XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

front end suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default front end suspension questions

I was attacking the front end to swap out rearward front lower control arm bushing and the shock bushing, outer tie rod end and now the inner tie....

After getting bushings pressed in I go to attach the steering knuckle and I discover that I damaged the threads on the ball joint which is a part of the steering knuckle and now can't get the nut to go back on for reassembly

I don't think a tap & die will work to re thread it as the ball joint is attached to the steering knuckle which would get in the way of trying to re-thread it I would imagine...
Question 1.....is that ball joint replaceable? I hope I am not forced to buy another steering knuckle w/ ball joint

Question 2..... Has any one ever replaced an inner tie rod themselves? Will there be a special tool required to remove the inner tie rod? (they don't include that in the X350 workshop manual I have)
I drove with the bad lower control arm bushings too long it seems, as the inner tie rod shaft is bent on the threaded area from all that clunking in the front end and now I will need to replace it or somehow bend it back straight? In serious need of an alignment after all of this

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 09-01-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:20 PM

still looking for tips on Question # 2

I was able to fix the steering knuckle ball joint by cutting off the top part of the threaded shaft of the BJ with a dremel.
So incase anyone out there messes up the threading on their ball joint shaft, be careful and cut the damaged threads off so you can get the screw to spin freely again

if anyone has information on replacing inner tie rod I would love to know

Mahalo

Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm sorry I don't have info on the inner tie rod--I had started looking for that myself last year. Ended up with a bent inner tie rod--steering wheel alignment can not be made perfect with this.

I did find that the inner tie rod is sold by a UK company--but not sure since no other catalog of Jag parts shows this as serviceable. It can certainly be replaced, it was done when the rack was put together, but Jag says the whole unit would have to be replaced. I don't buy that for a second.

I'm tempted to search out a used rack just to pull apart and steal the inner tie rod from.

-Michael

Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Thanks Michael,

I've found some inner tie rods on eBay claiming to fit the 04 XJR on the comparability charts.
Also rock auto has an inner tie rod/outer tie rod end combo for sale.
It's my understanding that there is a special tool required to remove and install in as it has a rounded mounting point that a standard wrench wouldn't be able to loosen/tighten.

Perhaps we can find a write up for a different car that has had the inner tie rod replaced.
Another option would be to bend the inner toe rod back in place, not sure if a standard blow torch would get it hot enough to bend but it's worth a shot id say.

Anyone else with input on this please chime in! I know someone has replaced this on these forums!

Aloha

Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Something like these? 2 Inner Tie Rod End Jaguar Vande Plas 04 09 X350 05 09 X358 03 09 | eBay I had not seen these on eBay when I was searching for mine last year. I was trying to find the link to the UK supplier that sold them, but no luck. I believe they were selling them as compatible with an S type rack. Will look again later and update if I find the link.

Those ones on eBay look just like any typical Ford inner tie rod (recently changed some on an old Ranger), you just need a wide open end wrench to grip the flats on it. May also be a drift pin type of retainer.

Bending mine back into shape is a lost cause... I just need to replace it.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiianjag (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 PM

yea something like that. They claim compatible with the XJR. Looks like there is a little hole on those for the pin retainer I would imagine.
How would you go about getting the pin retainer out would you think?
Don't want to get to that point then not have the tool to complete.... or is it just able to be hammered out with a little drift that fits the hole?

I may try to use some MAP gas and heat the shaft where the bend is in my inner tie rod to see if I can bend it back with a pipe.... have you tried that?
How did you try bending yours?

If it does come to replacing the tie rod, I'm pretty sure the clamps on the boot will need to be replaced as they get damaged when you take them off. Hopefully those clips are obtainable

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 09-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...0-x350-101725/

These are available from ZF Lemförder (OEM supplier) p/n 2790201

The following 5 users liked this post by Cambo:
AD2014 (09-05-2014), Don B (09-03-2014), JimC64 (09-03-2014), mhamilton (09-09-2014), Partick the Cat (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...0-x350-101725/

These are available from ZF Lemförder (OEM supplier) p/n 2790201
Maybe I missed it but isn't that just the tie-rod end? not the inner tie rod?
thanks for the help though!

