XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fuel Pump Replace

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replace

2006 Jaguar XJ8L X350 . Replacing fuel pump. Have removed top plastic locking ring and removed both electrical plug and fuel hose. The top plastic cap can be moved out of the way slightly to expose the metal fuel pump and its surrounding plastic housing. This is what the pump mounts into. I’ve tried to gently pull upward on the electric pump to dislodge it. It stays firm. Before going any further, and risk damaging something, I’d appreciate some feedback. Has anyone removed the entire pump assembly and replaced the fuel pump electric motor? Any directions or advice for removal?

Old 10-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

The fuel pump housing is connected to the sending unit via two hoses. You need to access the sending unit on the rear driver side seat. Disconnect the two hoses. You do not need special tool and just use your finger pressure to release he clips from the two hoses that connected on the sending unit side. Once the two hoses disconnected, you now can remove the main fuel housing from fuel tank.

I bought a used fuel pump and housing on Ebay for $100.00 and it was a mistake. It did not last for couple days. After some research, I was able to replaced the internal fuel pump and kept the fuel housing and filter. There are only couple hex screws to be remove to access the internal fuel pump. Just remember the fuel pump orientation inside the housing before removal.

The link below is for a quality fuel pump that will work for cheap. I used the original male wire harness from the fuel housing. However, you will need to use a file to shave the original male harness lightly and it will fit and lock in. I skipped a few steps but replaced the fuel pump was super easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AC-Delc...53.m2749.l2649

The following 2 users liked this post by annamiata:
meirion1 (04-24-2020), Wingrider (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts
Thumbs up

Great find, another inexpensive repair to keep them on the road, nice work.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Thank you Annamiata. The sending unit is connected to the fuel pump as a single unit. Both are located behind the passenger seat, under the rear seat. The plastic cover on the driver’s side has no protrusions. No electrical and no plumbing. Although, inside the tank I can see a fuel line coming off the fuel pump that extends toward the driver’s side of the car. I’ll remove that line. It appears that the float assembly must be removed with the pump as an entire unit. I’ve ordered a used pump on eBay to use as a visual aid, and spare parts if I were to break anything. I also have a new Delco fuel pump and filter ready to install.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:19 PM

This is on. 2006 Jaguar XJ8L (X350). Removed the fuel pump assembly.
First lowered the level of fuel in the tank with a transfer pump. Disconnected the large diameter gray fuel line on the outside of the fuel tank that connects into the top of the fuel pump (top white cover). There is a molded arrow on the white top lid of the fuel pump - it faces the rear of the vehicle. I removed the plastic screw on/off locking ring. Squeeze the two parts of the fitting together. The hose/fitting can be twisted off. There is a similar large gray hose under the top cover that connects into the lower canister - with lifting pressure the hose will come off. Inside the fuel tank. The hose connection is a barbed 90 degree press fit. It’s designed to swivel. Grab the 90 degree fitting and rorate the 90 degree fitting counter clockwise while pushing the side of the fitting that extends below the white top plate with a screwdriver. The lower part is purposely split to allow removal - use a flashlight and you’ll see the split. With pulling “up” on the fitting, it can then be easily pulled out. I cut the the plastic tiewraps that held the smaller “ribbed” fuel lines together under the white top assembly. This allowed easier access as I could pull the top lid out of the way. Firmly grab ahold of the black lower body of the fuel pump assembly and twist it counter-clockwise. About 1/8 turn will release the pump assembly. The complete fuel pump assembly, with the fuel-level
float and filter screen can then be carefully lifted out of the fuel tank. Note the location of fuel tank sending unit and float to the rear of the vehicle. It extends towards the driver-side of the vehicle. Note the location of the two motor electrical connections face the front of the vehicle. Tomorrow I’ll replace the fuel pump motor and provide some photos.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well how did it go, did it fit???

Old 04-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Default XJ 350 Fuel Pump Assembly Motor Replacement

This photo is of the OEM filter. Quite dirty. It does not fit the replacement pump. The white plastic fitting is the OEM fuel inlet adapter that is press-fit to the bottom of the original pump. This must be removed and discarded.
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Well how did it go, did it fit???
The Delco replacement fuel pump fit quite well. Didn't need any shims or taping to make it fit. Slipped right in. Photo is of it ready to re-assemble into the black outer bucket. Cut the wires on the plug and re-soldered them to the connector on the bottom of the white plastic top lid. Covered with shrink wrap. I heated the orange/yellow fuel lines in boiling hot water to remove them. They regain their pliability and you can slide them back onto the nipples. The first photo below is viewing the fuel pump assembly from the rear of the vehicle looking forward. The float assembly is removable and is mounted mounted on the rear side of the pump assembly. I found it easier to remove the entire assembly, assembled.

Fuel Pump after disassembly and the installation of new pump. Notice that the blue plastic back-flow valve has been removed. On my vehicle, I found this is a mistake to not have this valve installed. Starts well and runs well. But after sitting for a couple of hours, my vehicle had difficulty starting. Put valve back in and solved the problem. Keep the blue valve in the feed line. Notice which way it points!

