XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front Suspension Question please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Front Suspension Question please read

I was wondering before I pull my broken front strut out. Has anyone actually bent the lower mounting part of the strut due to a bad lower bushing in lower control arm? I ask because everything feels tight but maybe the clunking noise ive experienced pre strut failure was a lower bushing which may have caused the lower arm to twist a bit thus bending the lower strut mount....Just curious before I pull it apart so I have all the needed parts..Thanks:O)

Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

I just assumed it was the strut making the noise

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Removing front struts can be a PITA, because the securing bolt can seize in the bush. The lower bush is pressed into the straight arm of the lower wishbone, (the rear struts have the bush at the lower end of the strut). Many shops will refuse to quote a price to replace these front lower bushes due to this known seizure syndrome. In my case, it was all OK, so I now have new bushes. The lower bushes on front or rear struts don't last long, because the whole weight of the car is taken on these four rather small bushes. They are not expensive to buy but labour intensive to replace. My shop told me that on some cars, they have to remove strut and lower arm together, and take them to the workbench for some serious attention. This normally involves cutting the seized bolt.

I would not have thought a worn front bush would cause the lower arm to distort. Please post up a photo if you can so we can see the problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

ahh had a photo in my other post. I'm thinking rear bushing. Struts have less than 3,000 miles on them so not worried about the bolt seizing in place. Here is the photo again. Hard to see as its tight getting a photo in their. The entire mount is tilted sidewards and strut bent at that location. Thing its visible... What I was thinking si if the rear bushing was bad has anyone had this experience. I still think its a strut failure but just curious before I rip it . May just buy new bushings....Ball joints look and feel new and didn't feel any play in rear bushing. But I will know once strut is pulled for sure

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Question please read-img_3685.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

That strut definitely looks bent, and would not have been caused by the lower bush; the large force needed to bend it that amount can only be external.

I reckon before you got the car, there was an accident that damaged the suspension on that side. The damaged wishbone arms were replaced, but the strut was put back on damaged, due to the cost of a replacement. If it were me, I'd have that strut off and examined for damage to see if the welds for the lower securing fork are about to let go or are OK. You could try to straighten it out a bit, but I reckon a used strut off ebay might be better.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Its a new strut that was installed less than 5,000 miles ago. So all The front end started binding and squeeking...Then the binding went away and a muffled rattle came about. About two or three weeks ago now I had my rims refinished and the strut definitely wasn't like this. Actually when I jacked the car up to do the front brakes is when the shock must have started to bend back to where it should be and all of the air and oil shot out. So all that taken into consideration I figured perhaps the lower bushing may have caused the arm to twist bending the strut. But I wont know the entire story till I pull it apart. Definitely not from an accident

Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

OK, but you need a fair amount of force to bend the unit like in your picture.

The following users liked this post:
XxSlowpokexX (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
OK, but you need a fair amount of force to bend the unit like in your picture.
I know I just don't get it. That's why I was either thinking rear bushing caused arm to twist or the strut was broken internally which was the noises I was getting and may have seized at one point causing a bend. Ive never seen anything like this before without extreme force

Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Very curious as to what you find out after disassembly. We have exactly the same vehicle down to the Sepangs and color!
RyeJag

XxSlowpokexX (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

5000miles since a new strut? But it only takes a mile and good pothole to cause damage. I would also look at the from where the lower straight control arm mounts and many times they get bent there too and need a new subframe

XxSlowpokexX (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
5000miles since a new strut? But it only takes a mile and good pothole to cause damage. I would also look at the from where the lower straight control arm mounts and many times they get bent there too and need a new subframe
Could have been a pothole. I did slightly bend the rim outer lip hitting a metal plate in the street but it wasn't a huge bang or anything and that was awhile back. I found two used Arnott struts for 300$ do I bought them and will be installing one if all goes well. Also bought new upper arms and tie rod ends as the boots were torn (but no excessive movement noted)

The subframe looked ok but I was concerned about that lower arm. Ill see how it all lines up after the new parts are in. If I need an arm or bushing so be it. If I need a new subframe. There is fortunately one local....I sure hope not!