XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Has anyone successfully enabled "Global close"; what does it do actually?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 06:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully enabled "Global close"; what does it do actually?

I am trying to convince my car to shut all the windows when I hold the Lock button on the remote for couple of seconds...
(I read somewhere that this was standard in XJs sold in Europe and disabled by default in USA, for security concerns.)

Going by the ControlModuleProgramming.pdf from motorcarman's post I made a guess it could be the "Global close enable" function,
...look at the PDF though:

Two identically named items? And shouldn't the function contain the word "Remote", like the one listed between those two identical items? 😲
Could this mean someone meant to type in "Remote global close enable" and instead entered "Global closing enable" again?

Has anyone successfully enabled this feature please? Does it actually mean REMOTE closing?

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-10-2024 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 10:01 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaroslav Záruba
I am trying to convince my car to shut all the windows when I hold the Lock button on the remote for couple of seconds...
(I read somewhere that this was standard in XJs sold in Europe and disabled by default in USA, for security concerns.)
Safety // legal liability, not chopping a passenger's arm off, cutting the family dog in half, etc.... not security.
Has anyone successfully enabled this feature please? Does it actually mean REMOTE closing?
Yes.

I have seen it covered in threads right here on-forum. Probably five or more years ago? I

It can be, and has been, configured to work as "REMOTE" global close. I do NOT know if there is a 'one button' local equivalant from INSIDE the car using local switches, AND NOT the fob...... I just do the many-step juggle....don't park where Zombies and other predators are active..

Last edited by Thermite; 07-10-2024 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 12:05 AM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermite
Safety // legal liability, not chopping a passenger's arm off, cutting the family dog in half, etc.... not security.
I've read this before but it just seems so bizarre to me lol.... if that was a genuine concern, why can I close the rear windows from the driver's seat while I'm paying attention to the road? Surely the risk of catching something in the window is at least as high as if I was closing everything remotely..

My XE does global open which is actually suuuuper useful in the hot summer, but I always wondered why I can't close all the windows etc in one go. The other thing that's always annoyed me is the windows/sunroof stay open when I lock (and double-lock) the car... do jags have another setting that can be enabled so all the windows and sunroof close automatically when the doors are locked?

Old 07-11-2024, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Thermite
Oh yes, my flawless English 🤡
You're correct, of course 👍🏻

Old 07-11-2024, 05:27 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Jaroslav, I have this enabled (via SDD). It does indeed permit you to use key fob remote to "globally" close all the windows and (if i remember correctly) the sunroof as well.

Last edited by ctsemicon; 07-11-2024 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Jaroslav, I have this enabled (via SDD). It does indeed permit you to use key fob remote to "globally" close all the windows and (if i remember correctly) the sunroof as well.
Awesome! The sunroof is my main motivator - I am never quite sure I closed it properly.

Would you remember whether your SDD was of version 130?

I tried 130 yesterday and I did not see the function in the "Recommendations" list (under Service Functions - a random screenshot of the screen from Google)
...and I don't know where else could I find these tweaks.
If all goes well I shall try 138 later today.

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-11-2024 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:22 AM

Oh boy, you are stretching my memory. I have not logged in to SDD since I first got car and did the initial changes. Please, all you regular users of SDD please chime in.

However, according to my laptop did use 1.63, and remember that the configuration files were under (?) EXTRAS tab. I am logging into SDD offline as we speak to see if I can recall / will edit this after I confirm.

Ok, I do note that it must "flip" to the Legacy function once it detects my specific VIN (2004 X350), and, again, I seem to remember this requires Mongoose Pro.

But there are surely members here who use SDD more frequently and can give you specific roadmap to using Ver 1.3x. Do Use Caution as many have scrambled modules during programming; I remember I just got in, changed some configs, and got the hell out as its my daily driver.

Last edited by ctsemicon; 07-11-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:31 AM

Mine appears to be (a clone of) Mongoose Pro, and SDD 130 has no Extras tab as far as I remember.

Somehow I assumed 1.63 would be "way too new" for an x350/x358... might try 163 too then.

I am yet to attempt any "writing" in SDD, but yes, it'll be a nail-biter.