This is the bottom of the pump, without the surrounding black bucket installed. The original filter was removed and didn't fit the new aftermarket pump. The new pump came with this new filter. The filter is installed side-to-side parallel with the length of the rear seat. You can see the flat portion of the top cover facing me. This assembly would now be turned upside down and slides down into the bucket.

Last edited by rgreuling; 04-24-2020 at 03:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rgreuling:
Life is Good (05-01-2020), meirion1 (04-24-2020), Tigre (04-25-2020), Wingrider (07-05-2020)
Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

FYI these pumps can be found as little as $11.50. GA8285 is the cheapest and works well

Last edited by xalty; 01-08-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding my tank

I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ8, and I'm not getting fuel to my fuel rails. I wanted to replace the fuel pump, but I cant find the tank. I have removed all trunk lining from the trunk and it nothing there but a riveted steel bulkhead (no tank). I removed the rear seat and still no luck in locating the tank. So i am convinced that it is underneath. All you-tube videos show the tank being in the trunk. can anyone please help me locate this tank and give some directions on how to replace the fuel pump?

Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

The previous models were in the trunk area, but ours are accessed under the rear seat.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:26 AM

I removed the rear seat, is there some access cover or something im missing?

Old 01-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Yes there is, start looking and pull back the carpet a bit
There is a write up in here somewhere that shows you.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:32 PM

Thank you very much, I will update my findings

Old 10-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by annamiata
The fuel pump housing is connected to the sending unit via two hoses. You need to access the sending unit on the rear driver side seat. Disconnect the two hoses. You do not need special tool and just use your finger pressure to release he clips from the two hoses that connected on the sending unit side. Once the two hoses disconnected, you now can remove the main fuel housing from fuel tank.

I bought a used fuel pump and housing on Ebay for $100.00 and it was a mistake. It did not last for couple days. After some research, I was able to replaced the internal fuel pump and kept the fuel housing and filter. There are only couple hex screws to be remove to access the internal fuel pump. Just remember the fuel pump orientation inside the housing before removal.

The link below is for a quality fuel pump that will work for cheap. I used the original male wire harness from the fuel housing. However, you will need to use a file to shave the original male harness lightly and it will fit and lock in. I skipped a few steps but replaced the fuel pump was super easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AC-Delc...53.m2749.l2649

Unfortunately this ebay link didn't work for me. So I purchased this one instead. This was plug and play.

The one on the right was my original pump and the one one the left is the new one.

Here it is assembled

I had to reuse the old sock, because none of the socks that came with the new pump matched. I am sure one of the other socks could have been made to work, but my old one seemed fine so I reused it, just as a precaution.

The following users liked this post:
Life is Good (10-19-2021)
Old 11-23-2022, 06:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rgreuling
There is a similar large gray hose under the top cover that connects into the lower canister - with lifting pressure the hose will come off. Inside the fuel tank. The hose connection is a barbed 90 degree press fit. It’s designed to swivel. Grab the 90 degree fitting and rorate the 90 degree fitting counter clockwise while pushing the side of the fitting that extends below the white top plate with a screwdriver. The lower part is purposely split to allow removal - use a flashlight and you’ll see the split. With pulling “up” on the fitting, it can then be easily pulled out.
Currently replacing the fuel pump on my 2008 XJ8, this grey hose is giving me a ton of grief. I can see that the insert is split, but no matter how I press against it, it doesn't seem to release. In frustration, I unlocked the bottom to try and get a better angle, but now I can't seem to relock it.

Originally Posted by Jacuar
Unfortunately this ebay link didn't work for me. So I purchased this one instead. This was plug and play.
I bought this as well, to be clear: There is no need for the included plug wires, or to do any soldering, correct?

Old 11-24-2022, 03:21 AM
Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts

Have a look at the picture, you will see the recess for the right hand side pump.

Don't worry about almost all of the interior missing, you do not have to do that, but I was doing a major TLC work on the interior, including carpets, etc.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by a4500435
Currently replacing the fuel pump on my 2008 XJ8, this grey hose is giving me a ton of grief. I can see that the insert is split, but no matter how I press against it, it doesn't seem to release. In frustration, I unlocked the bottom to try and get a better angle, but now I can't seem to relock it.

I bought this as well, to be clear: There is no need for the included plug wires, or to do any soldering, correct?
x356 and 8 is a completely different pump motor

all you need to do for the one line without the push button is pull it out hard

Old 11-24-2022, 08:31 PM

Ok, I need serious help: assume I'm a complete idiot and tell me how to get this damn hose off. I've tried a screwdriver, chopstick, a friggin wrench, I can see the pump being pushed to the side BUT I CAN'T GET THIS DAMN THING TO RELEASE!!! WHAT THE F#CK AM I DOING WRONG?!! I've tried with the housing locked down, release, spinning it around, this can't be that hard and I don't want to destroy the plastic in anger.

I've changed the coolant tank, thermostat housing (twice), door lock, suspension pump gasket, oil pan gasket...I'm not new at DIY, but it sure feels it right now!!! I just want to change the pump goddamnit!!!

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Replace-zipiu3h.png  
Old 11-24-2022, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

pull harder 😃

Old 11-24-2022, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
pull harder 😃

Don't want to break the damn thing, that other guy made it sound like it just popped out easily. Your housing is even different. How many variants are there?!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replace