XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hello from Illinois! New Member and Needing Some Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Illinois! New Member and Needing Some Help.

Hi all,

I purchased my first Jaguar (2005 XJ8l with 90k miles) in September and it has been a phenomenal vehicle for my work commutes. I am from Southern Illinois in the US. I am now diving into some maintenance and need some assistance from more experienced owners. Any help would be appreciated!

I recently ran my engine codes and came up with P0300, P0305, P1313, P1316, and P2097. After reading up on these forums prior to becoming a member, I purchased new spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel filter, intake air filter, and 02 sensors. I figured while I was in there, I may as well do some preventative maintenance now that the weather is getting cold. After disassembling the engine bay to install the spark plugs, I noted some concerning leaks and collapsed coolant lines. Can any of you with greater experience than I offer some insight as to, 1. What might be causing these oil leaks? 2. What might be causing the collapsed coolant lines? (I assume the lines are under vacuum and they are just old. Does anyone have experience with this?), 3. What is this electrical connection on the air box? There was nothing attached to it. Is this for the supercharged engines? And 4. Is my approach to the engine codes correct? This procedure has worked on my past vehicles, but this is a Jaguar after all.

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-19-2020, 01:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Call_of_Dobby,

I've copied this question from your Intro thread. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 12-19-2020, 01:43 PM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts
Default Newbie question - TRANSFER

It appears you need to replace the VVT seals on both cam covers. Due to the age and mileage, it may be best to replace the cam cover gaskets and spark plug boss seals. Use a special tool to disconnect the quick release fitting on the fuel line whilst working on removing the LH cam cover.

Replace the water outlet, which includes the thermostat and the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Replace the feed hoses to the EGR valve as they go under the inlet manifold and are prone to failure due to the number of cold to hot to cold cycles they're subjected to. Use coolant conforming to JLR specifications such as Dexcool.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Thank you for your response NBCat!

I looked up the parts you recommended to replace and would like some verification / your personal preference. This is what I found with a quick search for the VVT seals and cam covers gaskets, the water outlet, and the upper and lower radiator hoses. I do not know if I will order from these sellers. Do you have any preferred manufacture for said components? Parts from the Jaguar dealership are extremely expensive, (a new lower water hose from the dealership is US$365 vs a new old stock Jaguar OEM lower water hose is US$65 shipped to my door via eBay), but what is your opinion on OEM Jaguar parts vs the aftermarket parts from places like RockAuto, PartsGeek, or Amazon? Below are a few of the parts and prices I have found for reference.

Thank you for the quick feedback!

Old 12-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

To resolve collapsed coolant hoses replace header tank cap.

Some or all of the oil leaks is due to bad seals on VVT sensor.

The following users liked this post:
dvjag (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 06:45 AM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts

I prefer OEM parts for the cooling system. Note that AJ811793 includes a new thermostat,so no need to order another. I also have the URO seals on the VVT solenoids--ok so far.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Do believe the connector on the air box is for what you thought.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

+1 on using OEM gaskets and seals. I personally didn't have success with aftermarket parts as they seem to fail prematurely.

No need for a thermostat as it's included in the water outlet assembly.

Replace both feed hoses to the EGR valve.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:54 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Do believe the connector on the air box is for what you thought.
Yes, the electrical connection goes to a door flap that opens under full throttle to allow more air into the intake. I have one with the supercharger engine.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
To resolve collapsed coolant hoses replace header tank cap.

Some or all of the oil leaks is due to bad seals on VVT sensor.
+1 on the cap. Collapsed hoses are typical of a bad cap seal or someone who may have taken the cap off for a peek inside and not tighten it back.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:13 AM

Hi all,

Check engine light and restricted performance mode fixed! I had to wait on parts, but it ended up being the ignition coils on cylinders #3 and #5. I went ahead and replaced all 8, as well as spark plugs, given that the car has 93k miles. Most, if not all, of the coils were original and the plugs were very clearly original. Photo below for reference.

I will replace the cap first and see if that seal is my problem. In the meantime, I have OEM valve cover gaskets and VVT seals in the mail. I plan to tackle that project when the weather isn't so poor. EGR hoses will be replaced at that point too. Thank you all for the help! I will continue to update the forum and thread as work continues. I used to own a 2005 Mustang GT and rather enjoyed working on that motor and suspension, (with the aftermarket performance parts available, it was more like adult Legos...), and working on this car brings me back. I appreciate all the help.

​​​​