XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Heated Seats advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 05:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Seats advice please?

I'd like to fit heated front seat elements to my 3.0SE. Ideally I'd like to maintain the OEM look and have fitted a switch panel with the heated switches - which now "work" in that the 3 stage leds work as they should so I assume they are talking to the FEM OK.

So a few pointers if anyone can help?
1) Is there anywhere convenient I can access the seat wiring to see if the wiring loom exists and is showing voltage to the seats without actually taking the seats out first?
2) I have access to an SDD if the FEM needs setting, but not sure where to look on the SDD if anyone can advise?

Many thanks, Mike

Old 12-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

If you have the switches you should have the heaters already in the seats. Check fuse 47 in the rear fuse box. That one supplies both front seat heaters.
When in SDD I am not sure which symptom selection to make. If you select any symptom and then go to unrelated events it should show the fault.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks but it is not a fault. I am hoping to install heating pads. I have installed the switched myself as I am hoping to get an OEM appearance. What I am trying to establish is whether the wiring already exists between the FEM and the seat - ideally without having to take the seat out first.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:51 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure how it goes these days, and I do know that some looms, or parts of looms, will be missing depending on the trim level. Butin the past you tended to find that to save money, malers would just throw in the top end loom, and and upgrades would be fittied along the production line as and when required/ordered. The first place I would go to, especially if you have retro fitted the switches and it would seem that the plugs where already there for those, and they work, is to get your head under the seat and see if there is a free multi plug, that may indicate that when the cars were getting built, they simply popped in either a heated seat and plugged it in, or a standard and left the plugs unused. if there is, or are free plugs, it should be possible to match the plugs up to missing components as, and I stand to be corrected, no two plugs in a modern car are the same.

The following users liked this post:
troubleshooter (12-31-2020)