XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Headlamp Washers not activating

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlamp Washers not activating

Hi everyone,

My car is a 2004 XJ8 Vanden Plas, I bought it last summer with about 50k miles on it. Local lease return, in pristine condition and has the touch-screen nav option. Love the car to bits, it's gorgeous and drives like a dream.

When I bought it the fellow who sold it to me said that the sensor array front and back didn't work but he gave me a compelling enough deal on the vehicle that I was able to justify buying it anyways. It seems that the headlamp washers never worked and don't work currently as well, which would be a nice feature to have in this dirty spring I currently find myself in.

My question is mainly what would cause the headlamp washers to not activate, and would that be at all connected to the sensors not working? I was at the dealership for an unrelated suspension fault but the tech told me she'd have to charge me diagnostic fees and I guess I'm just too cheap to spend money on a feature I don't necessarily need.

I'd also ask if anyone has any experience getting the sensors to work on their cars in the past but it's not the biggest issue in my life right now, especially considering I feel like it would cost a couple thousand to fix, (no idea where this number came from though).

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

A lot of people disconnect them because they find them to be annoying, ruining a nice wax job when they activate. Perhaps the previous owner felt this way. I searched for "headlight washers" on the forums and this turned up:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...washers-63603/

Vector

Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

04XJWPG,

Sorry as this may be a stupid question but was the car in drive when you tried to activate the headlight washers? They won't activate unless the car is in drive when you hit the wash button.

Mathew

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

For mine, they will only work if the lights are on too. If the lights are off, only the windshield washer/wipers come on.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Well, first off, your US cars maybe different to our UK ones. However, on our UK cars the headlight washers are not activated everytime you press the "wash/wipe" button on the end of the stalk. AFAIK you have to have your lights on and even then it is only about every 3 or 4 wash cycles. The Owner Manual describes it I think.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi.
Lights must be switched on, ignition at position II. Once activated, only every 6th press of the button will acivate washers again. Also if there is low washer reservoir level they will not activate.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone.

The car is Canadian, but I would assume NA cars are all the same spec. I have tried everything: key in position II (running and not running), daytime/nightime lights on/off, intermittent wipers set to automatic/manual, reservoir is completely full of fluid, there don't appear to be any obstructions or anything...

I am at a loss.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi first time here, one of the jets on my headlight washer came out, now i get a hose like stream of water, so i rang jaguars' they told me the part is no longer supplied or stocked, try going to a breakers to get one, anyone else know of somewhere to get one, just the jet that directs the water to the light, drivers side if there is any difference. thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Hi jwpjagxj6

Introducing your own topic on someone else's post is called "highjacking the thread"

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwpjagxj6
Hi first time here, one of the jets on my headlight washer came out, now i get a hose like stream of water, so i rang jaguars' they told me the part is no longer supplied or stocked, try going to a breakers to get one, anyone else know of somewhere to get one, just the jet that directs the water to the light, drivers side if there is any difference. thanks in advance.
Had exactly the same .funny how the water comes out like from a hose..but Jaguar in this part of the world could fix it with a replacement part immediatly.Its not just the jet, that jet is connected to a hose, and is all together. Unfortunately do not have the part number, but there is this part.