XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front parking aid speaker, position?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front parking aid speaker position? 2003 X350

Hi all.

New member and first post. Will present car later, but right now I really need to know where the front parking aid speaker is located on an -03 X350 (G00500).

I need to get to it since the OBD tells me it's busted.

Any ideas? I can´t seem to find it and if it´s behind the dash as with the X-type I'm not going to do anything until I am positive of it's position.

Thanks.

Last edited by Skarre; 02-22-2016 at 03:14 AM. Reason: More detailed title.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Ok... of course I just managed to find the correct search terms on google and it turns out to be located in the instrument panel, drivers side, behind the instrument cluster. Anyone knows how to remove the instrument cluster to get to it?

Last edited by Skarre; 02-22-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Look at the How To post in the stickies at the top of this forum and download the workshop manuals specifically the electrical manual which has directions on how to remove the cluster http://www.mediafire.com/download/0i...Electrical.pdf

Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by hafren
Look at the How To post in the stickies at the top of this forum and download the workshop manuals specifically the electrical manual which has directions on how to remove the cluster http://www.mediafire.com/download/0i...Electrical.pdf
Thanks. Very useful download, that's excactly what I have been looking for.

The conclusion regardng the speaker is that one needs to remove centre console (remove gear shift surrond and rear wents, unscrew torx, pull out console) and then the veneer and lastle remove te cluster. Pretty straight forward. The speaker (or buzzer as the OBD titles it) sits in plain sight behind the cluster. Just unscrew and unplug. Then reverse the procedure to get it all back togheter again.

Also thanks for the stickie tip. I hade not noticed that one but will definetly oblige. Title changed accordingly.

Will write presentation today.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:55 PM

I finally came around to sort out the speaker issue.

The speaker is located behind the instrument cluster. It turned out to a bit of an ordeal to change it, or rather get to it. The change in itself takes about 10 seconds, detach the old one, unplug, plug in the new one, attach.

Instructions on how to get there you will find at page 6026 in the workshop manual (section 501-12).

1: Remove the gear lever surround (the j-gate and finish that is, just pry them loose and pull straight up).

2: Loosen the two retaining bolts holding the front of the floor console (the goldish ones at the far sides of the opening)

3: Remove the rear vents and disconnect connectors (pry it loose, pull straight out, a bit of force might be needed, page 6032).

4: Vehicles with auxillary climate control also needs ro remove the rear floor register.

5: Vehicles with telephone needs to disconnect the bluetooth module electrical connector.

6: Loosen the two retaining bolts holding the rear of the floor console (same kind of bolts as the ones under nr 2).

7: Lift rear of floor console.

8: Pull out console, some force might be needed (and floor console since they are attached, be careful not to scratch finish panel above centre console as the fittings holding it in place have pretty nasty edges on them)

9: Remove the instrument finish panel (page 5033, the walnut veneer or whatever there is on your car, pry it loose and pull out, easy does it, but a bit of force is needed, don't bend it or laquer might crack).

10: Unscrew the four screws holding the instrument cluster finish panel and remove it.

11: Unscrew the four instrument cluster retaining nuts, remove the cluster (you don't have to disconnect the the electrical connectors, just place the cluster on the dash).

12: Now you can remove the speaker (page 5073) and disconnect the electrical connector.

Done.

Now? You know it, all of the above again but in reversed order.

While you have the instrument finish of, change the bulbs in the centre vents (page 5046). I forgot and one bulb is out... I kicked myself when realising that. Annoying.

It is a pretty straight forward job and took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Good luck.