XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

The Fun Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts
Default The Fun Begins!

I have begun the task of rehabailitating my recently acquired 2004 Vanden Plas.
I have completed servicing the brakes--all good.

Today I tackled the LH none folding power fold mirror.The electricals were fine --issue is "mechanical".the attached show what happens as a result of operation in salt!

75% of the alloy around the power fold motor is completed rotted away.The mirror motor and the mirror are fine.

A couple of questions:
1.Does anyone know why the body of the mirror assembly come away from the window frame(the pointy bit in the last pic)?

2.Can anyone recommend technique or a tool for separating the interior door panel from the door---after removing the 4 screws per the JTIS,I have not been able to pop the plastic clips and I do not want to damage the leather?

I am in the process of ordering a new mirror body--to which my mirror motor,mirror glass and cover will be installed.

Attached Thumbnails The Fun Begins!-pwr-mirror-body.jpg   The Fun Begins!-pwr-mirror-motor.jpg   The Fun Begins!-back-mirror.jpg   The Fun Begins!-mirror-body.jpg  

Last edited by Six Rotors; 12-05-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default here are a few things

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
I have begun the task of rehabailitating my recently acquired 2004 Vanden Plas.

I am in the process of ordering a new mirror body--to which my mirror motor,mirror glass and cover will be installed.
Good job! It looks like you are willing to take this bit by bit and make the car right. Hopefully the existing damage/wear is all able to be tackled. I can only say that the door panels are strongly clipped on.I found you a thread with pictures of a separated door panel- with circles in the picture showing where the clips are! The panel is from an S-Type but of similar design so it should give a good idea where the clips are:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ide-faq-31104/

Heres a guy struggling to get a door panel off and the good crew here at Jaguar Forums guides him all the way:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-panel-51095/

You can use a plastic panel separator (they are available in kits of different sizes, or singly on Amazon from about $8 to $25) here is one I found for $6.95 and trust me they work a LOT better than a screw driver!

Amazon.com: HDE No-Scratch 4-in1 Pry Tool Kit for Car Door Clip Panel & Audio Dashboard Dismantle: Home Improvement Amazon.com: HDE No-Scratch 4-in1 Pry Tool Kit for Car Door Clip Panel & Audio Dashboard Dismantle: Home Improvement

try to separate the panel by wedging as close to the clip as possible. That way you have less risk of the clip pulling out of the panel. Unfortunately it is often a case where you break the thing to see how it was fastened, THEN see what would have been a better way.

I was AMAZED at the amount of rot inside that mirror - I now see why my right side mirror SOMETIMES dips when I select reverse, but NEVER tilts back up when I put the car into drive. I heard they need cleaning and lubrication, but your case illustrates that they often need even more. Good luck with it. Have you screwed up your courage and checked the other side yet?

The following 2 users liked this post by Blairware:
ragman1171 (12-06-2014), Six Rotors (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Default Mirror Off and More Rot!

Originally Posted by Blairware

Heres a guy struggling to get a door panel off and the good crew here at Jaguar Forums guides him all the way:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-panel-51095/

I was AMAZED at the amount of rot inside that mirror - I now see why my right side mirror SOMETIMES dips when I select reverse, but NEVER tilts back up when I put the car into drive. I heard they need cleaning and lubrication, but your case illustrates that they often need even more. Good luck with it. Have you screwed up your courage and checked the other side yet?
Thank You for your response.The key to getting the door panel off for me was in the link quoted above.The bottom fastner has a long plastic screw and a plastic clip--once the clip was withdrawn I could get my fingers under the panel ,move along to the clips and snap them out.

When I started removing the mirror body it was obvious why the plastic sail had started coming away from the door ---the alloy block which mounts to the door was about 50% corroded and the volume increase of the corrosion products does the rest.

I suppose another message would be ---Check the drain hole at the bottom of the mirror body.

Attached Thumbnails The Fun Begins!-door-panel-bottom-fastner.jpg   The Fun Begins!-drain-hole.jpg   The Fun Begins!-corrosion.jpg   The Fun Begins!-more-corrosion.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Revonok (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Thank you!

I'm really glad I read this post, both because it's great to see someone taking quality care of their vehicle but also because it got me thinking; Specifically the last bit "I suppose another message would be ---Check the drain hole at the bottom of the mirror body."

I haven't had any problems with my mirrors so far but honestly had no idea there were drain holes as you mentioned/showed, so when I got home from work tonight I decided to check mine and sure enough one was clogged with what looked like cement which definitely caught me off guard.

I popped the back cover off and found this unfortunate mess inside the drivers side mirror

Certainly not what I hoped to find, but I guess it could be a lot worse. The stuff I saw clogging the drain that looked like cement was a solid chunk of corrosion / what was left of some metal similar to what you found, There were several large chunks of it in the bottom of the mirror.

Were you able to replace the mirror body yet? It looks like I'll be doing the same soon and would love to hear how it went for you. Best of luck!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 PM

I checked my RH mirror and it is also severely corroded, but less than the LH.

I have been considering a pair of used mirrors from California but the risk of corrosion damage etc. is putting me off.
I am thinking of buying new mirror bodies which includes everything except the chrome cover, the heated photochromic mirror glass and the mirror motor.

All those parts are in good condition and can be easily transferred to make a complete assembly.

I am working on a deal with a friendly US Jaguar dealer on pricing--I think it will cost me the same or slightly less than a pair of good used ones.

Since this car is just a summer runner it is stored now.

I am heading to Alberta for Christmas, then down to Florida for 2months in January. The plan is to be finished by mid-April.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM

Well I arrived home from Florida on Saturday. I managed to acquire two brand new power folding mirrors while down there from a friendly Jaguar dealer in South Carolina--$300 each. Part numbers---C2C39415 and C2C 39416--these are complete except for glass and cover. (I forgot to take a picture of the parts before I installed them)

I reused the mirror glass and the chrome covers. (Pictures to follow) This was relatively easy as was installing the parts on the car. I was amazed how easy it was to refit the door panels. Total installation time 2 hours for both sides.
The mirrors are amazingly smooth and quiet in operation.

Next task --new transmission oil pan ,sleeve and transmission oil cooler lines--"all parts are on the shelf"

Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Default New Power Fold Mirrors Fit

These are pics of my new power fold mirrors and refitted door trim panel.Old mirror fit is shown in an earlier post.

I also fitted anew transmission pan and sleeve since my previous post!!

Attached Thumbnails The Fun Begins!-drivers-side-mirror.jpg   The Fun Begins!-pass-side-mirror.jpg   The Fun Begins!-pass-sidetrimpanel.jpg   The Fun Begins!-newtransmission-pan.jpg   The Fun Begins!-new-sleeve.jpg  

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

The corroding metal is Mazak, (sometimes called Zamak in the US), and is an allow of the metals in the name, i.e. Magnesium, Zinc, Aluminium and Copper. However the bulk of the mix is zinc. Left to itself, it corrodes nicely unless plated, or covered with paint. I suggest you apply an anti-rust oil like Waxoyl or similar and it should last longer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-02-2015), wwr (02-01-2018)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 AM

The new mirrors were manufactured in mid 2014 and the alloy is has an anti corrosion coating.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice thread!