big cat, and the pause it gives other road users. It's not my late lamented M3, but it handles well, is more comfortable, much quieter, superb on long hauls on the interstate, and just as fast in the real world of give and take motoring in town.

I like it so much that I've started mending all the little things that are wrong with it. I can't imagine not fixing the air suspension if it packed up.

BTW, the M3 replacement is going to be an F-Type, so I'm not getting old just yet!

Chris

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by strokez

Smart drivers won't come anywhere near you, because they know what will happen to their insurance premiums if they hit you.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ryejag
I have a 2004 XJR, with 20 inch Sepangs and the suspension is definitely not soft. Very responsive car, yet it is comfortable for long rides once the 16 way seat is properly adjusted to the driver.
Ah, but the XJR will have the sports suspension, whereas a VDP will have standard ?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM

I have my eye on an F-type as well!! Just need to decide what to get rid of first....