XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front end thunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end thunk

I've been to the dealer now 3 times to examine a front end thunk. There's only one repeatable condition I can find and that is backing out of my driveway in the morning while turning the wheel counter clockwise. I hear a thunk coming from the front passenger side suspension. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also here it intermittently when making a U turn on both sides of the front suspension. The first time I brought the car in, the dealer stated it was simply the brake calipers releasing and it is normal behavior. The 2nd time I brought it in, they replaced a worn part in the steering column which was totally unrelated. The 3rd time I brought it in, they indicated they couldn't replicate the problem.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Front end thunk

I'm in the same boat...

I have an 2007 XJR with a sound issue coming from the the driver front on mine..
its only at low speeds, and during braking or turning the wheel.. to me it sounds like a body stress sound..
and sometimes like a thump...

I have had the car in 3 times for it and its going back again. I give them credit for trying to sort it out
and they have heard replicated the sound... they have replaced a ton of parts... too many to list..
but now its going back again and seems worse.. and I'm concerned..

Please let me know what you find out and I will do the same...

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM

I did find this tsb.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/recalls..._00002/TSB.htm

But there aren't any real details behind it.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I am currently working with the dealer to purchase an '04 VDP which has a very similar sounding popping sound when under hard turn conditions. I can make it pop at will and so can the techs. Since I've won't buy the car with the pop in it, I hope they figure something out tomorrow. If they find something interesting I'll let you know.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The have had a problem with the front crash tubes. Left and right. All dealers shud be aware of this concern. There bulletins about this problem and also the technicle hotline has been aware of this for over 2 years. Some tubes are missing a piece and others just need new bolts put in. They flex and make noise.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM

The front crash tubes are exactly what they are in the process of replacing. 3 hour job under warranty. Dealer still can't replicate the problem so they are taking my word for it and are doing the bulletin anyway. I'll post this weekend when I get to drive the car again as to whether that fixed the problem.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I hope that works for you guys.. I had that done.. and unfortunately for me it didnt resolve anything..
I'm taking in the car next week.. and I will let you know what they plan to do and exactly what they have done in the past that didnt work. There are few TSB's for the front end.. and I know they have done all that apply, just hoping this can get resolved
and fix what is a pretty fantastic car.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 PM

just got my car back. the noise has now changed. Now it sounds like it's coming from the brakes. That tells me that I had two problems. Back to the dealer.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Picked up the VDP tonight. They replaced the left lower control arm and bushings with no joy. After putting it back together and it still popped, they found a loose bolt on the left side holding the anti-sway bar. Retorqued the bolt and no more pop.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

is it a serious problem? cause im getting the same noise either , but my stupid dealer says everything is fine... Im kinda sick of visiting them every week

Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Update: Dealer is in the process of replacing both the left and right front control arms. I also told them to take a look at the sway bar since that seemed to fix JackJohn's problem.

Is it a serious problem? It hasn't been for me...just annoying. I suppose it could get serious if it gets worse. Last thing you would wanna see is a control arm snap or the sway bar mount get thrashed because of a loose bolt.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM

well seems like it can get worse so i better take it to dealer again, just tell me what should i say to them, i just dont get it they are trying to get rid of me every time when i complain about it.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Tell them you hear a front end thunk when driving. Request that the tech go on a test drive with you so that you can replicate the use condition that creates the sound. If you don't create the sound for them...there will be lots of back and forth and potentially a diagnostic charge on you if they don't find anything.

Just got my car back. They replaced both lower front control arms and both front sway bar linkages. No more thunk!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 PM

Sorry folks, I have been out of touch for the last few days due to the hurricane. JagMaster, I was concerned that the popping/thunking would cause something to break loose and since I had not signed the purchase agreement yet they were very anxious to get it fixed. I would tellyour service techexactly what it takes to make the noise happen and then take the tech for a ride if he could not make it happen.

Haven't driven the car much since the storm but so far have been very happy with the purchase.

Jack
2004 VDP

Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

we ve also had some brake problems as well.. some control arms on certain vins.. none of these noise are dangerous just very annoying.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM

I have a front driver side thunk when hitting bumps or potholes. Dealership replaced the shocks, struts and T-bar? and can hear it but just can't seem to find it. After they were examining that area they told me that it had been in a front end collision and that some parts were not fixed. I bought it used and the carfax said it had never been in an accident. (Learned my lesson!) Car looked perfect and was quite when I bought it!!! Dealership won't do anything else and seem to think that maybe a weld broke loose. Car has 82,000 miles and I love it but I am haunted and embarassed by the noise. Still under warranty but don't know what to do.

2004 XJ8 VP

[IMG]local://upfiles/5133/42E28D340FDD44C68386FC29B2E48263.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5133/E5A84D56D55B450EBDBC863D448C313A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Any thing can be fixed, just need to find it!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 AM

dude same here! they replaced everything and guess what? noise is actuallly coming from the hood hinge! can you believe that? not from arms or other stuff , to find out if its the hinge just put ur hands on the driver's (could be both passenger and driver) side of hood on the hinge and push and you sure will hear the noise =) I found it out accidentally while polishing the hood , dealer was like wow!

edit: my jag is like urs twin but not vdp , loved the xenon lights

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks Jagmaster, I will check those.... If could only be that lucky !....if it were something that simple.
Radiance is the best color in XJ's !!! IMHO ... Black is second

Old 09-27-2008, 06:35 PM

wow u must be my secret bro lol, i think the same way, radiance and black are the best colors on xj8. Hope your problem is the hinges , keep me updated!

Quick Reply: Front end thunk