XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Headlight Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Replacement

k Folks, got a 2005 XJ VDP back in January of this year, the right side (passenger) low beam went on vacation and does not appear to be returning anytime soon, so a replacement is in order.
Question is what/which H7 bulb should I get, Walmart at $10 or auto store up to $80, what have ya'll used for replacement bulbs. Yes they are halogen not the HID type.

The following users liked this post:
Andiepops (12-27-2019)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Scratching my head, but it sounds like a repair shop took a shortcut. I'd use HID - both sides at once - and do it right.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Originally Posted by MyTurn
k Folks, got a 2005 XJ VDP back in January of this year, the right side (passenger) low beam went on vacation and does not appear to be returning anytime soon, so a replacement is in order.
Question is what/which H7 bulb should I get, Walmart at $10 or auto store up to $80, what have ya'll used for replacement bulbs. Yes they are halogen not the HID type.
If your car truly does have halogen H7 low beams rather than HID, I recommend Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs, which are about $45.00 per pair at O'Reilly, AutoZone, Advance and elsewhere, but even lower prices are available online. These are the brightest, whitest bulbs I've found. The tradeoff is that they don't last as long as $10 Walmart bulbs so I have to replace them a couple times per year, but the increased night vision and safety is well worth the additional cost to me.

BTW, our '04 XJR has HID low beams and H7 high beams (the low beams are the outside lenses nearest the sides of the car, the high beams are the inner lenses nearest the grille).

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I am a fan of the Sylvania Ultra beams as well, pricey but great bulbs. Will be replacing my HID low beams in my 2004 XJR shortly. Getting the intermittant flashing now and it will only get worse, based on HIDs in my Cadillac.

RyeJag

Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

HID lights and Halogen lights are completely different systems with no interchangeable parts. Halogen lights use incandescent bulbs. HID lights use an arc capsule rather than a bulb. They require ballasts to supply the high starting voltage - around 40,000-50,000 volts. If you have actual HID lights you cannot use any kind of halogen bulb.

If you have halogen lights there are two different ways to get "HID" lights. The first way is to buy a set of "HID" bulbs off eBay, like these:

PT Xenon HID Light Kit Bulb H7 8000K Lifetime Warranty | eBay

These are actually regular halogen bulbs painted blue to make them look like the color of HID light. The blue coating reduces the available light output by around 80%.

The second way is to buy a conversion kit like this one:

HID Headlights Kits - Xenon HID Conversion Kits - FREE Shipping & Lifetime Warranty | XenonPro.com

These actually use HID arc bulbs and ballasts, but they go in your existing headlight. Since you light was designed for incandescent bulbs and arc bulbs have a completely different light profile, you will get far worse lighting than with the halogen bulbs. The reflector and housing in the lamp need to be designed specifically for arc capsules to work properly.

The bottom line is to use the correct part, either halogen bulbs or HID arc capsules, for your lamp. Anything else is dangerous and counterproductive.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

...and when you actually go to replace the bulbs, don't remove the bumper as some will suggest. It's tricky, but doable another way. Post here or PM me when you go to change the bulbs.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I have seen people successfully replace the bulbs with the light housing in the car. I have seen people break the new $100 bulb that way too. I tend to be clumsy and break things when I try for a shortcut, so a long time ago I learned that, for me anyway, it's better in the long run to spend the extra time. I just put two HID capsules in my brother's XJ8 last month by pulling the bumper cover. Total time, 45 minutes, with near zero chance of breaking anything. Then again, I have fat fingers that don't bend very well, so doing it with the lamp in the car is more difficult for me anyway. ;-}

Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

SaturnV

very curious about the not removing bumper method. HID bulb replacement is an upcoming project for my XJR

RyeJag

Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Think I will have to shoot a video or something, trying to type it out makes it tough to explain the "english" you have to use to get it done.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Success; got the bulb replaced this weekend, thanks for the suggestions and guidance in this journey into self preservation. Stopped in at the local dealer to have codes cleared and get an estimate on replacing the bulb. Well, they certainly gave me incentive to self perform to the tune of $600. Explanation was our "mechanics have large hands and can not access without removing the bumper". After a bit more research here is how it was done.
1. release the wire retaining clip that holds the back cover in place (easy)
2. Wiggle, prod, bitch, pull the back cover out (not so easy) but does come out
3. remove the plug connector from rear of light. The wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in place is under the connector. (takes some doing because it's TIGHT).
4. There is a wire retaining clip that folds down over the back of the bulb and has a a turned up loop on the bottom side of bulb. I used a 6inch forceps with turned up end (same as those used for removing fish hooks) pinch the bottom loop with the forceps and pull up.
5. replace bulb and repeat above in reverse.

