XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fuel Rail Crossover Hose - Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Fuel Rail Crossover Hose - Pls Help

Do any of you brilliant folks know the specs for the fuel rail crossover hose? Inside/Outside diameters, etc.

I have to replace mine, and I can't find it anywhere as a Jaguar Part Number, or sold anywhere as a specific part. The Factory Workshop manual doesn't have any specs or instructions for replacement. Since it is a barbed connection, I want it to be the precisely correct size and type.

Thanks very much for your kind assistance!

Old 02-04-2023, 09:46 PM
Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Do any of you brilliant folks know the specs for the fuel rail crossover hose? Inside/Outside diameters, etc.

I have to replace mine, and I can't find it anywhere as a Jaguar Part Number, or sold anywhere as a specific part. The Factory Workshop manual doesn't have any specs or instructions for replacement. Since it is a barbed connection, I want it to be the precisely correct size and type.

Thanks very much for your kind assistance!
Hi Mac Allan
Here is the page from JLR showing the fuel pipes. Do you see what you need here?
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/
Go there, choose your model and go to the relevant page. Some parts are no longer available, but most are.

Pete M

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

It's the hose that connects the injector rails shown here with red arrow pointing to it.

As you can see there is no part number for it.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Guess cutting the old one off, to see what the inside diameter is, is one way

Old 02-11-2023, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

To bring the thread to close, and to help anyone who might find this through search, I found that the higher pressure fuel injection type hose is readily available in 3 sizes 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" and the metric listed sizes I found were actually the same size hoses.

1/4" turned out to be the correct, or closest to correct, size. 5/16" might work with clamps in an emergency, but will leak on the barb fitting alone. The 1/4" takes considerable effort to get fully seated on the barb, but it's not going anywhere once installed. I wanted to run it for a week or so to confirm that weren't any lean issues with the smallest inside diameter hose, but no issues.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
04Xjrsteve (07-05-2024), Thomas-S. (02-11-2023)
Old 07-05-2024, 08:42 AM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Any Comments or Barbs Appreciated

Marc Allen,

If you are still frequenting this forum, I would like to say thanks for finishing this thread out. It is very helpful!

In doing my research, I found a good bit out there in Ford racing circles on fuel rails of similar material to ours. There are some insisting that the connector hose be changed along with other hoses after 22 years or so. Others insist that the thin nylon inner hose is very much protected by the rubber around it & it is best to leave it alone. Of course, most of the racers change the stock EFI (which is what I think we have on the 04 SC XJR) to an AN system - fuel rails and all!

One of my dearest friends and classmates had a lifelong love affair with all things aeronautical. Unfortunately, he died; otherwise, I know he would give the perfect solution.

I had found something that would have worked in an environment as hot as Hades or as cold as a well digger's ***. & it was braided in stainless and every other damned thing. However, I could only buy it in 1’ or 15’ So, I bought something cheap and marginally doable. I put it on using EFI clips on the barbs. I didn’t like it; so, here we go again.

Without the rigidity of the OEM, I think an insulator needs to be placed between the whatchamacallits to which the thermostat housing attaches and the hose. I wish the barbs were threaded so I could consider a different fitting. I will continue to look for a satisfactory hose which I should order tomorrow from an outfit called Summit Racing. Also, I think that a shorter & cooler path can be found under the snout of the SC & will play with that option too.

I hope to avoid the fate of this poor fellow without going to such extremes:

“Yes - It was my Cobra that met its end a few weeks after coming back from paint, due to a fire caused by a faulty cross-over hose. Mine was fabricated and installed by the engine builder (B&B Automotive Machines in Rahway, NJ) and clearly separated at the fitting (probably due to the hose not being cut perfectly perpendicular). Pictures of the evidence are here .

On the next build, I took responsibility for all the fuel lines and had them fabricated by an FAA/PMA facility (aircraft hoses) and spent about $1000. They are coated in teflon as a fire retardant. You can see the crossover hose here. Probably overkill, but I wasn't gonna take another chance.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Jon Weiswasser"

Mk IV Roadster x 2

http://factory5roadster.wordpress.com

Anyone having experience & still reading, please share your thoughts.

Thanks and have an awesome day!