XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Headliner

I just picked my XJR up form the paint shop. It looks great, but I've run into a problem. The headliner had to be lowered while they made repairs to the roof. They have put it back in place, but moving it around and manipulating it, has caused the fabric to separate from the foam backer in several places.

I plan on submitting an addendum to the paint job insurance claim as the headliner separation was caused by the covered paint job. I may or may not win that argument, but it won't hurt to try. The problem is where to get it done.

I went to a local upholstery place that works on headliners and they told me "I want nothing to do with that". He said he had done one before and it was a nightmare. I've been told that the rear window has to be removed to get the headliner out of an XJ8/R. Does this sound right?

Have any of you had the headliner replaced on your car? What was the process? Roughly what did it cost you?

Old 07-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Apparently the rear window does need to come out on the short wheelbase versions, but not for the long wheelbase variants.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did mine on a LWB, can come out the rear door. I would consider removing the windshield. The reason I did the headliner was because the windshield had gotten a crack.

Safelite has a new wire pull system that goes around the window and it will not damage the glass, they can remove and install pretty affordable and they process is very clean and not expensive. I inserted the repaired headliner is 30 seconds. I had prepared the old headliner for removal before I got there and they pulled glass, I pulled headliner, took it to headliner shop, and came back to put back in. Only snags was planning it out. Sunroof was a PITA.

I did pillars and parcel shelf.....in beige suede (fake) it looks way too awesome. $160 in material....a shop would charge a lot.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

I have not done it, but it appears you can get the headliner out the rear door on a SWB.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-x350-164330/

Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2004 XJ8 SWB. I had a lady do it for $250 without the sunroof. She had no issues getting it out without removing the window. The job looks great - not perfect - but I have never seen a replacement headliner look perfect.

So it can be done. Quality is up to the installer.

Note: She ran out of material for the sunroof and it has started to fail. So pay the extra and have the sunroof done at the same time. (Also it will assure color match.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid $375 to have mine done on the long wheel base. I asked if the rear screen would need to be removed and he said he could get it out the rear door even on the shorter wheel base.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Here are some pix

Old 07-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the headliner done on a SWB and they did not remove the window. I went through the dealer, but they sent it to "their guy" and it was about $350.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 AM

The issue with LWB HL is the length. SWB should go out with some bending. IT is hard to maneuver the HL to get the angle to remove out of driver rear door. Take off door seal. Wrap all edges of HL with blue tape or stretch wrap, a little bend wont hurt, but be careful it doesn't Taco in between overhear handles and sunroof hole. Can't go out the pass side because steering wheel interference. Removing the driver seat is a must, removing rear seat bottom wont hurt either. FYI 4 switch locks and rear bottom comes right out. You get to look for lost change and other secret valuables in the process. Switches goes to LH driver side to release. If you remove the sunroof....make sure you don't lose the roof sliders, there are 4, and the new material cut has to be exact or you will trigger the sunroof safety (kids head or drunk girl protection) and it will stop when closing to prevent injury. Local dealer send out trim shop charges $85 in Florida for standard material. Dealer markup get you to $350.....priceless.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the help.

Now I need to start looking for a shop somewhere near me that is willing to tackle the job. Knowing that a window doesn't have to come out is a big help.