XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Grinding From the Rear End - Blown Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Grinding From the Rear End - Blown Bearing?

A few days ago I noticed that the car began making a terrible grinding noise when moving under 20-30mph, once I reached highway speeds there was a lot of road noise in the cabin but the grinding stopped.

So yesterday I got the car up on a jack and pulled the rear right (passenger) wheel and made a visual inspection and from what I could tell that there were pieces floating around in between the hub and the knuckle.

I checked out some part vendors to see what those things could be and I have come to the conclusion that the bearing retainer clip somehow poped off, and if there is some sort of gasket in there it is floating around with the clip.

Does this make sense? Has a retainer clip ever failed like this?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Are you sure you haven't picked up some debris from the road, that's wrapped itself around the hub ?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Are you sure you haven't picked up some debris from the road, that's wrapped itself around the hub ?
I am sure it isn't road debris, it looks like the retainer pin is hanging loosely around the axle part that runs through the bearing to the hub.

When I had the car up on a jack I had significant play in the wheel both at the 12 and 6 position as well as the 9 to 3 position. I jacked up the other side to see if there is any play there and there was none, leading me to believe that the bearing came loose.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts
Default grinding wheel!

I have a spare rear wheel knuckle and there is a large diameter circlip next to the bearing which is pressed into the knuckle.

I was surprised how easy it was to remove the circlip-it did not seem to have much spring in it, even so it is located in a groove in the housing.

I am not totally surprised that the poor quality circlip has become detached but I am surprised that the bearing has come out of the housing!

I have never heard of this happening before.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
I have a spare rear wheel knuckle and there is a large diameter circlip next to the bearing which is pressed into the knuckle.

I was surprised how easy it was to remove the circlip-it did not seem to have much spring in it, even so it is located in a groove in the housing.

I am not totally surprised that the poor quality circlip has become detached but I am surprised that the bearing has come out of the housing!

I have never heard of this happening before.
Since I dont have the tools to be able to press out and in a bearing I went ahead and bought a whole knuckle (used) from a parts recycle that I know and trust with the bearing and sensor all included. Cost me $70 shipped.

I will pull off the old knuckle when I get it, probably tomorrow, and I will upload some pix of what it looks like.

I dont think the bearing came out, I just think it got a little loose in there allowing play in the wheel.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

If the bearing has got loose, you'll probably find the hub carrier, (or knuckle), is scrap due to fretting.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

In the race cars when one hub bearing goes out, the other side is usually quick to follow. Be listening for the other side soon.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Just a guess, but it sounds like the bearing lost its lube, failed and overheated, causing it to seize and spin in the hub and the sealing cover to come loose or break up, which could be the part you saw floating loose. Getting a new knuckle was a good idea, especially a used one as the knuckle is not a wear item, its either good or broken, no in between. The old one was probably toast if the bearing spun in it. I suggest putting a new bearing in it though. Easy to do when it's apart and should last for years. I also suggest replacing the one on the other side while you're set up to do it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
Just a guess, but it sounds like the bearing lost its lube, failed and overheated, causing it to seize and spin in the hub and the sealing cover to come loose or break up, which could be the part you saw floating loose. Getting a new knuckle was a good idea, especially a used one as the knuckle is not a wear item, its either good or broken, no in between. The old one was probably toast if the bearing spun in it. I suggest putting a new bearing in it though. Easy to do when it's apart and should last for years. I also suggest replacing the one on the other side while you're set up to do it.
Dont I need a press to push out and in the new bearing? That is the reason I got the whole knuckle, as to avoid needing the press since I don't have one nor access to one.

I am going to leave the other side for now and pray it doesn't fail as well. My Jag just rolled over the 90,xxx mark and I only intend to keep her till 100,xxx and swap for an '08 XJR - G-d willing.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes, you would need to press the old one out, the new one in. You can use the old one, but bets are off, you just don't know how long it will last. A machine shop would not charge much to change the bearing though.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Bearings are cheap insurance if sourced from a general bearing provider...
One of mine overheated so much in the past that it took 20,000 lbs of pressure to remove it!
Cheers!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Lightbulb

Well well well... it seems that a metal retainer and a rubber gasket that goes behind it came apart from the HUB SIDE of the bearing and not from the axle (inner) part... This is very strange.

Anyone ever had such a failure before?

Attached Thumbnails Grinding From the Rear End - Blown Bearing?-bearing.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Can you show some more pics once you've dissembled it.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by webmaster9000
Dont I need a press to push out and in the new bearing? That is the reason I got the whole knuckle, as to avoid needing the press since I don't have one nor access to one.
It's very convenient when you have a spare spindle as you can take it to the machine shop without having the car out of action. Any automotive machine shop can do it for a few dollars.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Grinding From the Rear End - Blown Bearing?

Just had another look at my spare knuckle and the hub is integral with it so I would guess that you have bought the whole lot.

I think that you have been very unlucky to have this assembly fail however replacement should be fairly straightforward but the nut (36mm) holding the driveshaft to the hub will be very tight. I don't know the torque setting but you may need a British Standard scaffold pole on that!

You may find the hub quite tight on the driveshaft splines also.

BTW the knuckles are handed.

I think used spares are great value for money.

Looking forward to photos of the 'broken bits''

Good luck

Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

I am beginning to think that maybe something off the road got in there and did some wrecking ! This is normally a very reliable component.