XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
5 - Another way of releasing the bulb would be to pull the wire socket off the bulb before releasing the clip. Just be careful not to pull too hard on the wires.
Thanks for the detailed procedure...I just tried it and was _finally_ able to replace a bulb myself!

I would definitely recommend removing the socket off the bulb BEFORE releasing the retainer clip (especially if you've never done it before). When you remove the socket from the bulb, it's easy to see that the clip is held in place by a little hook that you have to unhook it from.

Once you get the clip "unhooked", the bulb will come out and it'll be easy to replace it.

Removing the socket from the bulb may not be that easy either. It will come off (being that it's only held in place by friction), but I was scared that I was going to break off the bulb connectors.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deleted original wording...posted accidentally twice and could not find a way to delete this reply.

Last edited by majbill; 03-23-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: posted twice
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My driver's side front turn signal bulb blew this morning on the way to work. After the bulb goes the yellow dash light illuminates and the message center reads LFT FRONT TURN LAMP FAILED. With such an urgent message under my nose I was inclined to change the bulb immediately. Plus the blinker blinks at double speed inside the car which is highly annoying.

Following the instructions in the owner's manual it was within my abilities but don't attempt this if you have Fred Flintstone hands. It's a mighty tight spot and I ended up with a couple scrapes.

Hardest part was the last step: twisting the assembly clockwise into its housing.

I located the replacement bulbs at Advanced Auto Parts, amber Sylvania 7507, $5.99 a pair.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Default Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005

XJ8JR, followed your instructions and they really helped but man what a time for the first time changing out a bulb. Mine is an 04 XJ8. Don't consider my hands large but is a cramped space to work in. Releasing the cover no problem; getting the cover out the way a bit of a problem-finally held it back off the side with a large screwdrive pinched in so it would be out of my way; getting the plug off was difficult (probably not removed in quite a while); got the plug off and went for the spring retainer which took me some time to get off; got the old bulb out without much problem. Putting new bulb in not much of a problem but trying to put the clip back on to hold the bulb took forever and I still did not get it on...came close a couple of times....putting the clip on was all blind and feelbecause I couldn't see-my hand covered the area. Using three fingers, feeling for the little hook at the bottom for the bottom of the spring to slip on really hard to do. Finally lost the spring retainer..fell into the Jag abyss of unknown. I could barely see a bit of it but could not get it. Tried to get another one-not available..could not get from dealership..Jag's answer buy the whole light assembly. Finally next day after driving guess I bounced it up some and was able to see it and pull it out with a magnet. Got smart this time...don't know why I didn't do this first....put a shop wrag around the open area of the light so if the retainer fell again it would not get lost.So bulb back in started the process all over. This time managed to get the retainer on in about ten minutes. Talk about someone being happy to get that accomplished. Back on the road. I pity the person that loses one of these...finding them is next to impossible unless you can find a wrecked Jag.
Bill

The following users liked this post:
joeldietzjr (10-20-2023)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

hello can someone tell me if I have regular or HID? The outer big light is not working -Wolfy

Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

sorry wolfy, having trouble with your pic/link. Can't you attach it?

Do the lights, when you turn them on, start out a little dim, then brighten? or is it instant, unchanging glow?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Similar to XJ8RJ's instructions, check the last post from this thread where I provided step-by-step pictorial instructions.

Good luck

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-xenons-78298/

Gnoel6635 (05-23-2023)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 Super V8 Parts list

Can someone direct me to where I can look up my own part numbers with exploded view for my 05 Super v8. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a way to do the HID bulbs. Take off the cover between the grill and the radiator support. you will be able to see the back of the lights. Now for the part that would only makes sense to Jaguar owners. Take off the front wheel and remove the inner fender well cover, it only take 10 minutes, you will now be able to see the back side of the light and be able to remove the clips, plug and bulb with very little effort.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Default Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005

Had to do this twice on my 04 XJ8...pain in the rear...very poorly designed...need the hands of a small child. Got it done through contorsional moves and some choice words. Oh and yours truly did drop that stupid clip a couple of times and on one occasion took me forever and a good strong flexible magnet to get it off of the place it chose to hide on the frame. Next attemp took a shop rag and blocked the space so if and when it fell again I could easily get it.....and oh yes, fell several times before getting it back on. What they were thinking in design I don't know.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Just for reference I took these photo's of the location of the vehicle headlight types.

D1S:

Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005-image001.jpg

H7:

Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005-image002.jpg

Headlight showing location of type:

Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005-image003.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited by trosty; 09-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 12,922 Likes on 6,457 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
Just for reference I took these photo's of the location of the vehicle headlight types.

Hi trosty,

It may be the security settings on my computer, but I couldn't get the attachments to open.

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Hmmm, I will look into it later, thanks.

Resolution changed, uploaded and now working.

Last edited by trosty; 09-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a bulb burned out on my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, and I'm assuming that this is the low beam headlight (as it's the farthest one out on the passenger side)? Also, I'm not certain if there is simply a halogen bulb in it, or a HID (as a HID was described as a 'big round projector' in a prior post). What I'm seeing is an approximately 2.5" long 0.75" diameter tubular structure inside the lens. I'm not sure that I would describe that as a 'big round projector' so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Also, can someone provide me with a part number for it? Thanks.