The following users liked this post:
Brian M Williams (08-14-2014)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MyTurn
Success; got the bulb replaced this weekend,
2. Wiggle, prod, bitch, pull the back cover out (not so easy) but does come out
I haven't been able to get the back covers out. I got them to the side which is enough to replace the bulbs, but I'm putting in an HID covernsion and need to drill a 1" hole in the cover (with grommet) for the wires to pass through. No idea how I get the bottom off, and no idea how I'll get the back on again (without removing the bumper).

Also, Anyone tried one of those polishing kits to try to get the fog out of the lenses? Do you need to do anything to the inside? I'm surprised at how cloudy they are at the top.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

HID conversion? I thought all x350s had factory HID lows.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Torrid
HID conversion? I thought all x350s had factory HID lows.
Not a '05 xj8l. I think the 2005 VPs had them, but not the lowly xj8 (at least mine don't)....

Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe that's it. I've only driven VDPs since that's what I was looking to buy at the time.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

My XJ8 03 model first X350 model has HID in low beam

I have been buying my globes from these guys Headlights, Car Lights, Headlight Bulb, Car Bulbs, Car Light Bulbs | PowerBulbs very reasonable prices free shipping

Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SaturnV
Think I will have to shoot a video or something, trying to type it out makes it tough to explain the "english" you have to use to get it done.
Love to get a video; my right side lenses were replaced due to a crack, but the left are original and are yellow and hazy/foggy. I've got a polisher kit I will try, but I expect it isn't going to do a good job, so I'll need to replace the lamp housing so will have to remove the bumper for it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:48 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by slmskrs
Not a '05 xj8l. I think the 2005 VPs had them, but not the lowly xj8 (at least mine don't)....
The HIDs were an option on the XJ8s.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a procedure for removing the front bumper. I have an 04' XJ8 and need to replace the low beam bulbs. I was able to get to the driver side, but the passenger side cover is stubborn (and there is even less space than the drivers's side because of the grounding wires and screws.

Last edited by hoary2001; 10-09-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ryejag
SaturnV

very curious about the not removing bumper method. HID bulb replacement is an upcoming project for my XJR

RyeJag
Originally Posted by SaturnV
When I bought my 06SV8 in Houston one low beam was out and the car lot said they'd put it in if I bought it. The fellow there who checked the car for me thought it was a dealer only item so $180 later the lot mechanic put it in - I didn't see the exact process, but he did not remove the bumper cover.

My question to the experts is how does one change the little town lights in the headlights and what bulb do they take? One of those is out on my car and while it is no big deal, it would be nice to see both of them on at the appropriate times.

On headlight lens polishing, on our mini-vans I wet sanded them with 800 grit, 1000 grit, and 2000 grit wet-or-dry followed by Meguiars auto polish. Made a big difference in them and I expect to do the same on the SV8. I read somewhere that wiping them with non-clorinated brake fluid would shine them up, but it seemed a pretty drastic method so I did the wet-or-dry method instead. I found the wet-or-dry in packs of four legal envelope sized sheets at Walmart.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

These are what I use. Great bulb. They produce the same color are Silverstar. Buy 3 packs. Replace all at same time, keep spares in trunk Last the same as Silverstar. About a year. There are many bulbs out there that are not DOT approved for road usage, and get you ticketed.

Amazon.com: HELLA H83145112 H7 12V/55W High Performance Xenon Blue Halogen Bulb Set: Automotive Amazon.com: HELLA H83145112 H7 12V/55W High Performance Xenon Blue Halogen Bulb Set: Automotive

Last edited by Box; 10-10-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Replacement