XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Flash code 17

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Flash code 17

OK people be gentle with me please..
My 2003 X350 XJ6 is suffering with the dreaded flash code 17! I have tried the lifting my backside off the seat with the ignition in position two and the light on the passenger side tells me all is well.
Now I have looked at the connections for all four sensors (passenger position) and they are all connected, with connections on the face of it also looking good.
Now my question is, do the above mentioned sensors plug into the module underneath the passenger seat (I have checked the connection here), or should I be looking elsewhere?
Any help is greatly appreciated..

Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Flash Code 17 Test

I can't offer a solution to your particular issue, but I can offer a low-tech test that you might find helpful. I haven't seen this posted before, but perhaps I missed it.

By way of background, my '04 XJR displayed flash code 17 (DTC B2291) immediately after having had the headliner replaced recently. I had the upholstery shop check the three occupant position sensors (one in the A post and two in the headliner itself) that were disturbed during their work and they confirmed that all were correctly connected. I then tried to clear the DTC and flash code using Autoenginuity with the enhanced Jaguar interface, but both immediately reset themselves, indicating to me that there is a hardware/wiring issue. I even had a local Jaguar dealer attempt to clear the code (but not diagnosis further since the attempt to clear the code was a no-cost courtesy), but they too couldn’t clear it. However, I have been able to confirm that all four position sensors (including the sensor in the center stack) are at least being powered. I have done this by listening to them. You might try the following:

1. Locate the inner cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels.
2. Park your car in a quiet location, preferably in a closed garage.
3. Sit in the passenger seat and turn the ignition key to Position II (the normal run position). Ensure the climate control and sound systems are off.
4. Place the tube over each sensor one at a time and listen for the rapid clicking that the ultrasonic transducer emits. While inaudible under normal conditions, each should be audible using the tube.
5. Turn the key off to confirm for yourself that the clicks only occur when the key is in Position II.

In my case, I can hear the clicking at each sensor, but the one at the center of the headliner ("Roof Rear Center Transducer") is much fainter. Perhaps this sensor is bad in my car.

While this test is not a replacement for the much more complex pinpoint tests that the Jaguar X350 Workshop Manual describes, it doesn't take very long and the price is right.

Hopefully this will help in your diagnosis.

Dan

The following 2 users liked this post by DanJensen:
akka (07-21-2014), FrankZ06 (02-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 AM

Excellent Dan, joining a forum such as this and receiving an answer such as yours is what it's all about, thank you..
I will have a go at this some time today..

Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Here is the section from Jaguar TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) XJ 2004MY onwards for Code 17:

DTC is Diagnostic Trouble Code and PID is Parameter Identification Code. A scantool such as AutoEnginuity with Jaguar Enhancement can read and clear DTC's but Mongoose is required to interface with PID's. The warning light will go out if the code is cleared but will return if the underlying fault has not been resolved.

A single Code 17 sequence is indicative of an individual sensor fault. Four repetitions of the sequence before the AirBag light stays on is likely to be a module fault.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Flash code 17-x350-code-17.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DanJensen (06-01-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by DanJensen
I can't offer a solution to your particular issue, but I can offer a low-tech test that you might find helpful. I haven't seen this posted before, but perhaps I missed it.

By way of background, my '04 XJR displayed flash code 17 (DTC B2291) immediately after having had the headliner replaced recently. I had the upholstery shop check the three occupant position sensors (one in the A post and two in the headliner itself) that were disturbed during their work and they confirmed that all were correctly connected. I then tried to clear the DTC and flash code using Autoenginuity with the enhanced Jaguar interface, but both immediately reset themselves, indicating to me that there is a hardware/wiring issue. I even had a local Jaguar dealer attempt to clear the code (but not diagnosis further since the attempt to clear the code was a no-cost courtesy), but they too couldn’t clear it. However, I have been able to confirm that all four position sensors (including the sensor in the center stack) are at least being powered. I have done this by listening to them. You might try the following:

1. Locate the inner cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels.
2. Park your car in a quiet location, preferably in a closed garage.
3. Sit in the passenger seat and turn the ignition key to Position II (the normal run position). Ensure the climate control and sound systems are off.
4. Place the tube over each sensor one at a time and listen for the rapid clicking that the ultrasonic transducer emits. While inaudible under normal conditions, each should be audible using the tube.
5. Turn the key off to confirm for yourself that the clicks only occur when the key is in Position II.