Last edited by Rickkk; 09-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickkk
I have a bulb burned out on my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, and I'm assuming that this is the low beam headlight (as it's the farthest one out on the passenger side)? Also, I'm not certain if there is simply a halogen bulb in it, or a HID (as a HID was described as a 'big round projector' in a prior post). What I'm seeing is an approximately 2.5" long 0.75" diameter tubular structure inside the lens. I'm not sure that I would describe that as a 'big round projector' so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Also, can someone provide me with a part number for it? Thanks.
My 06 SV8 has HID bulbs in the outers. One was out when I test drove it at the car lot in Houston. Went to an auto parts store for a replacement and they showed an H7, but that was not it. Lot removed it and it was a D1S with a large square metal base with connector on one side. Jaguar dealer charged $180 but these are available from Amazon for much less. I even saw these listed at Home Depot for $49. Jag part number was C2N1716. The H7 is apparently for the inner lamps. Odd thing is that most sources say D2S is the right lamp for HID ( it has a round base) but that's not what came out nor what the car lot put back in. I did not replace it myself so I can't say how hard or easy, but they removed just the plastic cover across the front of the engine bay - not the bumper cover - and it didn't take long. I do need to replace one of the little "town lights" that is out; other things come first, but if someone knows the lamp number and how it is changed it would be good to know and helpful..

Rickkk (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the information Phil! It does appear that I have the regular bulbs in the inners, and the HID bulbs in the outers. I'll check out the numbers that you supplied. Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Upon removing the main headlight bulb from the passenger side of my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L this morning (farthest light out), I quickly discovered that it was simply an Osram 64210 (H7) 55 watt halogen bulb. I picked up another one (Wagner Part No. BP1255) at my local NAPA dealer for $9.75 total.

Disassembly procedure that I used:

1. Remove top shroud from engine bay area
2. Dislodge top spring from back cover
3. Tilt the back cover towards the radiator so as to partially free it from the bottom retainer spring, and wiggle the cover in a sidewise motion to complete the process
4. Remove back cover
5. Disconnect electrical jack from bulb
6. Disconnect bulb retainer spring from bottom latch
7. Remove bulb

Assembly procedure that I used:

1. Insert new bulb
2. Reinstall bulb retainer spring onto the bottom latch
3. Reconnect electrical jack onto bulb
4. Reattach back cover
5. Disconnect one leg of the top retainer spring from the hinge, place spring over the back cover retainer grooves, and reconnect the leg of the top retainer spring into the hinge using needle nose pliers
6. Reattach shroud from engine bay area

Note: In my case, the rubber gasket to the back cover wouldn't stay in place so I had to apply some rubber cement to secure it to the back cover. After allowing the cement to dry 1.5 hours, I then reattached the back cover.

Additional Note: A small LED flashlight & hand mirror are useful.

Pictured below: Burned out Osram 64210 (H7) 55 watt halogen bulb

Attached Thumbnails  Headlight bulb replacement xj8 2005-osram-64210-h7-55-watt-bulb-burned-out-.jpg  

Last edited by Rickkk; 09-08-2015 at 10:25 AM.
joeldietzjr (10-20-2023)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:30 AM

chiming I’m on this old thread to concur that changing the low beam bulb is much easier/quicker on the driver side than the passenger. My 2005 XJ8 L needed the pass side last year and today I swapped out the drivers side. Embarrassed to say how long it took last year on the passenger side. It took me 15 total minutes to change the drivers side, though.

NOTE: The switch was not xenon/HID lights. Standard OEM Halogen.

I didn’t take off the bumper cover. Instead:
• pop hold
• remove radiator cover
• pull “bar” that secures headlamp casing back towards the front of the car
• peel back the cover
• press down and gently pull retaining clip that secures bulb in place
• gently “unplug” old bulb
• plug in new bulb
• reverse procedures to reassemble
• CAUTIONS: Either wear some thin gloves (you’ll need tactile feel) or be super careful you don’t touch the new bulb. Even the smallest amount of oil or dirt can
compromise the fidelity of the bulb
• ANOTHER CAUTION: it’s easy to drop the retainer clip and lose it down in the abyss of the motor compartment.
OVERALL DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: 2 out of 10. I’d say 1 but access is a really bitc$h. That said, though, aside from swapping out new trunk hydraulic arms, this is about as easy of a DIY job on this car.

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I eventually figured out how to do it shortly after writing my last post on this thread. And now its the simplest thing, I can do both sides in less than 10 minutes. I even installed HID lights. All without removing the bumper.

You may have trouble if you have larger than average hands, but here goes:
1 - Remove the plastic cover that hides the grille/radiator and headlights area
2 - Starting on either headlight, locate the metal retaining bar that holds the back cover in place. A good tug towards the front of the car will do the trick, but if the lights havent been changed in a while the bar may need a real strong pull.
3 - Open up the back cover and pry it all the way out. Doing this instead of just sliding it to the side will free up a few more inches of hand room.
4 - Now you'll have access to the bulbs and wires in the housing. The top bulb will be the signal repeater, the bottom will be the main headlamp. There will be a thin metal clip holding the bulb in place which releases from beneath the bulb. If you push the bottom of this clip to the side and up, it will come free but be careful not to let it drop out completely. You should be able to gently lift it up and have it stay in its place.
5 - Another way of releasing the bulb would be to pull the wire socket off the bulb before releasing the clip. Just be careful not to pull too hard on the wires.
6 - Now just simply pull out the bulb.
7 - To put in a new bulb I find its easier to plug it into the wire socket first and then put it into its housing, followed by securing the metal clip. Replace the back cover by inserting the bottom part into its mate (youll be able to see where to put it with a flashlight). Make sure its secure, then push the metal bar back until it pops (or clicks, whatever).

You're done and you've saved yourself energy, time and expense. And the next time you do it itll be even easier.

Now this only applies to regular H7 halogen headlamps, NOT the factory xenon HIDs.

Hope this helps. I had a lot of trouble at first because the instructions I found on the forum weren't too detailed. Alot of "remove cover, remove clip, pull out bulb, reverse"...and to a beginner thats not really any help.