XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help identifying a leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying a leak

I have an 2004 XJ6 SE.

A couple of times when I've pulled up after a drive then moved the car again shortly after, I've noticed a small wet patch and some drips following the movement of the car.

It's approximately under the transmission, slightly to the passenger side - I think.

At first I though a coolant leak but I'm not losing any coolant.

It isn't oil or transmission fluid, it appears to be just water, not smell or colour that I can see.

I mentioned it to my mechanic over the phone and he thought it's more likely just AC condensation.

I had been running the car with AC on so relaxed a little and figured it was nothing important.

However, I've just noticed it again today.

This time the car had been sat for 24 hour and the last time I drove the car the AC had been switched off.

When I reversed out of my drive which is a slight uphill angle, I noticed the car left a few drips and splashes along the reversing line. There was nothing underneath where the car had been sat.

Again it appears to be just water, not oil, transmission fluid or coloured coolant.

I'm just a bit puzzled now as the AC had been off and the car had been sat.

Am I being over cautious? Is it most likely the AC even though the car has been sat and used without AC on?

I'm not getting any error messages.

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

If it is water then it is likely from the air conditioning.

The condensation could be collecting on the undershield and dripping off when you drive even after the air is switched off.

If you have the temp set lower than ambient and if you have not switched off climate control the air conditioning will operate.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Mine usually dripped on both sides. Until after i started turning the air off a couple miles B4 i get home, letting the outside air cycle a bit as to warm things back up. Results are a lot smaller & fewer puddles of water under the car.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice Wingrider. I've been in the habit of just leaving the AC on no matter what.

I feel confident I can ignore these drips now. I will no doubt still stick my finger in the puddle once in a while to check it's just plain old water.

Thanks guys