XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Heated Driver Seat defect

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:26 AM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Heated Driver Seat defect

....so it happened to this family as well: After I purchased a nice XKR Convertible last year, my wife mentioned with growing emphasis, that she would also like having a Jaguar. But it needed to be a bigger car to carry things and offering enough space for at least 4 Persons.

So I purchased last week a 2007 XJ (X358) 2.7d with only 96tkm from Belgium.

Two things I Identified: the exhaust flex connectors before the DPF seem cracked... seems to be the usual issue with this enginge. I already ordered the downpipe fixing kit from the UK and wait for delivery.
Two days ago was the wifes birthday and she got the car as a present. Yesterday she took it for a ride the first time and complaint about the heated driver seat not warming up.

The car has the fully electric seats with heating and air cooling. Everything seems working except the heating function.

Can someone please point me to a thread with the general procedure how to check this? Mulimeter and a Laptop / Adapter with SDD is present.

BR
Ralf

Old 02-15-2020, 05:18 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Common problem, and not only with Jaguars,I had it in a Grand Cherokee a few years ago as well, what tends to happen is the wire element passing through the heating mat pad can break with constantly getting in and out of the car.
If I remember correctly the rear backrest pad somehow takes its power from the seat base pad so if the base pad breaks then the rear pad stops working.
Just over a year ago I had both my seat base pads stop working in my 2004 Super V8, in fact I do not know when the passenger one stopped as it is hardly ever used.
The car was in for a service and I asked them to check the pads with a circuit tester, sure enough both seat base pads were broken.
Apparently the leather can be a real pain to remove and refit neatly so I opted to get them to do it for me, they said as it was a troublesome job removing the covers they advised me to do the backrest pads at the same time as it would be sensible while the seat covers were off.
I think the pads were maybe about £50 each, at least I now have fully heated seats again.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:14 AM

Thanks a lot for that!

I have been reading a lot of stuff here in this forum, and depending of model I came across various possibel reasons for the heating not working. Including the seat module needing soldering and so on.
In my XKR the Headrest motors were not working. So removing and refitting the covers of the backrest I have done already and I'm not afraid doing it again at another car :-)
Some pictures from people having done that already would be excellent. And prior I need a clear fault diagnosis. Will a broken heater pad been shown by SDD?

BR
Ralf

Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the seats in this vehicle, like mine, are ventilated, rather than electrically heated. So no pads to break. When I asked the shop I use they said the only fix is a new seat. I'm hoping for a better, cheaper solution.

I think my passenger seat works fine, so my issue is localized to the drivers side.

Can someone with shop manuals share what they say about the ventilated seats?

The following users liked this post:
xkr_dougie (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Indeed! Mine are ventilated too. That was the reason for asking in the first place :-)

I only found this one so far, but I'm unsure if this is valid for the ventilated seats as well, because other Threads are talking about Peltier Elements as a Blower as Heating/Cooling Parts. Maybe there is someone with access to Topix and can help me out with the proper Schematics? My VIN is 87H20140

XJ Heated Seats

Last edited by xkr_dougie; 02-15-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I had no idea that the ventilated seats might be different, interesting about that as I have heated and cooled seats in my 2015 XJL

Old 02-16-2020, 01:01 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Y%20Update.pdf

Page 36 details the climate controlled seats. They are Peltier cells with blower fans. Hopefully it is just disconnected or a simple fuse issue. There was a TSB about interference with the seatback fan causing noise, which may have led someone to remove power (just speculating). If not, all of the related B-codes are in the PDF for further diagnosis.

Dave

xkr_dougie (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM

Thanks a lot Dave!

That's fantastic stuff and definitely helps a lot further. I see that there are a whole bunch of DTC available from the Seat Modules, so I will try to hook up the SDD this afternoon when back from the office.
On the way to the office this morning I was trying to check the general operation: when switching from heating to cooling and back I can hear the relay clicking. So at least this seems ok so far and helps to find the correct module inside the car.
When driving home, I recognized the cooling function working. Or maybe at least the fan moving some Air.

Will keep you updated on this!

Last edited by xkr_dougie; 02-17-2020 at 06:07 AM.
philipp.j.s. (05-11-2021)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

When mine are turned off can hear the module trying to do something every several seconds.

I'm wondering how hard it is to get at it to replace it. I'm tempted to just start throwing parts at the problem.