XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT

The headline should say it all. I have a 2005 Super V8 (SAJAA74R54TG18698) with an Italian JaguarVoice and Motorola GSM phone, but would rather have the English Jaguar voice and bluetooth (unless I can have the GSM and BT at the same time). Some kind of iPodish connectivity would also be nice.

I guess the voice is just replacing the old module with a new VACM, but here comes the first question: Do the voice modules from the S-Type and X-Type work in the x350 XJ? The S-Type's have a slightly different part number; 1r8f-14b292-ab as opposed to 2R8F-14B292-AB but they are like a tenth of the price of the XJ part on eBay.

Now, I do have the GSM phone, wiring and mike. So for BT I need the BT module, the extra mike and...? Do I need a new wiring somewhere? Do I need to replace the GSM phone with the BT or can I have them both at the same time (I'm guessing probably not)?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Ciao Rickard and welcome to the forum,

Hope the guys here can explain how to get your JaguarVoice switched to English.

When you have a moment, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post an introduction about yourself and your X350 to all the members.

Graham

Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rickard. Where abouts are you?

The JaguarVoice module can be re-programmed in the car using the dealer level IDS/SDD diagnostic system (well at least it appeared possible when I checked out my own X350 with the SDD). If you can't do that then a late model S-Type one will also work in the X350. But be sure you get one with the D2B fiber-optic connection, the earlier S-Types also had Voice but are incompatible with the later models. I'm talking about the 2002 facelift.

You can't have the GSM & Bluetooth at the same time.

A change to Bluetooth means replacing the GSM Phone module in the Booth with the Bluetooth one. Bluetooth phone module 2W93-19K350-?? as opposed to the GSM ones 1X43-10D893-??. Also need to remove the handset from the center console, replacing that with the Bluetooth Upgrade Module (BTUM). You might have to add some wires to the loom from the phone module to the bluetooth module. When you unplug the handset behind the vents, count how many wires in the red-black plug. 8x = good, 5x = lots of work. Plus you also need the roof mounted microphone, the original one in the roof console doesn't work well with bluetooth.

This retrofit has been done a million times, have a good search on the forum here.

The following users liked this post:
Rickard Olsson (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM

I hail from the other Switzerland, Sweden. ;-)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the pointers -- I had seen a few retrofits where people added BT to their cars, but couldn't find anyone swapping GSM for BT. I'll say like a tech support customer of mine once did: "I'm really good at looking, but I can't seem to find anything." ;-)

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
The JaguarVoice module can be re-programmed in the car using the dealer level IDS/SDD diagnostic system (well at least it appeared possible when I checked out my own X350 with the SDD).
I got a cloned Mongoose and SDD v130.04 and after a bit of a scare (like the total noob I apparently am, I forgot to hook up the battery charger and had to re-flash a few modules to get rid of the CONFIG F and CONFIG D errors I managed to evoke) I had a good look around, and while I can remove and re-add the VACM, I can't seem to find anywhere to reprogram its language.

You wouldn't happen to remember whereabouts in SDD you saw that functionality?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I had a look through my old screenshots & found the section where you can select these options.

Don't remember how to get to it exactly, but from the screenshots it looks to be under extras in a Diagnostic Session; Vehicle Configuration or something like that. Where you see Voice System Market Configuration, on your car that would be Italy. When you click on it it will give you the options to change. Go through & select any other settings you might want to change, and then press the Tick button, it will reflash all the modules in the car to the new settings.

Or maybe in a "Service Functions" Session, anyway the pics speak for themselves

Attached Thumbnails Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig1.jpg   Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig2.jpg   Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig3.jpg   Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig4.jpg   Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig5.jpg  

Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig6.jpg   Got Italian Jaguarvoice and GSM phone, wants English voice and BT-vehicleconfig7.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
raistlin295 (04-11-2016)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM

I found it, you basically add the module and opt for manual config. However, whenever I try to select the Voice system market configuration, SDD just goes blank on me. I waited a good ten minutes before I aborted.