XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

HELP!! 1 key/fob now locked in trunk - security system has me shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP!! 1 key/fob now locked in trunk - security system has me shutdown

As stupid as I feel having to write this I thought I would turn to my fellow Jag folks to see if anyone can help me with this problem.

Bypass backstory.....I have ended up locking my only key/fob in the trunk with the car locked and security system on. Called locksmith to open the car, which he did, and of course the security system went into overdrive. The doors are unlocked (though they will set off the security system) however, the button on the dash will not unlock the trunk and I don't have the ski pass-through to get to the emergency trunk release from inside.

The locksmith told me I was going to have to have the car towed to Jaguar and have them do it.

I removed the back seats and have found an aluminum plate where there would be a pass-through but am afraid to pop it off because I don't know what's on the other side.

Is there anyway to bypass the security system, pull a fuse/breaker, etc...so that I can get into the trunk through the use of the button on the dash (ie...let the car know it's me so let me in damn it...ha)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

On the previous models, there are threads detailing popping the latch release through the licence plate screw holes. It may be possible to do it on your model.

Or, you can go to the dealer and get a key cut by code. You don't need it programmed right away because you need all keys present to program properly. You just need the physical key to open the trunk. Tell them it must open the trunk so that they don't give you a green headed valet key which will *not* open the trunk. You might as well get a key since you only have one to begin with.

Last edited by plums; 05-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brian M Williams (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If you have a key (not the fob) you can use that to unlock the boot.
The lock is under the lip of the boot to the right o fthe push button

If you dont have a key get a spare on from a locksmith or the dealer
You can get a fob from ebay to go with it an program with SDD

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
.............. Or, you can go to the dealer and get a key cut by code. You don't need it programmed right away because you need all keys present to program properly...............
+1

The sensible and cost effective approach.

If getting a key from the dealer is going to be protracted, it does look possible to trip the Release Link lever (arrowed in red) by drilling a small hole through behind the licence plate as can be done on earlier models.

HELP!!  1 key/fob now locked in trunk - security system has me shutdown-x350-luggage-compartment-lock.jpg

(click on the diagram to enlarge it)

The lock assembly is in the centre. The Parts Catalogue diagram gives a better view of the Release Link (item 1):

HELP!!  1 key/fob now locked in trunk - security system has me shutdown-x350-luggage-compartment-lock-2.jpg

If you do attempt this, note the Shields (items 8 & 9) deliberately designed to make this kind of approach more difficult.

I'm interested to know how you managed to lock the fob in the luggage compartment with the alarm system activated. The UK spec prevents security system activation if any of the body doors etc are open. The US system must be a different spec.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 05-29-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Might I suggest that when you do get the trunk open you make the interior pull release accessible from behind license plate . Easy to do .
I live in Arlington so if you need help making this "mod" be glad to help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Graham Royls:
Brian M Williams (05-29-2013), Lou in Dallas (05-04-2023)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm interested to know how you managed to lock the fob in the luggage compartment with the alarm system activated. The UK spec prevents security system activation if any of the body doors etc are open. The US system must be a different spec.

Graham
scenario to reproduce:

1. lock vehicle
2. unlock boot with key or remote to retrieve luggage, lock away valuables, etc.
3. throw key+fob in trunk
4. shut trunk
5. have an epiphany

at the time of activation, all doors and boot were closed, but opening the trunk after the fact is still possible and leaves the security system armed with the doors locked. The dash trunk release is in an ignition interlock so it won't work without a key. It also passes through the SLC which is currently blocking the signal because it is armed.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Why not just get the locksmith to pick the boot lock?

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
Why not just get the locksmith to pick the boot lock?

Cheers
34by151
I asked him to and he said that a jag lock can't be picked.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 AM

scenario to reproduce:

1. lock vehicle
2. unlock boot with key or remote to retrieve luggage, lock away valuables, etc.
3. throw key+fob in trunk
4. shut trunk
5. have an epiphany

at the time of activation, all doors and boot were closed, but opening the trunk after the fact is still possible and leaves the security system armed with the doors locked. The dash trunk release is in an ignition interlock so it won't work without a key. It also passes through the SLC which is currently blocking the signal because it is armed.
You hit it on the head. Normally when approaching the Jag I unlock all doors then proceed to trunk to (in this case check a fuse). For some strange reason I only unlocked the trunk then forgot I had laid the keys on the spare tire, that's when step 4 and 5 happened.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian M Williams
I asked him to and he said that a jag lock can't be picked.
Not True, try an automotive locksmith
A quick google will find quite a few in your area.

