XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

flickering head light problem on Jaguar XJ 2.7 Deisel Sport Premium 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry flickering head light problem on Jaguar XJ 2.7 Deisel Sport Premium 2006

Does each headlight have its own ignighter switch or is there ony one switch for both head lights

I have a flickering halogen bulb on drivers side dipped only on headlamp cluster

My Jag mechanic says it is likely to be a faulty ignighter switch as they are ignighter headlights

He say the new switch will cost £700 Sterling

Is there any way of checking the ignighter?

Where is it possitioned ?

Where can I buy a second hand switch in the UK?

Thanks

Peterc

Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard JF peterc
great to have you here with us.

I'm moving this to the XJ section for you so you get better responses......good luck

Hope you enjoy the site.....

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

A bit confused by your post as halogen bulbs do not use igniters nor do they flicker. HID arc bulbs do have them however, but the igniters are built into the base of the replaceable D2S bulbs. They are also prone to flickering with age or you may need ballasts, if indeed you have HID lamps.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default STR-Similar problem

Interesting post!
I was just about to post a similar problem. Drivers side (RHS) Xenon HID has been flikering for several days and has just finally gone out!
Jaguar spare parts have told me here in Melbourne Aust. that they have never had to supply an S Type HID/Xenon bulb (C2S15072)! And that it is probably the Ignitor (C2S15080) that is faulty.
The only way I can think of checking without spending any money is taking the low beam HID/Xenon bulb from the LHS and swapping over to the faulty RHS.
Of course this is a pain in the A** as the bumper needs to be loosened to get to the bulb!
Also there are plenty of scary warning stickers telling me that I will die of high voltage if I attempt this proceedure! I cant see an issue if the battery is disconected.
Also do the dealers have an easy way to check this??

Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM
jya

Originally Posted by peterc
Does each headlight have its own ignighter switch or is there ony one switch for both head lights

I have a flickering halogen bulb on drivers side dipped only on headlamp cluster

My Jag mechanic says it is likely to be a faulty ignighter switch as they are ignighter headlights

He say the new switch will cost £700 Sterling

Is there any way of checking the ignighter?

Where is it possitioned ?

Where can I buy a second hand switch in the UK?

Thanks

Peterc

Peter, I assume you are having the problem with your HID low beam light and not the high beam halogen quartz one.
The HID globes from Jaguar are around $500 and the igniters from Jaguar around $200 for the S Types, they should be similar for your model. Do not pay 700 Sterling!
Of course these are all rip off prices and you can do better on the globes at least. I have yet to do the research on the ignitors.
The globes for sale on Ebay and such appear to fall in two categories; the recognised brands like Osram, Phillips, Narva etc. usually made in Europe and the no-names (with plenty of USA sellers for these on Ebay) that I strongly suspect come out of Asia as no country of origin is mentioned or bragged about.
I dont know about others but the only Asian country I would not want to buy from is China and as there is no way to ascertain this or the quality of the Asian products you are forced to look at the recognised brands. Which is not such a bad thing but of course they are twice the price, er but still a fraction of the dealer mark up!

PS. Have a look at my previous also.

John

Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

As I posted previously, the XJ uses a D2S bulb with an integrated igniter. OEM Osram Xenarc is available on Amazon for only $40 USD. No reason to buy an inferior product to save a few dollars.

The following users liked this post:
jya (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

The only way I can think of checking without spending any money is taking the low beam HID/Xenon bulb from the LHS and swapping over to the faulty RHS.
Of course this is a pain in the A** as the bumper needs to be loosened to get to the bulb!
Also there are plenty of scary warning stickers telling me that I will die of high voltage if I attempt this proceedure! I cant see an issue if the battery is disconected.
Also do the dealers have an easy way to check this??
Use a bit of common sense and you will be fine. Just don't touch any live wires.

The following users liked this post:
jya (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
jya

Thanks Jahummer,

You have saved me and Im sure Peterc quite some time researching the ignitors. I keep forgetting to look at Amazon. Fleabay is usually my first point of call.

Any idea what OEM the low beam D2S lamps are?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jya
Thanks Jahummer,

You have saved me and Im sure Peterc quite some time researching the ignitors. I keep forgetting to look at Amazon. Fleabay is usually my first point of call.

Any idea what OEM the low beam D2S lamps are?
You are welcome!

Osram/Sylvania Xenarc are the factory ones. Dealers here in the states get upwards of $120 apiece + installation, so at around $40, Amazon is a sure bet.