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 09-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Have been doing some more digging on this inner tie rod. Just ordered myself a Lemforder replacement inner for myself. From everything I have managed to find, this inner tie rod is identical to the S-type except for the length. Looks like it's a standard R&R, remove the boot, use a large open end wrench and unscrew the inner tie rod, install new one with a dob of Locktite.

See here for photos of the S-Type job: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-68198/ (skip to page 2...) The suspension is nearly identical to our XJ.

Will see for myself when the new part arrives next week. I will likely be replacing mine in the next week or two. Will definitely take and post some photos. Ridiculous that Jag says the entire rack needs to be replaced if the inner tie gets damaged or worn.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your inner tie rods can be replaced with little difficulty.

1- be careful the Rockauto tierod maybe euro model only. It happened to me. the threaded end is twice the length of our N. American cars - why???????????

2 - A reasonably priced replacement is from a LINCOLN LS such as NAPA. I have used this it is an exact fit.

3 - removal is easy disconnect lower ball joint, remove the accordian boot (if you are careful you can reuse the metal attaching straps if not cable ties work as replacements), turn steering wheel left/right to fully expose the round end with flats nearest the steering rack and either a large cresent wrench or small pipe wrench will grip the inner tie rod standard threads so lefty loosey.

good luck

Don B (09-11-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was is estimated lateral links

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by zani1972
was is estimated lateral links
Hi zani1972,

Either I'm more dense than usual this morning or you are using your phone to post to the forum and its predictive text/autocomplete feature has mangled your message.

If you will please re-post your message as you originally intended you'll have a better chance of receiving appropriate replies.

Also, note that one of the outstanding features of the Jaguar Forums is the EDIT button that appears in the lower right corner of your message window. If you overlook a mistake or typographical error before you post your message, you can use the EDIT button to go back and correct your message even after you've submitted it. I believe you have up to 30 minutes to edit your post, so it's always a good idea to proofread your posts after you've submitted them to the forum and make any necessary corrections. I use the EDIT button all the time!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-13-2014 at 11:44 AM.
AD2014 (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 PM

to tell you it does say it on the invoice from the jag dealer that what i really whited to know ?? lol

Old 09-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi zani1972,

Either I'm more dense than usual this morning or you are using your phone to post to the forum and its predictive text/autocomplete feature has mangled your message.

If you will please re-post your message as you originally intended you'll have a better chance of receiving appropriate replies.

Also, note that one of the outstanding features of the Jaguar Forums is the EDIT button that appears in the lower right corner of your message window. If you overlook a mistake or typographical error before you post your message, you can use the EDIT button to go back and correct your message even after you've submitted it. I believe you have up to 30 minutes to edit your post, so it's always a good idea to proofread your posts after you've submitted them to the forum and make any necessary corrections. I use the EDIT button all the time!

Cheers,

Don
the is the invoice they gave me

Attached Thumbnails front end suspension questions-img_0475.jpg  

Last edited by zani1972; 09-13-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blake04VDP
Your inner tie rods can be replaced with little difficulty.

1- be careful the Rockauto tierod maybe euro model only. It happened to me. the threaded end is twice the length of our N. American cars - why???????????

2 - A reasonably priced replacement is from a LINCOLN LS such as NAPA. I have used this it is an exact fit.

3 - removal is easy disconnect lower ball joint, remove the accordian boot (if you are careful you can reuse the metal attaching straps if not cable ties work as replacements), turn steering wheel left/right to fully expose the round end with flats nearest the steering rack and either a large cresent wrench or small pipe wrench will grip the inner tie rod standard threads so lefty loosey.
Glad to hear that replacement is the same as most other cars. Thank you!

I received my Lemforder part today, and can happily report that it is correct and identical to the original I ordered through RockAuto, but this was not listed as a part for the make/model in their catalog. I just typed in the Lemforder part number and ordered it with no application.

Will take pictures when I get around to changing it later this week.