XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Gearbox rough running and suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Gearbox rough running and suspension questions

Hi there,

have been reading through several posts in the last days in regards of rough shifting of the gearbox of the X350 either when cold or warm.

we changed the oil rencently with the proper ZF fluid as the has now around 85k miles on it with not fully documented service history. there are no crunches or clonks of the gearbox but espcially 1-2 2-3 and the downshifts are quite rough. have the sdd software here and thinking about a tcm reflash or adaptions clear to see if it helps. once on the motorway there is no issue but once stuck in stop and go traffic the shifts can get annoying.

for me it is not clear if this is a common gearbox issue or just a specific problem of my car ?

once we revised all the bushes with the proper powerflex ones we had to get the front dampers out too and had to recalibrate the airsuspension afterwards. not that big of a problem and anything went fine. as i read the car will lower itself at around 170kmh of about 15mm i can feel in the car once the car lowers itself on autobahn at that speed.

is it possible to reconfigure the speed when the car will lower itself ? lets say instead of 170 at 160 or 180kmh ?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Sounds the same as when not filled correctly.

Not a common problem otherwise, I'd say.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 AM

will check. also will try to find a jag dealer with an X350 for comparison because for me it could be rough for anybody else normal. drove it yesterday and it seemed fine to me but sooner or later i will find out.

also raised the car yesterday another 10mm front back to see if it makes any change in the suspension feel.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Are you in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany ? If so there is a Jaguar dealer in Mainz called Fuehrmeister, I think. They helped me when we were on tour in Germany two years ago.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:57 AM

thx for the tip yes it is FFM Germany. Will have a look the next days. Maybe will try to find some time to do a Test Drive with quite an expensive X350 Portfolio that is for sale at a dealership nearby as i am lacking comparison of what is standard and what is normal. As the suspension is is fully revised with only the dampers beeing the old ones it drives quite nice. Still need to fix the windscreen washer pump though.