XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front Air Strut Cut-Away

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 110 Likes on 42 Posts

The shock study and fix I did on my xjr x358

The green graph is the Comfort setting of the front, dark blue is sport setting and the tur quise is the rear at sport (closed bypass)
One of my front was stuck in open bypass (comfort)

Facebook Post

Ole Mobeck

Last edited by Mobeck Tekniske; 11-06-2017 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-06-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reyes still there?

First compliments on the photography! Most helpful

My question:
My 2004 XJR has problems on the front suspension. Both were replaced with used ones. Now I think they have put comfort suspensions (C2C41347) instead of sport (C2C 41352) on my cat.
What is the difference between the comfort and the sport struds? and how can I see the difference from the outside?

Thanks
Rob, from the Netherlands

Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 110 Likes on 42 Posts

Rob, the sport units has a red dot on the top of the strut, on the black tin tank.
The Comfort has a green dot. Se in my Picture its red. There is also a white Version witch I think is so called universal replacement but I am not shure.

The difference is that the sport Version has a smaller air Chamber and is threfore more progressive as a airspring, lets say it acts like a stiffer spring.
The green has a laarger air Chamber in each shock.

Ole M

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mobeck Tekniske
Rob, the sport units has a red dot on the top of the strut, on the black tin tank.
The Comfort has a green dot. Se in my Picture its red. There is also a white Version witch I think is so called universal replacement but I am not shure.

The difference is that the sport Version has a smaller air Chamber and is threfore more progressive as a airspring, lets say it acts like a stiffer spring.
The green has a laarger air Chamber in each shock.

Ole M
Thanks, verry helpfull!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Robofoto
Reyes still there?

First compliments on the photography! Most helpful

My question:
My 2004 XJR has problems on the front suspension. Both were replaced with used ones. Now I think they have put comfort suspensions (C2C41347) instead of sport (C2C 41352) on my cat.
What is the difference between the comfort and the sport struds? and how can I see the difference from the outside?

Thanks
Rob, from the Netherlands
Sometimes my comfort factory super v8 setup feels like a hovercraft and real jag, sometimes very harsh.. I did found nothing logic when and why it behaves like that and not like that.. and the only true forecast was on STR sping+strut setup without surprises. I guess your struts were dying and could behave the same. Also noticed after jacking at shop and auto-leveling it always felt better and softer

PS I thought before that evident difference only in rear air bag size and fronts are the same. Am I wrong?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
I finally have the time to cut into one of my old struts, it does have rubber seals but they are not user replaceable. Will post more photos in a few days.

I have trouble making out the actual air bag.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Default Air valve connection

I have a 2006 x j 8 L , air valve, the connection for the air valve pushes in and out of the shock is that fixable without replacing the whole shock. I believe it would be an o ring that's out of place but how to replace that, does anybody have it

Old 08-10-2019, 01:33 PM

So to reiterate that? I believe that the Body of the car Is in the way for the valve to actually come out all the way. I'm pretty sure that if I drop the shock the valve will come out but is there way to put it back in to make it stay without it popping back out under pressure of bumps and potholes

Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco Persico
I have a 2006 x j 8 L , air valve, the connection for the air valve pushes in and out of the shock is that fixable without replacing the whole shock. I believe it would be an o ring that's out of place but how to replace that, does anybody have it
Hi Rocco,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

The air line connects to the pressure-retaining valve via a compression ferrule or "olive" and nut. Is it your pressure-retaining valve (PRV) that has come loose from the air spring/shock absorber? If so, it may need to be threaded back into the air spring top plate. See this thread for information about the system and links to helpful documents:

Jaguar X350 Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

It might help us help you if you could post a photo or two to illustrate the problem.

In the meantime, please also visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks to Reyes for his work.

I’ve been working on my sons X358, complete rear subframe rebuild on second hand subframe, blasted and painted, all new arms, bolts, handbrake motor, cables, stabilisers etc. Tank and prop shaft out and new front to back and over axle brake pipes (jaguar parts as recommended by member on subframe removal topic, very reasonably priced!). The complete subframe was in a very poor condition, rust and all bushes shot (not unusual apparently), poor for an 11 year old car and 99K miles. We have dismantled the struts as far as we can and they are rusty too, including where the air bag runs. I always like to know what’s going on inside parts and Reyes’s photos are just the job, will post some photos in a new thread, if that’s appropriate.
Bob