XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Gear selector trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 05:15 AM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gear selector trouble

Hello all,

Wanted to make a post about some trouble I'm having with my gear selector in my 2007 XJ8. First time I've experienced this sort of thing. Was coming out from the store, got in the car and started it with no problem. Went to put it into gear and there was a lot of resistance trying to put the gear selector into drive. Normally don't have such a problem as it's silky smooth. I made a post on the book of the face and have received some help. Was told to check the bracket on the left side of the transmission that has 2 8mm bolts and check to see if it was tight. I have done so and alas the problem still remains. There was also mention on taking apart the wood trim by the gear selector, and to bypass the solenoid with a small screwdriver to rotate the plastic gear on the left side of the shifter assembly. I've had trouble trying to bypass this solenoid and was told I might as well replace the entire assembly as the cost of replacing the solenoid would be the same as the assembly. Someone apparently even removed it but I'm not quite sure the best way to go about this.

Any advice is appreciated, as I've already got the wood trim removed and am just trying to get the Jag right again.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:19 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mclovin22
Hello all,

Wanted to make a post about some trouble I'm having with my gear selector in my 2007 XJ8. First time I've experienced this sort of thing. Was coming out from the store, got in the car and started it with no problem. Went to put it into gear and there was a lot of resistance trying to put the gear selector into drive. Normally don't have such a problem as it's silky smooth. I made a post on the book of the face and have received some help. Was told to check the bracket on the left side of the transmission that has 2 8mm bolts and check to see if it was tight. I have done so and alas the problem still remains. There was also mention on taking apart the wood trim by the gear selector, and to bypass the solenoid with a small screwdriver to rotate the plastic gear on the left side of the shifter assembly. I've had trouble trying to bypass this solenoid and was told I might as well replace the entire assembly as the cost of replacing the solenoid would be the same as the assembly. Someone apparently even removed it but I'm not quite sure the best way to go about this.

Any advice is appreciated, as I've already got the wood trim removed and am just trying to get the Jag right again.
Am I interpreting this correctly - You can move the lever to the gears but it is stiff? You need to find what is causing the stiffness. Let the bracket on the transmission go and try moving the lever. Then move the lever on the transmission by hand. If both are free, with the bracket lose, then the stiffness is in the cable. Could be a broken strand jamming internally.