XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Getting Ready To Start My Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 09:56 AM
Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Getting Ready To Start My Engine!

Lord willen & crick don't rise, I plan to crank her after being in the Valley for 4 months.

Regardless of how it turns out, I will be forever grateful for all of your help. One of the toughest parts of approaching 80 is the loss of friends and loved ones. Between this project with your help, my sailing, friends, family & faith, it has been possible for me to keep going in spite of the losses. How uplifting you all have been! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, back to business!

Unless someone sees a reason not to, I will put a trickle charger on the battery. Should I touch the battery cables together to do some sort of "reset". After closing the drain, I think refilling with coolant should be pretty staightforward. The coolant plug in the supercharger should be tightened last after the level is checked? In addition to checking sensor connections, hose clips, etc., is there anything else to look out for from your experience? Because it was leaking, I also replaced the front right air shock; hence, she is down in the front. I hope the compressor takes care of this without any further accommodation needed?

In order to observe more closely, I am planning to start her without the front bumper cover, headlamps, etc. Will this cause any problems with her brain? Is there a need to put any of the breathing apparatus over the throttle body before cranking? Assuming her dash doesn't light up like a Christmas tree, how long should I let her idle to get everything open before I drive her around the domain to remind my neighbors that they are wise to fear me? I would think 30 minutes should be enough idle time.

As always, any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Carpe diem,

Steve S.

The following 2 users liked this post by 04Xjrsteve:
Big Koshka (07-30-2024), MrWhite (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are in my thoughts, @04Xjrsteve !
I wish you all the luck and can't waight to hear from you on other side of this endeavor!

Old 07-30-2024, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Big Guy!

Pray it will be a celebratory occassion with confetti raining down and champagne corks popping and everyone dancing!! No really, just having her up and about again will suffice! Oh, & watching the dismay on the faces of my disbelieving friends & family!

Have a great day!

Old 07-30-2024, 12:25 PM
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xjrsteve
thanks, big guy!

...oh, & watching the dismay on the faces of my disbelieving friends & family!

Have a great day!
proove them wrong!

Old 07-30-2024, 04:00 PM
Received 217 Likes on 178 Posts

Hi Steve,

the big moment is nearing, I remember how exited I was when I did the job myself... Good Luck!

I have inserted my views into the text below.

All the best,

Thomas

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Lord willen & crick don't rise, I plan to crank her after being in the Valley for 4 months.

Regardless of how it turns out, I will be forever grateful for all of your help. One of the toughest parts of approaching 80 is the loss of friends and loved ones. Between this project with your help, my sailing, friends, family & faith, it has been possible for me to keep going in spite of the losses. How uplifting you all have been! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, back to business!

Unless someone sees a reason not to, I will put a trickle charger on the battery. Should I touch the battery cables together to do some sort of "reset". After closing the drain, I think refilling with coolant should be pretty staightforward. The coolant plug in the supercharger should be tightened last after the level is checked? In addition to checking sensor connections, hose clips, etc., is there anything else to look out for from your experience? Because it was leaking, I also replaced the front right air shock; hence, she is down in the front. I hope the compressor takes care of this without any further accommodation needed?

TS: the trickle charger is only needed if you did not keep the battery charged during all this time. Also the touching of the cables to do a reset is not needed.
Please follow the correct procedure of the workshop manual for the filling and venting of the cooling system.
Regarding the replacement of the shock, hope that you did keep the car lifted until the compressor had a chance to run and do a first filling. The Bilstein instructions tell not to lower the car all the way before running the compressor, but to only lower it to a certain degree and let the compressor run, and to lower it all the way only after that. Apart from this, yes, the compressor should be able to lift the car.

In order to observe more closely, I am planning to start her without the front bumper cover, headlamps, etc. Will this cause any problems with her brain? Is there a need to put any of the breathing apparatus over the throttle body before cranking? Assuming her dash doesn't light up like a Christmas tree, how long should I let her idle to get everything open before I drive her around the domain to remind my neighbors that they are wise to fear me? I would think 30 minutes should be enough idle time.

TS: I had reassembled the car completely at the time before attempting to start it. Leaving off the bumper and headlamps should not pose a problem (keep the light seitch on the "off" position), but even if you get all the error warnings in the dash they should disappear after the final reassembly.

