XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Fitz, maybe you should redirect your comment to bilstein instead of jaguar since bilstein is the manufacturer, not jaguar. Jaguar is the assembler of the air spring into the car....jus sayin

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitz
Update - Had the car in to the Jag dealer to look at some other items and he confirmed the air shock itself is bad and not repairable. See my post on 12/7 for a picture of where it was leaking. Jag will replace it for $1250 + about $200 labor. I just ordered one from Arnott for $399 and will replace it myself. Yes, Arnott's are 'rebuilt', not new, BUT they give a lifetime warranty. If it ever leaks they replace it free (less shipping and labor). I don't see how I can go wrong with that. Jag won't do that even at $1250, and if their quality had been good in the first place I wouldn't be going through this at 60k miles.
you are absolutely correct...

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 AM

that price sounds correct o my knowledge,1250.00 plus1.5 hours for labor....

Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MBary
Are both shocks working off the same air line or are they independently controlled?

You said I should 'change it' asap but it could just be a seal/connection leaking, right?
well their are actually 7 feed lines, I cant remember the flow chart or static order,but some operate off pressure reaction to road feedback,and some are just for inflation, no you dont have to replace both,just determine the one thats leaking,if one in the front leaks then the front will lower,if one in the rear leaks then the back usually lowers..if u park the car just open the hood and listen to both sides u can usually hear a soft hiss,or u can use soapy water..if its leaking underneath take a mechanic stethoscope with the tire off to pinpoint the leak.let us know and keep me posted thanks

Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 912guy
well their are actually 7 feed lines, I cant remember the flow chart or static order,but some operate off pressure reaction to road feedback,and some are just for inflation,
Are you making this up or just guessing. I am sure you mean well but sometimes bad poop is better than no poop. There are 6 lines going to the solenoid block. 1 for each shock, 1 for the compressor, and 1 for the tank. Each shock has its own line but the fronts work together and the rears are independent. There is no pressure reaction to road feedback. There is however variable damping.

Eddie 04 VDP

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
Are you making this up or just guessing. I am sure you mean well but sometimes bad poop is better than no poop. There are 6 lines going to the solenoid block. 1 for each shock, 1 for the compressor, and 1 for the tank. Each shock has its own line but the fronts work together and the rears are independent. There is no pressure reaction to road feedback. There is however variable damping.

Eddie 04 VDP
I have to say my friend at what gain do i have to esrn by making up anything?what is the prize for me to make up,mislead,or to harm anyone here?as stated in the reply I havent seen the flow chart in a very long time,and to the best of my recollection 7 lines fed into the solenoid,ok i missed it by one(been maybe 8 years since I saw the schematic)...and as for the static or feedback this is what I was told by a Jag Tech,WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT I HAVE CHANGED FRONT SHOCKS,AND A SUSPENSION PUMP,A SUPERCHARGER,A EGR VALVE( FOR A XJR),SERVICED THE ZF TRANNY,CHANGED ALL BRAKES AND ROTORS (ON XJ AND XJR MODELS),CHANGED THE DOOR MODULE FOR THE FOB,CHANGED ALMOST EVERY REAR MEDIA MODULE IN THE XJ SEDANS,PLUGS,KNOCK SENSORS FROM A XJR,WATER PUMPS,IGNITION COILS,DSC MODULES,THROTTLE BODIES,REAR AND FRONT AC VENTS,EXPANSION TANKS,TROUBLESHOT FIBER OPTIC LINES,OIL,INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS,REPLACED A OEM SUPERCHARGER PULLEY WITH A 2.5 PSI UPGRADE,XENONS,AND MUCH MORE.So please tell me what is it that I have stepped on and cant wipe off my feet and now passing it on when it comes to sharing information that I have learned and has been a great help to myself and countless other owners of these cars.Believe me I am not here to earn strips, or earn popularity.This is what I find in many of these rooms,someone is always there to whom is the genius of redonkulousness exuding poor criticism without all the facts.Yes you are correct, I do mean well but I will let you have the floor my friend.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

It is very simple my friend. If your advice is based on something you heard 8 years ago or some other hear say then identify it as such. Otherwise you are only hurting your credibility and not helping the OP. Try not to take this personally but it is the not the first time I have seen you post drivel.

I hate to tell you but Jag techs are human. With the exception of Brutal and the real professionals, you will sometimes get bullshit. I will be the first to tell you if i don't know. If I post advice i am not sure of, I will identify it as such.

You demonstrate your lack of class by trying to turn this into something personal. If you just want your post count up then go to off topic. My experience in this world and my education is way over your head.

Eddie 04 VDP

Last edited by MK 82; 12-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
It is very simple my friend. If your advice is based on something you heard 8 years ago or some other hear say then identify it as such. Otherwise you are only hurting your credibility and not helping the OP. Try not to take this personally but it is the not the first time I have seen you post drivel.

I hate to tell you but Jag techs are human. With the exception of Brutal and the real professionals, you will sometimes get bullshit. I will be the first to tell you if i don't know. If I post advice i am not sure of, I will identify it as such.

You demonstrate your lack of class by trying to turn this into something personal. If you just want your post count up then go to off topic. My experience in this world and my education is way over your head.

