XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013 | 11:56 PM
|
Default Is this a good deal?

Hi all,

Looking at a 2004 XJ VDP w 23k miles. Has many cosmetic issues such as headliner, some exterior issues but mostly in very good shape. Wondering what to look for and what it might cost to upgrade/fix/PM suggested parts....understand this might be a long list. I am a staunch BMW owner and do 95% of the work myself (such as supercharger install, full engine overhaul, install limited slip diff, etc). I can pretty much do anything when I put my mind to it. I restored an e28 (specifically an '85 535i), upgraded an e85 ('03 Z4) and lifted two Jeeps in my garage. I can get this vehicle for around $10k but wondering what headaches I would be in for. She drives nice, has a funny hum hum at idle and an awkward shimmy at speed from the LF wheel (assuming this is a balance issue). Will purchase this weekend likely. Please comment if you can help me understand what it would take to have total faith as a DD with this car. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2013 | 12:21 AM

curious, why only 23k miles? Sounds like you would know that if the car was unused for long periods of time , like years, the seals and gaskets dry out and break prematurely. I'd be cautious of cars with too low mileage as much as too many miles.

Old 08-06-2013 | 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dudeman44
curious, why only 23k miles? Sounds like you would know that if the car was unused for long periods of time , like years, the seals and gaskets dry out and break prematurely. I'd be cautious of cars with too low mileage as much as too many miles.
'Cautious', certainly.

'As cautious' perhaps even in real, out-of-pocket-planning terms.

But if the mileage is accurate, the uncertainties are more focused to a road-well-travelled.

Adhesives, seals and elastomers in general. Corrosion more than wear. Polymerization and biological by-products where fuel and lubricants were meant to be regularly refreshed, not allowed to grow parasites, age, and die in-place.

Good deal of work involved, not all easy, nor all needfuls common, let alone cheap.

But .. could still come to the good at a far lower out-of-pocket than engine, transmission, et al, and the time required more easily spaced-out in 'chunks'.

And then there is missed-opportunity.

1946, Dad is back from the war, new cars were not to be had for love or blood.

A wealthy friend offered him his late Dad's car for free. Had low miles, and had been up on blocks for scarcity of tires and fuel since the war started.

Dad declined, bought a clapped-out '36 Chevvie panel truck from a retiring plumber instead. Brush-painted it, repaired - or tried to do - every week.

Said: "Who wanted an early 'thirties automobile that got terrible gas mileage, needed expensive tires, and was hard to get parts for as the maker had gone bankrupt years before?"

Chevvie was eventually replaced by a new '49 Plymouth, and good riddance.

Never did find out what happened to the 'free to get it out of the way'... Duesenberg touring car he rejected...

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:28 AM
|

Thanks Dudeman and Thermite, The car belongs to my neighbor who has owned it and serviced it at the *********** when needed. Those are the key words I believe...when needed. She took it in for an inspection and will give me a copy - but agree all of those things will eventually need to be addressed. She just does not drive it for whatever reason and sticks to her Land Rover. I know baselining the car will not be cheap or fun and this is miles more sophisticated than the older Bimmer - just want to make sure I am not getting in over my head.

The following users liked this post:
Dudeman44 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013 | 10:03 AM

Strokez,

I am also looking at a 2004 low mile car, it would be interesting to talk to you to see what kind of issues you find.

I'm also a new member here, as I have mostly been on BMW and Mercedes boards in the past. you can email me at karljcrooks at gmail dot com

thanks

Old 08-06-2013 | 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Clearly if the headliner is dropping you live in a "hot" US state. These things are best left to professionals who know what is needed. Some can fix without taking the headliner biscuit out, (the thing the headliner fabric is glued to), others need it on a bench in the shop. Apart from this, you seem to be an experienced DIYer, so most of the things that wear out or fail are well within the scope of a DIY guy. Internet now has lots of the stuff that wears out at very reasonable prices. The aftermarket always triumphs !!

Old 08-06-2013 | 02:55 PM
|

You bet Fraser! I totally re-did the headliner in the old 5 series BMW (after fixing the sunroof leaks of course). Not a fun or easy job and I had to pull both front and rear windscreen to do it. I won't comment on how I got a new front windscreen, but yeah....pro's could have done it better. Regardless, it is still not an easy job but since she was a project car I had plenty of time.

Old 08-15-2013 | 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by strokez
Hi all,

Looking at a 2004 XJ VDP w 23k miles. Has many cosmetic issues such as headliner, some exterior issues but mostly in very good shape. Wondering what to look for and what it might cost to upgrade/fix/PM suggested parts....understand this might be a long list. I am a staunch BMW owner and do 95% of the work myself (such as supercharger install, full engine overhaul, install limited slip diff, etc). I can pretty much do anything when I put my mind to it. I restored an e28 (specifically an '85 535i), upgraded an e85 ('03 Z4) and lifted two Jeeps in my garage. I can get this vehicle for around $10k but wondering what headaches I would be in for. She drives nice, has a funny hum hum at idle and an awkward shimmy at speed from the LF wheel (assuming this is a balance issue). Will purchase this weekend likely. Please comment if you can help me understand what it would take to have total faith as a DD with this car. Thanks!
Hows your project coming along ?

Old 08-16-2013 | 11:07 AM
|

Not bad so far KarlC. I had to get new rubber all around as the old was dry rotted. Replaced a side marker that was cracked. Clayed, polished and waxed the beastie last weekend, but will need another round of polish and maybe a second clay for the heck of it. Lots of water spots from sitting outside with no love. Removed the glove box and re-glued the facing - so far so good on that. Will be doing rear brakes this weekend I hope and will flush the system. I removed and replaced both the engine air filter and the in cabin filter - both had wasp nests underneath them if that tells you anything. So far have had pretty decent luck with jagbits but wondering if there are any other websites to source parts from.