I would definitely at least reassamble all the breathing apparatus, as you call it, before starting the engine, including the air filtering, the MAF sensor, and the related hoese. Leaving something off very often leads to the engine not running properly and making you believe that something is off with the work you did.

As always, any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Carpe diem,

Steve S.

Old 07-30-2024, 04:33 PM

Thanks, Thomas.

Yep, it is hard for me to believe how this has captivated me and how much anticipation there is. For a time, I traded every 2 years with little particular affection for any one car; well, maybe for a few like the 67 Healy 3000 MKIII. The only issues that I ever had with the Healy was during the times I had my cadet uniform on and drove near the nursing school. I practically needed a stick to beat them off! I'm not kidding!

The battery should be fine since it has been disconnected the entire time & I'm relieved not to be touching the cables together.

I am a bit concerned about how the car responds to the new shock. I didn't follow the recommended procedure. I seem to recall that when I replaced the left front, I encountered a similar scenario & the car took care of it. We'll see.

Best,

Steve S.

Old 07-30-2024, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 568 Likes on 427 Posts

Good luck my friend. Sounds like you have all bases covered. Make sure to hook up all crankcase vent hoses too and double check all sensor plug ins. Then you will smile at the roar of the engine like i did when i did my supercharger and related stuff

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (07-30-2024)
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

almost feels like you should record the engine start 😁👍🏻

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaroslav Záruba:
04Xjrsteve (Yesterday), eliotb (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Default Overlooked Brake Booster Vacuum Pipe!

Somehow, in following 18.50.15, I saw no mention of placing the brake vacuum tube into the brass cavity of the throttle body elbow & forgot to use my common sense and hook it up after installing the TB Elbow. Using the endoscope, I am able to see the brass ring and I'm able to move the pipe so it, too, is visible. The small hose & all other hoses and attachments are on both the TB Elbow & the TB. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure it out yet. But it looks like I will have to at least remove the supercharger outlet pipe.

Has anyone been successful installing the pipe without disassembling? I have nothing above the supercharger outlet pipe.

As always, your help is much appreciated. Steve S.

Old Today, 01:03 PM

Mr. Jaguar designed this part with me in mind! Using a good light and finding a line of site, I was able to get that sucker installed without having to use the endoscope.

Now, will check all around & install the serpentine & SC belt, juice her up, attach the battery... & we'll see what happens!

Old Today, 01:06 PM

Hi Steve,

oh my, to quote something from quite a famous film... **** happens! And I add: unfortunately!!

I did not have to try to install the brake vacuum tube without disassembling, but I believe tha you are right in saying that at least the supercharger outlet pipe has to go. Fortunatelyy, this is not that difficult.

Then I believe that you might be able to reach the fitting, maybe using some forceps. Luckily, there are no screws in this fitting, you just insert the tube into the plastic lock and you are done when you hear the click.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (Today)
Old Today, 01:19 PM

Thanks, Thomas. We crossed in the ether! Actually, I think it may be designed to be removed & installed without further disassembling.

Carpe diem,

Steve S.

Old Today, 01:22 PM

Yes, we crossed..

Good to hear that you were able to fix it without too much trouble!

Carpe noctem

Best regards,

Thomas

Old Today, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 568 Likes on 427 Posts

Great on getting the booster pipe into the fitting and not having the pipe crumble upon movement. Hopefully you will be hearing the wonderful engine sound soon. One thing i remember is that the supercharger may make a funny noise for a few seconds until the oil is able to circulate to the nose bearings. Even pre oiled mine made a sound. A few seconds at idle and all was well

Old Today, 03:09 PM
Default SC Belt

Main serpentine belt went on 1, 2. 3. However the SC Belt needs a gnat's *** more to make over the SC pulley lip. I've got the tensioner pulled over as hard as possible. I replaced both belts a while back; so, I would think this would go right on.

Any ideas? I can see that everything is in good order, except the bottom right looks just a bit caddywompus? I've tried to move it over down there, but it pays me no mind.

Any ideas?

Thanks and best,

Steve S.

Old Today, 03:18 PM

OK, Bottom looks in good order too. Just can't get it that last mm?