XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hello from Arizona, Maybe new XJ8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello from Arizona, Maybe new XJ8 owner

Test drove an '05 XJ8 VP a few days ago and loved it! Seriously thinking of buying it. It had the nav system and just about everything else I would want. Color is white though, which would not be my first choice.

From the limited research I've been doing in the last month or so, I do have some concerns about owning a Jag. I'm worried about the air shocks going out and having to pay $$$ for replacement. If I do decide to go for this vehicle, I will take it to my Jag dealer and have them do a pre-purchase inspection. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me the status of the air system.

Are XJ8s friendly for the home mechanic as far a routine maintenance?
What specific things should I make sure they check?
Anything notorious with the 2005 year?

Thanks for any guidance...

Rufus

Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufus T. Firefly
Test drove an '05 XJ8 VP a few days ago and loved it! Seriously thinking of buying it. It had the nav system and just about everything else I would want. Color is white though, which would not be my first choice.

From the limited research I've been doing in the last month or so, I do have some concerns about owning a Jag. I'm worried about the air shocks going out and having to pay $$$ for replacement. If I do decide to go for this vehicle, I will take it to my Jag dealer and have them do a pre-purchase inspection. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me the status of the air system.

Are XJ8s friendly for the home mechanic as far a routine maintenance?
What specific things should I make sure they check?
Anything notorious with the 2005 year?

Thanks for any guidance...

Rufus

When I got mine which I purchased sight unseen off E-bay. I fell in love with it right away. Flew down to North Carolina and took delivery of it at the Airport. Only difficulty I experienced with it on that trip was finding out how to open the gas cap lid. Glad to say that the car was absolutely as the previous owner had described it. Drove it home to Toronto Canada and the gas mileage I got just blew me away, 34.2 MPG Imp. Never had a car that was so nice to drive, with so much power and a gas mileage that good. Had a smile on my face the whole way. Best and most reliable Jaguar I have every owned and I have owned seventeen, so far.

Yes just like you, I was also concerned about the air ride suspension so I made that allowance in my purchase price and purchased a front replacement set from Arnotts for about $1,500 dollars. Other than that I had the car for about two years without experiencing a single problem with it. Ended up selling it to the friend that came down with me to pick it up in the first place. He loves it too. Sorry to see it go but out future plans did not leave me with enough time to enjoy the car. Having it just sit around the garage would have been such a waste. I should mention that I do all my own work from partial restorations to complete rebuilds and no I am not a qualified mechanic just self taught dabbler..

Last edited by peddlarbob; 04-06-2014 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rufus T. Firefly (04-10-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

In addition to the air bag/shock assemblies the lower control arm bushings can also be an issue. I believe the dealer will tell you that you have to purchase the entire arm, but that is not the case.

There is a great (and I mean great) independent Jag mechanic (Greg) in Scottsdale that will do a pre purchase inspection and shoot you straight. I am not associated with him in any way other than being a customer since 2007, yes I drive my cars from Northen California for service. PM me if you want his contact information.

Last edited by MarcB; 04-06-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with the guy in Scottsdale, Gary or Joe?? I cant remember, he helped me a few times when I had my XKR.
I had an 05 XJ8 and loved it, had a pinched line in the air compressor but other than that is was great.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
I agree with the guy in Scottsdale, Gary or Joe?? I cant remember, he helped me a few times when I had my XKR.
I had an 05 XJ8 and loved it, had a pinched line in the air compressor but other than that is was great.

I am referring to Greg (or Gregory), British Auto Repair.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like you've got the bug. Here's a short list of things to look for:

• Air ride system (shock bags and air compressor are the two chief culprits)

• Leaking transmission lines

• Sagging headliner/sunroof visor

• Worn suspension bushings

• No heat on drivers side / clogged heater core and/or failed auxiliary pump

The rest of the items are just fussy things like hard to change headlamps, but nothing that you cannot overcome. We've only had ours for a little over a year, but what a fantastic car. We finally got rid of my wife's kid-hauler minivan and I'd rather wrench on this beauty any day.