Old 07-11-2024, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Both of mine will global open, with the unlock button on the remote.
But they require the key to be inserted, & turned to the right twice, or just held.
For the global closing feature to engage

Old 07-12-2024, 05:24 AM

OK, I just tested mine to be sure, and.....By holding the Unlock button on the key fob, all 4 windows and the sunroof open. Then, by holding Lock button on key fob, all four windows and the sunroof close. Now, this may have something to do with year; mine is a 2004 XJ8 SWB. I do have to double click the Lock button after windows close to fold power mirrors (I retrofitted mine with folding mirrors, and added that to "enabled" with SDD when I enabled Global Close).

Let's hope the pro SDD users chime in with the path to the configuration menu. I do remember being nervous as a cat in a dogpen after enabling then writing config on the 2004...SDD seemed way slower and temperamental then my previous XKR and F-type. That's why I've avoided using it since then.

Jaroslav Záruba (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:38 AM

You wouldn't remember if you had the "Global closing enabled" function listed in the "Recommendations" list right away...?
Or did you indicate somehow in the SDD app that you are replacing the mirrors, and this the app decided to reveal some extras...?

I have been lead to understand that many of the options will only appear in the list after you indicate that you need to meddle with a particular module by describing a symptom that is relevant to said module.
I.e. to be able to mess with Global closing enabled I might need to describe some symptom related to either the remote or to windows (I am guessing here), and only then the SDD app recommends to run some extra routines.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:29 PM

OK, I know this is not straightforward help you are seeking, but, I did hook my SDD 163.00/Mongoose up and got online with car. It definitely required;
a. I had to let it flip to the "legacy version" when SDD fired up.
b. Since MS Edge is not compatible with the SDD app natively, you have to open Edge (before you start SDD), go to Settings, then go Default Browser. Then select ALLOW under the "Allow Sites to run in IE Mode". Then ADD the following sites; http://localhost.8080 and http://localhost:8081 .
After that I was afraid to get too invasive. This forum thread does have some excellent pics - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...es-sdd-267702/
And this seems like a definitive set of instructions for 160 +...https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/how-...1-of-2.112926/

Last edited by ctsemicon; 07-12-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:11 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a 2004 XJ8 (USA) and the global lock feature is covered in the Driver's Handbook, section 2, pages 8-10.

Old 07-12-2024, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rsa760041
I have a 2004 XJ8 (USA) and the global lock feature is covered in the Driver's Handbook, section 2, pages 8-10.
Oh I see:
Key transmitter - Press and hold the lock button for longer than 2 seconds to close all the electrically operated windows and sunroof (if fitted – one shot operation). Pressing any button again while global closing is taking place will stop all movement
Going through the Owner's Handbook has also just taught me that holding the Central locking switch on the center console for more than 2s does what I am asking from the remote:
If the vehicle is unlocked, press and hold the switch for more than two seconds to centrally lock the vehicle and close all the windows and sunroof (if fitted)
And the key too:
Key in the driver’s door - Turn and hold the key towards the rear of the vehicle, for more than 2 seconds duration, to close all the electrically operated windows and sunroof (if fitted). If the key is released, the global closing action stops immediately.
That's like 50% success, thank you!

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-12-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 05:29 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad to help.

Old 07-12-2024, 05:40 PM

However, according to my laptop did use 1.63, and remember that the configuration files were under (?) EXTRAS tab. I am logging into SDD offline as we speak to see if I can recall / will edit this after I confirm.
I am yet to see that "Extras" tab in my SDD, I am pretty sure I've already seen it on someone's screenshots though.

OK, I know this is not straightforward help you are seeking, but, I did hook my SDD 163.00/Mongoose up and got online with car. It definitely required;
a. I had to let it flip to the "legacy version" when SDD fired up.
b. Since MS Edge is not compatible with the SDD app natively, you have to open Edge (before you start SDD), go to Settings, then go Default Browser. Then select ALLOW under the "Allow Sites to run in IE Mode". Then ADD the following sites; http://localhost.8080 and Monitoring Only .
After that I was afraid to get too invasive. This forum thread does have some excellent pics - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...es-sdd-267702/
And this seems like a definitive set of instructions for 160 +...https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/how-...1-of-2.112926/
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Those seem to be excellent threads!
I was too afraid to click the Key icon, for example, now I see that may be the way...? 😲

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

In the end it took the Dealer options routine to find the list of tweaks
Global closing and Driver's mirror dip in reverse are now enabled on my car, and they both work as expected.