XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Future owner with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future owner with some questions.

I really love the XJ series sedan. Especially the 2008. I do want a navigation system and I haven’t seen them in any years prior to 2007. So right now I am looking at the 2007-2008 XJ. Specifically the XJR and XJ8. I was looking for some information on the vehicles however that can only come from experience. I would like to know how comfortable, reliable, and efficient these cars are. Annual maintenance costs, and common issues as well as general comfort and endorsements for this vehicle as a long distance traveler. If anyone has any info that would help on any of these points it will be helpful in my decision of whether or not to opt for a German alternative.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Navigation has been available since day one (as an option on base models and standard on others).
If you search previous threads you will see many answers to your questions have already been posted.
If you are getting a 2008 and earlier why not get a certified car and take a load of worry off.
Good luck in your hunt.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I would like to know how comfortable, reliable, and efficient these cars are. Annual maintenance costs, and common issues as well as general comfort and endorsements for this vehicle as a long distance traveler.
1. Comfort - very comfortable as an up-market saloon should be. Beautiful interior will make you feel good just sitting there on your driveway. Very good for crossing a continent !!

2. Reliability - pretty good apart from one or two known issues, but generally these do not leave you at the roadside. The car has air suspension, and the compressor for this usually needs replacing at some point, but not too expensive. Some small paintwork issues but nothing that cannot be fixed. Some people, like me, have had to have a transmission software reload at 44k miles to cure a clonky change (gear 2-3) - not expensive, about 30 minutes labour. I have now done 15k miles since May last year, bought at 30k, one-owner and registered June 2003 in UK.
Long term, suspension joints can wear out, like all cars, but can be somewhat expensive if bought from Jaguar main agents, but same parts available on the internet at much less cost.

3. Efficient - fuel comsumption very little for such a large car due to its aluminium construction - body, engine, suspension. On a trip of over 800 miles last weekend I got 27.5 to the UK gallon overall. Not so good if you're tootling around town at low speeds and short journeys, but this is the same as other large cars

4. Maintenance - essentially an engine oil & filter change every 10k miles or 12 months plus an inspection and replacement of any worn items like brake pads/discs. Mostly like other up-market cars, nothing out of the ordinary.

The best made Jaguar so far.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My perspective

Let me put it this way (inspired by a quote I read in this forum) - I like my Mercedes, I love my Jaguar.

Some of my best moments are spent detailing this car. It's a car I love to own. And touch, and admire.

The only drawback for me - I now park all the way across the parking lots, where employees park. Because I'd die if someone dinged my door.

I have an 07 with CPO warranty covering me to December 2013. I drive worry free. Wholesalers and non-Jaguar dealers may be a couple bucks lower, but CPO IMHO is the way to go.

Jaguar did a significant design change from 07 to 08. It's a matter of preference, but I like the 07 better. In 08 they took off the leaper (hood ornament), changed the grille and overall front appearance, and they removed chrome from the rear. I believe they were going for a more athletic look. Call me a traditionalist.

No car is without it's issues -- German, Japanese, Italian, etc. Don't be scared off by the 'buyer beware' warnings in this forum. If you fall in love with the design and overall uniqueness, let that be your guide.

Oh, and do a few test drives by yourself - no dealer in the passenger seat.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I agree. I LOVE my Jaguar. I love driving it, I love looking at it. It is a car that you can admire and truly be proud to own.

I just got done washing it in near dark conditions, but now she looks beautiful and is ready for an evening of boulevard cruising! This is a car that you will want to keep clean all the time (I wash mine practically every time I drive it, which is about twice a week).

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help but is it a good long distance car. Most cars after sitting in them for a long period of time leave you shifting back and forth to avoid the pain in your rear.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtbag
Thank you for the help but is it a good long distance car. Most cars after sitting in them for a long period of time leave you shifting back and forth to avoid the pain in your rear.
It is a wonderful car for long distance travel. I just return from a round trip Columbus Ohio to Orlando Florida and back, with my wife and 7yr old daughter. We made the return trip (~1000 miles) in just 14 hours, including a stop in NC for BBQ! We only stopped every 400 miles or so for fuel.

No butt problems for me. I have the long wheelbase model, and that really helped the girls comfort, along with mine when I wasn't driving. I have never owned a car that is as comfortable both for the driver and the passengers.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

The XJR seats are not nearly as comfortable. Lots of people on here complain about the side bolsters being much too aggressive/too narrow.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I take it there is good lumbar support as well for longer trips?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have driven thousands of miles around the country and it has been one of the most comfortable and enjoyable driving experiences.