The following 2 users liked this post by SaturnV:
abonano (04-06-2014), Rufus T. Firefly (04-10-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I feeling more excited about pulling the trigger. So it looks like Arnott is the way to go if I end up needing air bag components. Thanks for all the valuable info...!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM

Good deal, and you've found the right forum. Lots of great knowledge from the folks here.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MarcB
I am referring to Greg (or Gregory), British Auto Repair.

Yep, that's him. I forgot his name, I'm old, lol.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Well, it turns out that the one I had my eye on is sold. I waited too long.
Back to search mode...

Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Now you can get the color you want.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

you mentioned liking the satnav. It isn't much good. It runs off a CD in the boot, which is out of date.

btw the air suspension can be repaired, and seems to last longer in warm climates than in cold ones.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got my 05 VDP in January, so far replaced the original battery, cleared up a lot of little things going on, headliner is next, and found out the hard way that mine enjoys sipping on the premium, unlike some folks who have had luck running regular.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

HID headlight light flicker too, They might be on their last running hours.
The SatNav CD can be updated with a newer version of the software. Purchased online.

And dont forget this...
What to look out for buying an X350

Last edited by trosty; 04-08-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got the latest available software and maps disk, published in 2012.

It is out of date and they are not making any newer ones.

For £80 I can get a better windscreen mounted one, and update it weekly over the 'net.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 AM

I'm going to go look at another one tomorrow. An '06 XJ8-L. Black with tan interior. Again, not my fav exterior color, but I at least gotta go look at 'er.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM

So I went and looked at the '06 XJ8-L today. They let me test drive it home for an overnight eval. It seems like a pretty nice car, but there are some issues.

PROS:

It has the NAV/Touchscreen
The Bluetooth system is installed and works with my phone
It has the Jag/Sirius radio installed. It also works,but not sure who's paying for the subscription.
It has the mesh grill (which I like)
It has the power rear window shade (which is cool)

CONS:

Color is BLACK and has numerous small dings. Nothing too serious, but easy to see on the black
VOICE control system not functional
Engine has a rhythmic hum at idle
Engine or drivetrain has a slight but noticable harmonic at freeway speeds
One of the HVAC grills is missing the chrome adjustment tab
No 6 CD cassette in the trunk. (Player is there, just missing cassette)
No folding mirrors
Not sure if parking sensors are working. Looks like they are installed on both bumpers but I didn't hear and warning tones whenever I got close to anything
It has the larger rims/low prof tires, which I think give it a slightly stiffer ride.

Asking price is $10,600. What do you all think??

Rufus

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; 04-10-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you checked it for all the other things mentioned above?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Don't see any leaks. The AC is freezing cold and the heater seems to be working fine. Would have to take it to a Jag shop to determine if any of the other mechanicals are okay.
By the way, on the dealers keyring, in addition to the regular Jag key, there is also a round key (like a Coke machine key). What would that go to?

EDIT: Found the REAR parking sensors to work, but not the front.
Also, I can't tell if the heated seats/steering wheel are working. But then it's 80 degrees here...

...and, no reception on AM radio (FM is fine)

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; 04-10-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 AM

I would add, have you run a carfax, preferably Autocheck on the car ? Does the dealer have any service records ? I will only buy a used Jag I can actually track from new because history does help in what to expect.

FYI, Carfax will give you dealer service info but Autocheck will give you the latest damage and title history. I have used it in the past and had a guy run a Carfax on the same car standing next to me claiming the car is clean when it had just had a accident according to my Autocheck report. I don't work for either but I do own a used car, now classic car dealership and have found Autocheck to have better info.

As far as the issues, I would just have it independently inspected by a Jag dealer (they will be doom and gloom in most cases) or a reputable Jag mechanic. You never mentioned how many miles are on the car.

Quick Reply: Hello from Arizona, Maybe new XJ8 owner