Eddie 04 VDP
over my head?? lol omg you make me laugh,yes the jag techs are human and so are we...and everyone here I have to say,but feel free to correct me since your the erudite...I speak three langauages fluently,and I have a Masters.....lol omg this is really funny to me....I do not take it personal but I have to take it as it presents itself....silliness... Since I finally have a fan,feel free to correct me from here out since you feel the need to critique me..( IF I MISLEAD SOMEONE WITH FALSE INFO)ask one person on this or any site have I harmed them...and please tell us all the answer?...lol please do that...but I have to say,please explain to us if you feel the need,what makes you the expert?OH by the way did I not mention I was a business owner too?But please correct me because as we all can see we or at least me seem to be way below your education...this is so funny.And this is not Political Science 1A,so keep class out of it...It is about someone losely accusing in the form of a question that someone is making up information,My wording doesnt have to be to your standards "If I post advice i am not sure of, I will identify it as such. If your advice is based on something you heard 8 years ago or some other hear say then identify it as such. "I dont mind someone adding to my advice ,but when you attack what I say as if I may be making up lies to the Jaguar Brotherhood,that is another thing.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

C'mon guys. Lighten up a little! I asked a question and got a good sample of answers to give me a feel for where to look for my leaks. No one has the absolute tell all answers so one must take in all the info available and average it out to make our own conclusion.
:icon _beerchug:

Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Tis the Holiday Season

Here is a little info in Black and White, schematics of the electrical and air components of the suspension. If you need more info, the Jag Techs are waiting and I believe there is a thread on troubleshooting.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Suspension El schematic.doc (172.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: doc
Suspension air schematic.doc (131.5 KB, 204 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM

im not human, im a spam bot.... we have no lack of testosterone around here now do we.........the only thing I was ever accused of screwing up was

choices made in women and

not having a full grasp of the properties of thermal dynamics, but thank GOD Jagular set me down the path to righteous religious scientific freedoms of thermal dynamics and now Im a believer

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

The list of people I have pissed off is long and distinguished. Guess I won't get a Xmas card from 912guy. I calls em as I see em. I have a PHd in Fighter Pilot. That was good enough to get you into an argument. You had to get yourself out. I sent a few people to meet their virgins and had to eject once. I don't let cyber dust ups affect me. If you post something blatantly wrong or suspect hearsay, you will get called on it. Range is hot!

Eddie
Sierra Hotel

P.S. I am with you Brutal. I don't give advice about relationships except how not to do it. If it is hot it will burn you.

Originally Posted by Brutal
im not human, im a spam bot.... we have no lack of testosterone around here now do we.........the only thing I was ever accused of screwing up was

not having a full grasp of the properties of thermal dynamics, but thank GOD Jagular set me down the path to righteous religious scientific freedoms of thermal dynamics and now Im a believer

Last edited by MK 82; 12-16-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MBary
C'mon guys. Lighten up a little! I asked a question and got a good sample of answers to give me a feel for where to look for my leaks. No one has the absolute tell all answers so one must take in all the info available and average it out to make our own conclusion.
:icon _beerchug:
yes you are correct MBARY thanks and if I can ever be of any help let me know...I have never played with GI JOES and I wont start now.Just a quick note about the Arnotte Shocks..they do look different if you buy one,no outter boots,the mounting studds are truncated also with stainless upper brace or mounting plate,so the air bag is exposed.Mine has worked fine so let us all know what you decide..I hope you get it fixed...

Old 12-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Fitz, maybe you should redirect your comment to bilstein instead of jaguar since bilstein is the manufacturer, not jaguar. Jaguar is the assembler of the air spring into the car....jus sayin
BRUTAL my friend did you have a chance to read my email that I sent you asking your advice about the knock sensor job I did?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 AM

NOW THATS BRUTAL!oH YEA i HAD TO SIT DOWN WITH THE DIVORCE GOD A FEW YEARS AGO,AND HE GAVE ME MYOFFICIAL PAPERS FOR BEING SCREWED IN COURT.....LOL

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM

yes 912 I did, change the sensor
Ive been divorced 3 times. I thought the 3rd marriage was THE last, lol. It was the worst. I have 3 kids Ive raised by myself, she never had kids. Once they hit teens life with her was over. Though she pulled a Rodney Adkins on me and Im still dealing with that one. But life is SOOOO much better without crazy, wacky, needy, self centered women.ooppss back to topic.
You know there is one common thing you 912, and MK, can come to terms on and leave it there, that divorce, marriage and women, too bad those lessons all come from personal experiances huh....cheers

Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Ive been divorced 3 times. I thought the 3rd marriage was THE last, lol.....cheers
I am a charter member of that club. Now I just find some woman that I hate and give her a house every 10 years or so. Much cheaper.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Final result of air suspension fault and leaking shock

Just an FYI to anyone who was following my leaking air shock saga. I received the rebuilt shock from Arnott. I planned to install it myself but laying on the cold cement in my garage didn't sound like that much fun (it's been in the teens and 20s here this week). I took it to my local shop and he was happy to install it for one hour labor - $85.

It's been a couple of days of very cold weather and everything is perfect. I am a happy camper! I don't know why someone would want to change out the original Jag suspension for a aftermarket non-adjustable system, but everyone has their own needs. The sport suspension system is one of the features that attracted me to the Jag and I'm glad I was able to keep it.

Note to Brutal. Not to be argumentative, but since you brought it up, I don't really care who made the shocks - they came OEM on the Jag and in my opinion should last longer than 60k. But the real issue for me was OEM for $1250 with 1 year warranty vs. Arnott rebuilt for $400 with lifetime warranty=no brainer.

I love driving the car again. Looking for excuses to drive. Anyone need anything from the store?

Last edited by Fitz; 12-24-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Fitz you're absolutely right. Makes you wonder why Jag allows Arnott to one up 'em like this.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I was once told that:

I'm a Scholar, a Gentleman, and a good judge of bad women !!

Quick Reply: Front Air Shock, 2004 XJ8 VDP