XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Had my tire check for a leak and now the car when sitting lowers 2 inches over night

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Had my tire check for a leak and now the car when sitting lowers 2 inches over night

What is the deal? It was perfect before I had them take off the tire to check for a leak. They jacked up one side removed the wheel. Put the tire back on and I drove home. The next morning the car was low in the front but only by about 2 inches. I unlocked the door with the remote and the car came right back up to the normal ride height (didn't have to open the door or start the car). I locked the door and went back inside. WTF is going on? Do I have to have the suspension recalibrated just because they jacked up the front end on one side only???????????? What the devil is going on?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The system goes into 'Sleep' mode when you lock the car and wakes up every 24 hours to check the ride height. Clearly you came along in less than 24 hours, and by unlocking the car, woke it up, so it immediately checked and found the ride height was wrong and corrected it. However, it only uses the pressure in the reservoir, the air compressor is not used.

If your car sank down overnight, it indicates a slow leak, maybe in one air spring or the other. Now the car seems OK, can you confirm that there are no fault messages as you don't mention any ?

I have had wheels taken off many times without anything odd happening, so I would keep an eye on things to see how it pans out. What miles on the car, BTW ?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Default Figured it out

The bag for the side they fixed the leak of the tire, must have ruptured somehow. Luckily, they are only two years old and Arnott is overnighting me two front assemblies ( the newer style with the covers, made with Continental bags vs. the Goodyear bags, the older style). I looked on Youtube and it looks to me to be about a 30 minute replacement for each bag. Ill change the bags out in the AM and send the ones that were on the car back to Arnott in the afternoon for a refund. They even pay for shipping both ways. What a deal!!!!! Free, new strut assemblies and a much better longer lasting set of bags(all because they didn't have any more cores of the cheaper bags to exchange mine for) So, I'm getting the newer style struts, free. Just my own time. You cant ask for a better company warranty than that. I would NEVER convert my car to coils over the bag system. They have a limited lifetime warranty on these bags. Unless you destroy the bag other than normal wear and tear they are covered. Thank you for your answer. There were no messages on the dash and car has 80k miles its an 07 XJR.

Last edited by Collector1; 09-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Collector1
I unlocked the door with the remote and the car came right back up to the normal ride height (didn't have to open the door or start the car).
So if the right air bladder was ruptured, how did the system achieve the correct ride hight when you unlocked the door? Or did it rise to the correct height and then sink back down when the compressor shut off?

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Default The innner seal ruptured

It is getting worse as it leaks down faster but the bags came this AM and my friend who owns a shop is charging me $50.00 to put them in this afternoon. The bag itself it good, it's the inner seal that went. It has no issues filling up nor does it have issue holding air for about 30 minutes when sitting but if I didn't rush this I could potentially damage the pump.