XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help

Greetings, I need some help. I acquired a 07 xjr but it came with a few issues. It would not crank when I took possession of it. The car was sitting up and begin to leak water. The water leak was fixed before I took possession of it. So I charged the battery full l y but it still would not crank. I finally got it crank and drove it three hours home. On the way home I discovered none of the windows work. They don't go up nor down. Once I got it home I switched it off and tried to crank it, but it would nit crank nor turn over. I noticed that once I switched it off, I heard the climate control servos making noise. So I decided to Google tye location of the fuse and pull it. Upon finding it and removing it the noise stopped. So I went around to driver seat and inserted the key and low and behold the car crank a b d started. I put the fuse back in abs switched it off and tried to crank again but it would not crank. I removed it and it crank right up. Needless to say thefuse stays out until I can figure out what is going on.
The other problem is, none of my windows work. They will not move at all. The sun roof works but none of the windows. My uncle who gave me the car, tried a new driver main switch and driver door module still the windows don't work.
And finally the key fobs worked before I drove it home but now nothing happens when the buttons are pushed. If I lock with the key, the PATS LED flashes abs the security system is armed. Oh how could I forget this, the low beam headlights are the halogen HID but the auto leveling system dies not work and the low beam lights are extremely dim. The fog lights are brighter than the ,ow beam. Any help with any of these issues would greatly be appreciated. One last thing. The car has 81,879 miles. OK I'm done now. Please help. I'd like to get this cat running well.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:38 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Have your battery tested and changed out if even slightly under what it should be. Clean all grounds, particularly the ones behind the headlights.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:22 AM
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

What a great looking car!! Congrats on joining the family.. I 2nd the fresh battery (after testing of course)... Download the wiring diagrams.. I haven't had these issues personally, but I'd search what circuits/modules feed the windows etc.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 673 Posts

The great news is that you drove it for three hours to arive home
A Jagiuar specific reader should be an early investment for you.
Nothing else to offer, but the Best Of Luck .

Old 12-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

An electrical diagram and a code reader, or a shop that knows these cars, is going to be vital. The fact that pulling the fuse allows startup means that with the fuse in, some condition is set that disables the starter. There are so many computers talking to each other in these cars that guessing will get you absolutely nowhere.

Which fuse did you pull? What number in what panel?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:43 AM

Hello Wfooshee, I pulled the fuse from the passenger compartment fuse panel on passenger side footwell/floor board. If I'm not mistaking, it's assigned to fuse number F28. As for a code reader, I have a bi-directional Thinkcar Max. It has Jaguar functions. I have already programed keys with it but if you say I need something else, then by all means I need to get it. Would you be so kind to advise me of what I need if I need further scan tools.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Hello OldKarz, I failed to mention that I took the car to O'Riely Auto Parts and they tested the battery. Now with that, I only asked if my battery was good. They said yes. What specifically should I be asking or what do I need to have the battery checked for. And okay check and clean the grounds behind teh headliights.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:46 AM

Good aftertoon Mpasiuk. Hey I have had the battery tested and I was told it was good. Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction of a wiring diagram?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:49 AM

Thank you for that response, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction of the correct scantool that you are referring too? I have a bi-directional Thinkcar Max scantool right now. I have used it already to program the key transponder and transmitters. But I'would greatly appreciate any further advise I can get on what I need to buy.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:50 AM

Mpasiuk, thank you for the compliments on the car.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jag Dog
Hello Wfooshee, I pulled the fuse from the passenger compartment fuse panel on passenger side footwell/floor board. If I'm not mistaking, it's assigned to fuse number F28. As for a code reader, I have a bi-directional Thinkcar Max. It has Jaguar functions. I have already programed keys with it but if you say I need something else, then by all means I need to get it. Would you be so kind to advise me of what I need if I need further scan tools.
The important thing about the code reader is that it can see diagnostic codes from the various modules. In other words, codes stored by the air suspension module, the climate controls, etc. It may not have much in the way of explaining those codes, but it should certainly be able to read them.

