XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Foglight x350 bulb change

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglight x350 bulb change

So the parts guy and the shopfloor lead mechanic at Momentum Houston could not tell me how to change a lightbulb. Here is a pic of the back end of the light bulb with the end broken. My other foglight even worse so must replace both. BUT I also saw the light bulb in the housing/pigtail for sale on its own

There is a gasket type structure which links with the 'pigtail' structure. If pic 2 is to be believed then it may be as simple as buying the pic 2 unit and installing. I doubt it.

So can anyone tell me how to change a lightbulb and the part # for the bulb. Can I buy these bulbs on ebay...what am I looking for?

Attached Thumbnails Foglight x350 bulb change-jag-fog-light-back-end.jpg   Foglight x350 bulb change-jag-foglight-bulb-only.jpg  
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have one used complete unit and an end cap with a good bulb. They both have good bulbs.

I bought two units for a project but wrecked one unit and am no longer interested in the project.

The bulb is an H3 type bulb, thats what is stamped on the metal surround where the bulb goes, and I bought brighter bulbs on Ebay and have had no problems using them.

The back piece, see pic, screws off.

There is an S-type one for sale on Ebay for $60 free shipping however the glass is somewhat "unclear" which is a common issue with used units and since its glass its very difficult to polish.

PM me if interested in my unit.

Attached Thumbnails Foglight x350 bulb change-p1080102.jpg   Foglight x350 bulb change-p1080101.jpg  

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brit57 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much. I need both sides and am not in a hurry so I can wait until I find the other with maybe the pigtail missing, in which case the other part will just attach.
You have to say how the pigtail is the OK part. When I was at the dealership looking at these parts I was concerned I might break the end if I tried too hard to remove to install a bulb.
You have some nice toys. Obviously the convertible is the biz. But I really like the sedan with the 4X # plate. What is that one? Do you have any other XJ8 (350) parts just lying around? Haha.
It seems you like to tinker with these cars. So I'm presuming you probably have an OBD2 scanner. What do you recommend? I'm looking at a bluetooth connecter where one has to buy software such as Torque PRO or similar. Then I came across this
which requires software from this DBSCar,???.
I can see myself keeping this car believing it to be a challenge. Am I that big a masochist? In 2004 this car cost a tad under my house. My house has no such issues. My 2000 Tundra with 200K miles and bought for 1/3rd the price of this beast cannot be destroyed. Crazy.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I sent you a message.

The rear most section of the foglite unit screws off but you need to make sure you do not leverage it to one side when unscrewing.

The next section in which holds the reflector bowl comes off as well. It is held in place by two flat plastic clips but you have to unscrew the adjusting screw to get the whole thing off.

I use British Diagnostics JLR SDD for serious diagnostic work but will not use it to actually
do any programming.

I have a standard ODBII scanner that will read and reset "standard" non Jaguar specific fault codes.

I have ordered an ELM327 Bluetooth device that I am going to try to connect to my head unit via an android tablet running something like Torque Pro. More "tinkering".

I do have spare items but like to keep most for spares in case I will need them.

If I see something on Ebay that I think I might need down the road and I can get it for a good price I will go for it.

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-09-2016 at 07:52 AM.