XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front strut change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Front strut change?

Looks like my front left strut may be on its way out. I have searched the archives and did not find any info that would be able to assist in providing instructions for a replacement. Does anyone know if such instructions have been written up by a member or where I may be able to find them?
Seeing that it is only one right now I am not looking at the Arnott conversion; plus money is going to be a little tight with a wedding coming up this summer, of one of my kids. Perhaps when the other sturt goes I may be in a better situation...

T I A for any help.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man. I may be selling a gently used Arnott front left Arnott strut. MSRP is 399 I think?

I'm going to convert all struts to coil over and I just had this guy last year.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

And changing it is very simple. Pop the hood and u will see the four top mounting bolts and where the air hose goes in. Disconnect all those. Take wheel off and get brake calipers out of the way and If I remember right just take the huge bolt out from bottom on shock that mounts it to the a arm and your out.

Putting back in is a pain because of lining up that bolt hole and compressing the shock to do so

The following users liked this post:
Na5h (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Instructions (color) are on the Arnott's web site and I am interested in the used strut.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/ftp...95_REV%204.pdf

http://video.oreillyauto.com/v/17977...90-suspension/

Last edited by reyesl; 01-09-2014 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Na5h (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks to both GvilleVDP and Reyesl. Great info on the two links... Doesn't look like it will take too long, nor does it appear difficult.

Follow-on question for those who have converted to the standard spring set-up vs the air suspension: Do you feel the ride, handling, etc. has improved after the conversion or is it stiffer/harsher? Is it worth the cost or has the conversion been driven mainly by the air suspension giving problems (leading to continuous money drain) eventually, whereas the traditional springs are almost forgotten over time.

I used to have an '87 XJ6 and that had the hydraulic suspension. A continuous PITA as you were always tinkering with it and the fluid was through Jag dealer only at $35/qt! I converted that over to springs and the ride did not seem to change drastically to where I'd say anything with a difinite yay or nay. But it did save money over time. . .

Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by Na5h
Thanks to both GvilleVDP and Reyesl. Great info on the two links... Doesn't look like it will take too long, nor does it appear difficult.

Follow-on question for those who have converted to the standard spring set-up vs the air suspension: Do you feel the ride, handling, etc. has improved after the conversion or is it stiffer/harsher? Is it worth the cost or has the conversion been driven mainly by the air suspension giving problems (leading to continuous money drain) eventually, whereas the traditional springs are almost forgotten over time.

I used to have an '87 XJ6 and that had the hydraulic suspension. A continuous PITA as you were always tinkering with it and the fluid was through Jag dealer only at $35/qt! I converted that over to springs and the ride did not seem to change drastically to where I'd say anything with a difinite yay or nay. But it did save money over time. . .
An '87 XJ6 would have had hydraulic self-levelling rear suspension that was a PITA, but the air system is better. The main problem seems to be the cost of replacement parts. A search of the 'net may turn up some new-old stock. I have managed to find a complete set of OEM air springs over Christmas at around £200 each incl shipping. So I now have a complete set ready to fit for £800. Reason I bought is I want to convert to Comfort and junk the Sport springs. I shall sell the used Sport ones on eBay when I have done the job, as there is nothing wrong with them, they're just too hard for my liking.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Na5h
Beware! I didn't think it was going to be too difficult either, but here's my story...

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro,
I feel for you. I just had my 2008 transported by Statewide Auto Transport from TX to DC. They did not secure the car correctly and blew out both front air struts. $3,600 to replace both at the dealer. Statewide had no insurance so lets all beware.
Perhaps, on the good side for you the dealer labor to replace both was less than $100 which tells me they are easy to replace IF you know what you are doing. Hope you find the instructions and good luck with the wedding.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
An '87 XJ6 would have had hydraulic self-levelling rear suspension that was a PITA, but the air system is better. The main problem seems to be the cost of replacement parts. A search of the 'net may turn up some new-old stock. I have managed to find a complete set of OEM air springs over Christmas at around £200 each incl shipping. So I now have a complete set ready to fit for £800. Reason I bought is I want to convert to Comfort and junk the Sport springs. I shall sell the used Sport ones on eBay when I have done the job, as there is nothing wrong with them, they're just too hard for my liking.
Fraser mentioned this and I thought I'd use it as a sedgeway to ask a follow-on question: What kind of ride can one expect converting the car to springs vs the air suspension? He mentions the 'sport' springs: I guess these would have a stiffer (harsher) ride due to their very nature, perhaps having a better handling quality. I would be looking for the typical Jag sedan.

Any feedback?