XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

global opening but no global closing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Just run them all the way open and hold the button a few seconds longer, there should be a slight click, then close all the way and hold again and you are done. You can do them all from the drivers door switch.
I tried resetting the windows as you suggested, but mine do not click or reset and I held the button for 20 seconds both ways. I tried the proceedure with the ignition in both position 1 and 2; I did not try it with the engine running.

The good news is that after spraying liquid wrench in the door lock and letting it sit overnight, the fob/key turned it just as easy as you please - like it was never stuck at all. I'll try the global closing with the lock later.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Spoke to jag tech a little while ago and he said the first thing they do when a jag comes in with a electrical problems is a hard reset basically remove the battery leads from battery and touch the leads together for 30 seconds then reconnect them but make sure you have the radio code this sets the ecu,s back to factory settings then they go from there worth a try

The following 2 users liked this post by clifton94:
Norri (10-09-2015), philwarner (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by clifton94
Spoke to jag tech a little while ago and he said the first thing they do when a jag comes in with a electrical problems is a hard reset basically remove the battery leads from battery and touch the leads together for 30 seconds then reconnect them but make sure you have the radio code this sets the ecu,s back to factory settings then they go from there worth a try
Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens. My NA radio apparently does not need a code (at least I hope not as I've not yet disconnected the battery) and I did learn that the mirrors fold on the second press of the lock button so I'll try a second press and hold to see if that activates global closing, but it is raining here today so I'll wait for a better day to try that.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Phil, Did you ever get Global Close to work?

If so, how?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Default semi global closing

Originally Posted by tomfurie
Phil, Did you ever get Global Close to work? If so, how?
On 10\3\15 I wrote “I learned that holding down the unlock button on the fob opens all the windows and the sunroof, called global opening. Holding down the lock key on the fob does not cause global closing, but holding the lock button on the dash with the ignition in position 1 does do global closing. Holding the key clockwise in the door lock is also supposed to do global closing, but my fob/key does not turn the door lock.”

Today I tried it again and holding down the unlock button on the fob opened all the windows and the sun roof and turned on the mirror puddle lights: holding down the lock button on the fob made a horn in the right rear beep twice on the first try and folded the mirrors along with the horn beeps on the third try. Then holding down the unlock button unfolded the mirrors and holding down the lock button just did the horn beeps on four tries with no mirror folding. My land rover was parked three feet behind the SV8 so I moved it to see if the rear parking sensors were causing the horn beeps, but it still beeped twice.

My door lock has since freed up and turning and holding the key in the lock position closed the front windows and sun roof and beeped the rear horn twice, but the rear windows remained open. I then opened the door with the key and put the key in the ignition to position 1 and pressed the dash lock button once and nothing moved. Pressing it a second time opened the front windows and sun roof. Pressing it again closed the sunroof and front windows but not the rear windows which I had to close with the individual switches on the driver’s door. Stepping out again and pressing the lock button on the fob, the rear horn beeped twice but nothing locked. Then I realized the bonnet had been slightly open the whole time (I had been checking for a coolant leak) so I closed it and then pressing the lock button on the fob locked the doors.

Starting over, I held the unlock button on the fob and all windows and sun roof opened and doors unlocked. Holding the lock button on the fob locked the doors but closed nothing. Pressing it twice more folded the mirrors. Putting the key in the door and holding it in the lock position (clockwise) closed all but the right rear window. Holding it in the unlock position (CCW) opened everything, and holding it in the lock position again closed all but the RR window. The dash lock button did similarly, opening everything but then not closing the RR window with the others.

So… to answer your question, you could say I have semi-global closing depending on how the car feels that day.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Well you peaked my curiosity Phil.

Never having tried this before I had a go.

I can open all windows and the sunroof pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob. So far so good.

However holding the lock button on the key fob only closes the sunroof and locks the doors.

Using the key I can close the sunroof and lock the doors including folding back the mirrors but not the windows.

Same thing with pressing the dash lock button with the key in position II.

So I have to use the door tabs to close the windows.

I am surprised that I can lock the car with the windows open. If the hood or trunk is open I cannot.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Jackra_1,

There is another current thread on global close that says NA cars are not enabled for global close from the fob but can be. One poster says the windows have to be trained for one touch open and close to work on global close which should be available from either the dash lock button or the key in the door lock. I think he said the training is to hold the manual switch for a few seconds after it is fully open and after it is fully closed. I thought maybe my RR window had lost it's "training" but it did global close once after I had posted, so maybe it just needs to be exercised more because it is seldom opened.

Yes, it does seem odd to lock the doors with the windows open, and I had never heard that two beep horn from the back before apparently telling me the bonnet was not closed; I wonder if it does the same if the boot is not closed - might have to try it to see just for fun.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2004 XJ6 and it has both global opening and closing on the fob and also using the key in the lock turning towards the front or the rear of the car. Odd that different variants have different systems,.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by tommyknocker
I have a 2004 XJ6 and it has both global opening and closing on the fob and also using the key in the lock turning towards the front or the rear of the car. Odd that different variants have different systems,.
It must be some big brother regulation here in the US that you down under guys don't have to deal with. Probably something about children and windows closing rather like all the child proof medicine bottle caps that are sometimes nearly senior adult proof too; big government thinking it has to save us from ourselves.