XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Going to buy an '08 XJ 800 miles away

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Hmmm, we just acquired a used a Land Rover which had been dealer serviced since new, but when I contacted the dealer to get copies of service records, they stated that they couldn't release them without written authorization from the prior owner.
Hehe. These aren't medical records. You're talking to the wrong person if someone gave you that response. Go higher up the food chain. There is nothing confidential about service records. If the dealer wants to block out the previous owners name on every service call, let them. You don't care who owned it, just what was serviced. I've never had anyone do it and never had push back, ever, from an indie to a dealer.

I would have asked before the purchase but you can always tell them politely that you'd like to continue servicing your vehicle with them but you require the service history.

If they still balk, they are hiding something. My guess is you just spoke to the wrong person.

Last edited by Sean W; 08-18-2016 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
But it tells you where to look. First is Manhattan Auto, though I doubt they did much maintenance.
Next look to Duluth Georgia, likely start with Hennessy Jaguar. Possibly European Motorcars, Duluth. Owner 2 had it for 7 years.
Next look at Nally Lexus.
In each of these cases, give them the VIN and if they serviced the car, they will send you the info via email instantly.
I looked up Manhattan Motors and they are no longer in business. I tried contacting Hennessy Jaguar Atlanta and they haven't responded. I'll send another email and see if they respond.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr John
I looked up Manhattan Motors and they are no longer in business. I tried contacting Hennessy Jaguar Atlanta and they haven't responded. I'll send another email and see if they respond.
Don't email them. Call and ask for the service manager. Then politely tell him you are considering this car and would like to know if he can help you find service history by the VIN. I've done that many times and sometimes the service guy will say, "Hey, I know that car and the previous owner and it was well looked after."

Now, I have had problems with dealers in CA, never from other states. Maybe there is some weird law in Cali which is like HIPPA for cars?? Who knows??

Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill

Now, I have had problems with dealers in CA, never from other states. Maybe there is some weird law in Cali which is like HIPPA for cars?? Who knows??

Maybe that is why the Land Rover dealer wouldn't release records without the previous owners authorization?

The California Legislature does weird (and stupid) laws as a matter of everyday business.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun with the new car. I've flown a distance to purchase several cars and was pretty much committed to buying them absent some major problem. A dealer usually makes things a bit easier, but most of the cars I've bought afar were from private parties. One trip to the AZ mvd for a temp registration after a flying in for a private party purchase in Tucson was a blessing. The surprise mobile CBP checkpoint agents didn't just ask the usual "US Citizen?". They looked through the car and all my paperwork was in order having me on my way in short order. I do wonder though if they had found something illegal in the car I hadn't put there. What a mess that would have been.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Someone emailed me back from the dealer. Yesterday, I called and left a message with the service manager but didn't hear back from him. Still waiting for a response.

When I bought my son's 2001 MB E320, I went to the dealer where it was serviced and get our cars serviced too. I asked about the service records and they said they needed to get an OK from the previous owner. I told them that was a load of BS. As you say, they are not medical records. We are not dealing with HIIPA! Still wouldn't give them to me. I told them they wouldn't be seeing any of our cars for service anymore. Got 2 great indie mechanics who I love now. Best thing the dealership ever did for me!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Well in the meantime, take a look here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...dition-167772/

Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Well in the meantime, take a look here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...dition-167772/
There is a tremendous amount of scuffs on the driver side sill, and the seat is worse than mine with 118,000. Just sayin'... That's one vehicle I would want a complete history and them some on, like has the cluster been replaced. Rotors and brake job? I know what 17,000 looks like, and that ain't it, at that mileage it should be showroom pristine..

Last edited by Box; 08-21-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:52 PM

I FedEx'd the checks and signed papers to International Motors in Kenosha, WI. I'm now waiting for Mark to contact me on Monday about transport info.

I appreciate all the interest everyone has taken and their guidance. I'll post pictures when it arrives and evaluate the condition and the transaction. Let's hope all goes well.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr John
I FedEx'd the checks and signed papers to International Motors in Kenosha, WI. I'm now waiting for Mark to contact me on Monday about transport info.

I appreciate all the interest everyone has taken and their guidance. I'll post pictures when it arrives and evaluate the condition and the transaction. Let's hope all goes well.
My current vehicle was purchased long distance. The owner lied to me on a couple of points, but knowing a majority of what would need to be done anyway, and counting those funds as part of the purchase price, it worked out okay for me. It's oft said, the cheapest car can turn out to be the most expensive one you'll ever own... I'm glad mine was as good a shape as what I paid.

Now, let's see them pics when you get it!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM

BTW, I am selling a car that has been one of my favorites. Take a look at it at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-360-a-167941/

Old 08-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Box
My current vehicle was purchased long distance. The owner lied to me on a couple of points, but knowing a majority of what would need to be done anyway, and counting those funds as part of the purchase price, it worked out okay for me. It's oft said, the cheapest car can turn out to be the most expensive one you'll ever own... I'm glad mine was as good a shape as what I paid.

Now, let's see them pics when you get it!
I've already budgeted for "unknown" problems. Funny how a $18k car can cost $21k to get in the shape you thought it was in! I know I have to have the headliner replaced and will need to replace the tires in 5k miles. Let see what else needs to be done. Despite that, I'm still looking forward to it and posting pictures.