XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP

I have R/H Front shock leaking when it's below freezing. I've left it alone all summer knowing that before the first freeze I will need to resolve it. I refuse to pay $400 for a rebuilt or $800 to $1200 for new. I've thought about using the green slime or something like that as posted in other threads and I also thought about using a tire patch repair kit which I will do if I need to but......I found a few websites (after extensive searching) that sell replacement air bags. I'd like to have the part in my hand before I take the shock apart....so my question is....is there a tech guy that knows the specs for the air bag? i.e. diameter, length, throw, extended dimension etc....the air bags I found are $75 to $150. I'll share steps, pictures and websites if I can make it work.

Love my jag....happy motoring!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Cool, pics will be welcome ,happy driving

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

my friend if its leaking around the top capping then all you have to do is pack the inner rim of the mount where the air lines feeds the shock from under the hood..to check and see if its the capping just spray soapy water around the rim edge. ..let me know if you confirm the leak location...

Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM

The leak happens "only" when it's 32 deg f. I'm not going to wait and troubleshoot it then. I will take the shock out and find out where it's leaking and that's what I'll fix. or try to!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have the same problem. Is there an update to this saga?

My 2004 XJR experiences the same issue of Air Suspension Faults when it is cold. I can hear and feel air leaking from the top area of the LF shock but can't tell exactly where it is coming from.

"...if its leaking around the top capping then all you have to do is pack the inner rim of the mount where the air lines feeds the shock from under the hood..."

How difficult is it to pack the inner rim of the mount (not sure exactly what that is)? I'm pretty handly and would like to fix it right away, but it's colder than xxxx here now and I don't want to tear into something that turns into a huge project.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Air Leak

I had the same problem last month. I sprayed some soapy water and found the leak was from the brass fittings for the airline. Removed them and replaced the O-rings, all is fine now.

Attached Thumbnails Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP-left-front-air-line-fitting.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Default I wish :-(

I wish it were that simple, mine is coming from near the center (there is some kind of sensor there), but not around the nut itself.

Attached Thumbnails Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP-left%2520front%2520air%2520line%2520fitting.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Default leak

Originally Posted by Fitz
My 2004 XJR experiences the same issue of Air Suspension Faults when it is cold. I can hear and feel air leaking from the top area of the LF shock but can't tell exactly where it is coming from.

"...if its leaking around the top capping then all you have to do is pack the inner rim of the mount where the air lines feeds the shock from under the hood..."

How difficult is it to pack the inner rim of the mount (not sure exactly what that is)? I'm pretty handly and would like to fix it right away, but it's colder than xxxx here now and I don't want to tear into something that turns into a huge project.

Thanks!
I would recommend a clear rtv silcone...just run a bead in the upper ring of the capping...both inner and outer...let it sit for 1 hour..crank the car and allow it to raise,then sut it off and then open hood and listen for the leak,and have some soapy water on standby to spray if needed..This is just a temp fix until you get another one and alos takes the overloaded from the air pump that will burn out if overloaded with numerous refills...I highly recommend arnott industries...420.00 after rebate and labor will fix the shock..that isnt bad,i had a 1995 mazda 929 and a regular strut was 300.00 and labor 300.00 so the 420.00 isnt bad,and its better built than the oem shocks... Good luck

The following users liked this post:
MK 82 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Default Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP

First, I would like to apologize for letting so much time pass before I responded. I took my right side air spring out, cleaned it up, charged it up with air and looked for leaks with soapy water, but could find no leak. I put it in the freezer overnight and checked it the next morning. I did find a leak in the inner cap area. I opted to use a two part sealant as my feelings that RTV would not hold the 125 plus PSI and that's without a load on them. I reinstalled the shock and drove it after the sealant cured. Drove it for almost two weeks then on my way home from work one night it went flat. My feeling is that the cap leaking would never have caused the shock to go flat while driving. I'm not sure what the pressure spikes to when you hit a bump but I had a major leak. I did not enjoy the trip home. I would stop shut the car off, turn it one and let the system charge then drive off till the "too low" light came on then repeated this till I got home. I was pleased at the construction of the lifetime warranty of the Arnott shock. Just not worth the hassle and danger involved in troubleshooting. If the weather was bad when it went flat I would have been screwed. If the left one goes out or hints at a problem I will just replace it like I did with the right side.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 912guy
..I highly recommend arnott industries...420.00 after rebate and labor will fix the shock.. isnt bad,and its better built than the oem shocks... Good luck
Tell me how it is better then OEM. Remember there are two major components to these units. The air bag part may be better than OEM but the shock part is most likely a 40,000 mile one recycled from a core. Very few units receive new or rebuilt shock absorbers. This info is straight from Arnott. This is why I am hesitant to buy them. Sure they are guaranteed but that is little consolation if you have to replace them twice.