In my case, I can hear the clicking at each sensor, but the one at the center of the headliner ("Roof Rear Center Transducer") is much fainter. Perhaps this sensor is bad in my car.

While this test is not a replacement for the much more complex pinpoint tests that the Jaguar X350 Workshop Manual describes, it doesn't take very long and the price is right.

Hopefully this will help in your diagnosis.

Dan
Right, I have done the above and it would appear that only the sensor in the B post and the centre console are making the clicking noise. The ones on the A post and the roof console are silent?
Now I've been wading through the big lump of paperwork and receipts that came with this car and although there is no record of any SRS system work, it has had a new windscreen, fairly recently.
Now I have looked at the connections that are close to the sensors and indeed the connection to the module under the passenger seat, all of which on the face of it seem good. So my question is, does anyone out there in Jaguar land know of, or have experience of any additional connections behind the dash or under the carpet. Or given that it has had a new windscreen recently, should I be looking for trapped or chaffed wiring?
I can see this issue winding me right up

Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the 17 problem also --------------had srs mod reset --------------2 years ago ----all is fine

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM

I am getting a little frustrated with this problem now!
I am still getting flash code 17 repeated five times before getting the solid SRS light on my instrument cluster.
Now I don't posses Engineuity or similar at the moment and my question is, would this help me to narrow down my problem. I mean point me at a specific component?
If so does any member on here have Engineuity or similar, that lives reasonably close to me (Telford, Shropshire) who would be prepared to plug it into my car and see what's what?
My other question is, can the good people of this fine forum recommend any breakers of Jaguars, as I have a horrible feeling that I will have to start throwing money at this car soon.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Graham:

Thanks for the tip re a single set of flash codes (which I have) indicating only one sensor/connection is at fault.

A comment the Jag service manager made at the time he had his techs try to clear the flash code was that the PID fault code was not revealed by their equipment because my car was an '04 and added pinpoint testing would be required. I didn't push the issue since the DTC check it was a freebie on his part. However, it struck me as odd that they couldn't read the PID. Can you think of a reason why the PID wouldn't be revealed by their equipment?

Dan

Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Operator error - using the wrong equipment or failing to use it appropriately.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 AM

Update time..... I've actually fixed the flash code 17, yeah I know I'm amazed too!
Basically I dismantled the SRS system and yes it is a maze of cables, sensors and modules and I tested every connection, cable and component.
The only thing that was not performing properly, although it was working, was the A post position sensor. Now I didn't fancy buying second hand, so I started my search for one sensor. The franchised dealers I tried were about as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike, I swear that they pull random people off the street, give them a Jaguar shirt and call them a technician? They really have no idea and solve problems by throwing new components at the car until the problem disappears!!
So anyway, after having several weeks of no luck, I had a contract at a well known car manufacturer in Belgium and drove over there in my Jag. Over a coffee the one morning, I was chatting to a German auto electronics design engineer and mentioned the problem. Later the same day, over another coffee, he gave me a little package and suggested I chop the connector off, replace it with the connector from the sensor on my car and give it a go.
Well me being Mr slightly cautious, I made some link leads up to save any chopping and low and behold, it bloody well worked. Now I'm not sure whether this non Jaguar component actually came from the factory that I was actually in or not (it's made by Bosch) and I have no part numbers, but it just goes to show, Jaguar dealers don't know it all (in my experience they know very little) and if a component is designed to do a specific job and you can make it fit, it doesn't necessarily have to have a Jaguar logo on it!
Next time I may well pay a visit to Maplin, that's the UK version of Radio Shack for our American friends..

Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have checked mine (have issue 17 also) and I can see that the A-Pillar connector is broken (the foil not the wires). Any ideas where I can get one of these from?