As for fuse F28 in the passenger fuse box, it supplies power to the climate control module, the driver's door module, and the rear climate control module (if equipped.) I can't imagine what there would be in any of those systems that would inhibit starting, though. As far as I know, the only thing that keeps that starter from working is the shifter not being in P or N, unless your car's immobilizer doesn't recognize your key, and that's not a sometimes-pass/ sometimes-fail situation.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by wfooshee
The important thing about the code reader is that it can see diagnostic codes from the various modules. In other words, codes stored by the air suspension module, the climate controls, etc. It may not have much in the way of explaining those codes, but it should certainly be able to read them.

As for fuse F28 in the passenger fuse box, it supplies power to the climate control module, the driver's door module, and the rear climate control module (if equipped.) I can't imagine what there would be in any of those systems that would inhibit starting, though. As far as I know, the only thing that keeps that starter from working is the shifter not being in P or N, unless your car's immobilizer doesn't recognize your key, and that's not a sometimes-pass/ sometimes-fail situation.
Good morning Wfooshee. Thank for that. My scanner does what you stated. So according to your expertise, there is nothing connected to the F28 fuse that would keep the starter from cranking. Got it. So let me ask you this, I've read on this thread about the battery giving these cars issues. Although the car is starting, do you think it could be the issue if the F28 Fuse is pushed in?

Also when I have the battery tested, what should I be concerned with? For example percentage of amps, volts etc? I had it tested, but I was only concerned with the guy saying it was good.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

If the starter is not turning the engine over what is the PATS light on the dash doing?

Old 12-06-2023, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jag Dog
Good morning Wfooshee. Thank for that. My scanner does what you stated. So according to your expertise, there is nothing connected to the F28 fuse that would keep the starter from cranking. Got it. So let me ask you this, I've read on this thread about the battery giving these cars issues. Although the car is starting, do you think it could be the issue if the F28 Fuse is pushed in?

Also when I have the battery tested, what should I be concerned with? For example percentage of amps, volts etc? I had it tested, but I was only concerned with the guy saying it was good.
"Expertise" might be a little generous.

As for battery testing, it needs to be load tested, and I'm not sure I trust most of the Auto-Zone type places when it comes to this. That said, the battery for this car is a BIG battery, and needs to have on the order of 900 cold-cranking amps capacity.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:02 AM

Good morning Wfooshee, I pray all is well with you. I took the jag to my classmate who is an mechanic to have front end work done and I explained to him what was going on with the car not starting as well as what you stated about fuse F28 and the battery. He stated that once he has done the front end work, he will also load test the battery for me. I told him if it need a new battery to go on and put one in there. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:06 AM

clubairth1, good morning. As for what the PATS light is doing on the dash while I turn the key and the car doesn't start, I will have to let you know if it continues once I get the car back. As I shared with Wfooshee, the car is at my buddies shop now and I explained everything to him. If it needs a new battery he is going to put the fuse in and try to crank to see if the battery was my issue. If it's not the issue, I'll let everyone know what took place and where we are with that issue. Thank you all for your awesome input thus far. I have not been a member long but I can already see that this forum is made up of some awesome people. From where I'm sitting I can see that together on this forum, we can do more together than any of us could ever do alone. Big Thanks to you all for accepting this ole country boy.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:20 PM

Good evening, @ Clubairth1, I hope all is well. So I'm just getting back to you on what you asked. The PATS light was not doing anything when I try to crank it. So I tried it a few more times and then it was flashing quickly while I try to crank it. @ Wfooshee, Also I checked the codes for climate control module and it said it had a ground to short somewhere. So I got under the car and found the a/c compressor. I inspected the connector and pulled the harness away from the compressor a bit. I also tried to inspect the harness as best I could. After this I put the fuse back in and wouldn't you know it, the car crank. (smiling) That made me happy to say the least.

So if there is anything further that anyone suggest that I do, please let me know. Oh, my buddy said the battery tested good on the load test. So it appears I got one thing I can cross off the list. So I noticed that today when I put the key in the driver door to disarm the alarm and unlock the door, the alarm sounded off as if I was breaking in, but once I put the key in the ignition, it stopped. This has not done this before. With this, the key fob only worked the first day I got the car which was bout three weeks ago. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Put the key in and turn it so the car is on but not cranking. Not turning the starter! The PATS lights should come on then go out after a few seconds. You mention flashing and that's the PATS system trying to give you the error codes.

Attached is PATS document that might help? This can keep the car from cranking.

Attached Files