Eddie 04 VDP

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
Tell me how it is better then OEM. Remember there are two major components to these units. The air bag part may be better than OEM but the shock part is most likely a 40,000 mile one recycled from a core. Very few units receive new or rebuilt shock absorbers. This info is straight from Arnott. This is why I am hesitant to buy them. Sure they are guaranteed but that is little consolation if you have to replace them twice.

Eddie 04 VDP
well let me just put it this way... I have had a Arnott Shock on my car for over three years...and the oem shock lasted 4 years...at 1300.00 bucks per shock...I have a 2004 vdp also and a 2004 xjr ...the Arnott product has pretty much paid for itself...I was told the enternals have beefier rings and seals inside...and the oem shocks have absolutely no warranty on them after a year.The way see it at least they Arnott product is stood behind for much longer time..and at the end of the day that says much to my wallet..I guess you just have to weigh out the cons or pros...if the extra work and time isnt or is worth saving 880.00 from not buying the oem then full steam ahead.But if you try and rebuild it and it doesnt work as well as you desire you may want to just get one rebuilt or a new one...keep us posted good luck

Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

I totaly agree with "912guy". My right front shock lowers when the temp is below 40 F, but stays filled when parked in the garage, or warmer temps. I am not planning on doing a change till it goes out since I only use it about once per week.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys,

I'm experiencing the same problem with our 04 XJ8 but on our car both sides drop, not just one side. The back is fine. Only the front drops and it pumps back up after it has been shut off and restarted.

Does this indicate a different problem??

Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

..I was told the enternals have beefier rings and seals inside...
You are talking about the actual shock absorber? Told by whom? The air bag doesn't have rings and seals to my knowledge. I didn't know about the 1 yr warranty. That does change things. FWIW you can get new OEM for about $1100.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
You are talking about the actual shock absorber? Told by whom? The air bag doesn't have rings and seals to my knowledge. I didn't know about the 1 yr warranty. That does change things. FWIW you can get new OEM for about $1100.
I was told by the sales people of Arnotte, and yes when your purchase a new Jaguar your shocks only have 1 years manufacturers warranty...that is not part of the powertrain...here at the Jaguar dealership in Hilton Head SC the shock go for 1250.00 each OEM.Either way in my opinion you come out better getting it from Arnott...but let us know what you decide...

Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I was told by the sales people of Arnotte, and yes when your purchase a new Jaguar your shocks only have 1 years manufacturers warranty...that is not part of the powertrain...here at the Jaguar dealership in Hilton Head SC the shock go for 1250.00 each OEM.Either way in my opinion you come out better getting it from Arnott...but let us know what you decide...
WELL, I have a NEW OEM Jaguar front comfort air spring for $800 new in box shipped first come first serve. Now that its cold again itll go fast Im sure

Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

I was told by the sales people of Arnotte, ...
I heard on this Forum that they don't do anything but clean up and test the shock part. If it is terrible you may get a new one but it is very rare. When I held their feet to the fire the Arnott sales folks confirmed that. Which one was lying?

If I get one more failure I will go with the Arnott Coilovers. A NEW unit with a lifetime warranty.

Eddie 04VDP

You won't beat Brutal's deal except for no warranty.

Last edited by MK 82; 12-13-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MBary
Hey Guys,

I'm experiencing the same problem with our 04 XJ8 but on our car both sides drop, not just one side. The back is fine. Only the front drops and it pumps back up after it has been shut off and restarted.

Does this indicate a different problem??
it should pump up after you shut it offand restart,yes that means your sensors are working just fine,and its definitely a front shock leak.I recommend that you change it asap because this will overwork your pump...and the resistor... Keep us posted..pumps are about 1600.00 from the dealer...I managed to get a used one from ebay for 160.00 that i keep on standby..good luck

Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it should pump up after you shut it offand restart,yes that means your sensors are working just fine,and its definitely a front shock leak.I recommend that you change it asap because this will overwork your pump...and the resistor...
Are both shocks working off the same air line or are they independently controlled?

You said I should 'change it' asap but it could just be a seal/connection leaking, right?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Update - Had the car in to the Jag dealer to look at some other items and he confirmed the air shock itself is bad and not repairable. See my post on 12/7 for a picture of where it was leaking. Jag will replace it for $1250 + about $200 labor. I just ordered one from Arnott for $399 and will replace it myself. Yes, Arnott's are 'rebuilt', not new, BUT they give a lifetime warranty. If it ever leaks they replace it free (less shipping and labor). I don't see how I can go wrong with that. Jag won't do that even at $1250, and if their quality had been good in the first place I wouldn't be going through this at 60k miles.

Quick Reply: Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP