XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front low after being on 2 post lift

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Received 217 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Front low after being on 2 post lift

Hi all,

My local Jag guy had my 2003 xjr up on his 2 post lift while replacing the rear parking brake motor unit.
Back on the ground and the front hasn't come fully back up. Rear is at normal height. He has taken it for a couple of drives but its still a couple of inches low at the front. Both sides at the same height. My car is an early one with two front ride height sensors. No suspension fault codes.
Anybody had this problem before? Any suggestions?

Last edited by paddyx350; Today at 11:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

You sure /not sure... what was DONE to it whilst on the lift? Could be unrelated?

Replacing struts in my case, so I expected to have leveling issues.... but did not.... 'not really'.

Replaced the right front air strut first - it sat high right side, until I replaced the left one about a week later.

"What I did" .... (for Chinese Suncore struts..) was follow the Bilstein OEM You Tube video as to measuring axle center to fender lip, two stages, ignition OFF in between .. but battery NOT disconnected.. etc - and bled the air out of the FIRST one I had changed so both had to be re-filled by the system when I completed the second strut.

Their videos for front and rear explain it well - and in the order it needs to be done.

'SO far' is has leveled properly, L/R and F/R. with the rear struts still the OEM Bilsteins.

CAVEATS: Haven't yet done my rear struts. Single front height sensor here. Your situation may be entirely different, but.... I don't see much risk in doing it the Bilstein way, whether struts are still sound or already leaking.

PS: The front WAS low for several years in cooler weather as the only strut leaking maxed-out the compressor time-out before it ever satisfied the 'proper' level, but after it had satisfied the 'too low' threshold.

Over several years, the leak at the top of the strut was @ 46 F and below, then @ 52 F and below, then @ 64 F .. 'until it leaked even at 80 F and above. Heat from the engine as it warmed-up the underhood area, and the leak closed-up.

Your struts are how old? Did the work done involve a battery disconnect while suspension was not at normal hight or loading?

A fraction of a cent's worth of kid's entertainment "Bubble Stuff" from the poor-folk's store, and the leak became blindingly obvious!! I'll check these more often, going-forward.

2CW

Last edited by Thermite; Today at 06:33 AM.
Old Today, 04:28 AM
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Just a lack of air probably . Might want to check the height sensors condition on the rear . Since work has been don in that area
if you start car again after some rest the compressor will be switched on a couple of seconds after the engine. If still to low on the dash you can drive carefully at about 25mph the compressor is switched on again delivering more air.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the replies..
Just drove home, 25 minute journey, speeds up to 80km/hour, no change, still low at the front. Suspension feels hard/crashy at the front. Still no messages or codes.
I don't think I have any leaks in the front struts as the level did not drop overnight. When it was taken off the lift initially it was right down at the front and had to be jacked to get it off the pads, and it did rise up at the front when the engine was started but not all the way.
Anybody know how I can check that the air compressor is healthy? When the ignition turns on I can hear it start, but literally for a couple of seconds before it turns off. It does this each time you turn on the ignition.
I read in the x350 technical guide that when the system first starts it levels the rear first THEN the front. So I'm thinking maybe the compressor isn't doing the job, but this would probably result in a code ... and there are none.

So just read some live data from my scantool, car stationary, engine running, these are the readings from the height sensors;
Rear left 4mm
Rear right 2mm
Front right -42mm
Front left 45mm

So does anybody know what these values typically are? The front ones look a bit weird, minus 42mm??

Last edited by paddyx350; Today at 09:26 AM.
Old Today, 10:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If you start the engine, the compressor runs a limited time, even if the car is completely low. (This can occur after changing tires with bad leveling.)
I don't remember the exact time, but its about 1minute at max.
This prevents the compressor from overheating.

At a minimum speed (I guess it was 40km/h), the compressor can work longer.

When your car rises always up to the same height and stays there, I don't believe it's a compressor issue.
If you can get your hands on a SDD, try to recalibrate the height. (.. which is pretty easy)
To me it looks like your height sensor is wrong or somehow calibration was lost.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (Today)
Old Today, 11:12 AM
Received 13,006 Likes on 6,497 Posts

Hi Chris,

I took the liberty of editing your title for you.

Ordinarily, we would suspect that your air suspension is disabled because it entered Jacking Mode while on the lift, but it should exit Jacking Mode as soon as the vehicle moves at a minimum of 2 mph - 3 km/h.

Is it possible the front ride height sensors popped off their spring clips while the car was lifted?

I wonder if the rear vertical accelerometer might have been disturbed while the EPB motor was replaced? This could disable air suspension operation, but there should be at least one associated DTC triggered.

Air suspension DTCs are Chassis (C-prefix), Body (B-prefix) and Network (U-prefix) codes, so they cannot be read with a standard OBDII scan tool that can only read Powertrain (P-prefix) codes. Can your tool read these additional DTCs?

It might be worthwhile to try a hard reset: disconnect the battery negative cable and touch it to the battery positive cable for at least two minutes to drain the system keep-alive-memory capacitors. Then reconnect the negative cable and see if the air suspension system resets.

The system is explained in this post:

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

You can download the Air Suspension section from the dealer Training Manual at this link:

Jaguar X350 Service Training Manual: Air Suspension

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; Today at 11:21 AM.
Old Today, 11:12 AM

Ok,

So the car doesn't drop over night or when turned off, but it is consistently low at the front.
I just removed both front wheels to look at the height sensors to see if there was anything obviously physically wrong. The left hand bracket was a very small bit out of square but nothing really.
Jacked up the front to do this, so had both front wheels hanging. When I lowered the car it returned to its previous height at the front and rear (Ok at rear but about 2 inches too low at the front) Went for another drive, no change.
Looked at the live data and the readings from the height sensors were pretty much as reported in my last post.
Seems like you (nebelfuerst) could be right, it has lost its calibration somehow...

Last edited by paddyx350; Today at 11:14 AM.
Don B (Today)
Old Today, 11:23 AM

Hi Don,

1. Just got the wheels off and front sensors look OK
2. My jag guy has SDD and there were no codes for the suspension. I'm using a Carsoft to read the live data
3. I'll check on the rear accelerometer, I think this is in the region of the entertainment/nav stuff on the left hand side of the boot/trunk?
4. I'll try a hard reset and see if that solves things

Last edited by paddyx350; Today at 11:29 AM.
Don B (Today)
Old Today, 11:45 AM

Tried the hard reset, no joy I'm afraid!

Don B (Today)
Old Today, 11:56 AM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Try to get a SDD. With SDD you can calibrate, but you can also tell the jag to lower/raise the front/back. (Looks like a camel )
In SDD you can enter symtoms about bad suspension/wrong height and then it will show procedures to use.

paddyx350 (Today)
Old Today, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by nebelfuerst
Try to get a SDD. With SDD you can calibrate, but you can also tell the jag to lower/raise the front/back. (Looks like a camel )
In SDD you can enter symtoms about bad suspension/wrong height and then it will show procedures to use.
My Jag guy has SDD, wouldn't mess with it myself....
I'll get him to do a recalibration and see if that sorts out the problem..