I'm in Australia so I cant send you to my guys.

cheers
34by151

Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

By the time you pay a locksmith to pick the lock, you could have a key cut by code that is available for future use.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian M Williams
You hit it on the head. Normally when approaching the Jag I unlock all doors then proceed to trunk to (in this case check a fuse). For some strange reason I only unlocked the trunk then forgot I had laid the keys on the spare tire, that's when step 4 and 5 happened.
Done it just once, but the separate fob was in my pocket. That's why it's not on the same keychain.

When the hands are full, the mind wants to put the keys in the closest place. I resist the urge and put them in my pocket or on the bench before proceeding.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Brian M Williams (05-29-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-10-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 PM

By the time you pay a locksmith to pick the lock, you could have a key cut by code that is available for future use.
Life is a series of lessons learned, but maybe this thread can help someone in the future in a similar situation so some good could come out of this particular experience.

Went to Jag, they cut a key from code, came home, inserted key in trunk, it unlocked, so I retrieved my original keys and now she is safely tucked back in the garage.

Cost $125 for the spare master key. The only thing I am really kicking myself for is the $75 I gave to the locksmith that set off the alarm (and my nerves in the process)..lol. Lesson learned.

If this happens to you.....save yourself time, money, and headaches....go to the dealer and get a new one cut.

Thanks to everyone that commented though because while I was in freak out mode yesterday, because I knew we were in for TStorms today and she was trapped out in the open, It was nice to have some support and people working the problem.

Cheers!
Brian

Eric-in-Texas (04-02-2022)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Now that you have two physical keys, you can consider returning to the dealer to have them both programmed to the security system. You would then have two keys that will work in all situations. Make sure they have both keys during programming as they have to be programmed at the same time ... even the working one.

Bigger lesson for those with only one key ... swallow hard and do it in advance.

Brian M Williams (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Made the same mistake than Brian but trunk didn't lock. Pressed the button on the trunk itself and it opened up. Otherwise I would be s**t out of lack. My previous car, Ford Tb, had keyless entry. Just punch 5 digit code and you in. Worked all the time. I really miss this
option.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

It might also be a god time to purchase a Mongoose cable so you can do the diagnostics and programming yourself.
I find the key programming just to hard using the manual procedure and use the SDD to program them

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 696 Posts

My Corvette I had a few years back had a key fob that automatically unlocked the doors when it got close to the car. It also had a neat feature that solved for the "I locked my keys in the car" problem. If the key was in the car and car was locked the fob had a motion sensor in it so all I had to do was bounce the car up/down a bit and fob would wake up and unlock doors. Saved me a couple times over the years. Smart idea.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

^^^

.... hmm, some wire and a push button switch mounted in a "secret" place.

Or just two wires that need to be twisted together in an emergency. If it is taped up neatly, anyone would think that it was just a unused part of the factory harness.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

I have a spare fob sealed in a little metal box and cable clipped inside the lower air intake but I must say an access hole behind the rear no plate is a better solution.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

By chance, I sold my old car yesterday and showed the buyer my "cunning plan"

I had a plain copy key (no fob) cut at a high-street lockshop. It will unlock the doors and boot but has no electronics so won't start the car. This one I keep hidden under the bonnet or in a vent where it can be reached, in an emergency, by lying under the car. as the jag is aluminium a magnetic key box won't work.

This key is OK to open the boot if you have locked your real key in there, or if (like me) you keep your real spare key with fob hidden away in a compartment inside the boot.

Incidentally i don't like to keep a real key hidden in a vent. Apart from the risk of it falling off or being found, it may be damaged by water or salt spray.

Quick Reply: HELP!! 1 key/fob now locked in trunk - security system has me shutdown