XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help! Lighting/electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Lighting/electrical question

I gave my 176,000 mile 2004 XJ8 to my long time employee, and the car is now having electrical issues primarily related to her lights. Here is an email she sent me:

The headlights only work on highbeam. The right turn signal doesn't work either. The brake light on the dash is on. The right blinker would not stop blinking for over 3 weeks straight, just stopped this Friday. Two weeks ago I had Ashley's best friend Brandi's father (an ex-mechanic) take out the front and back turn signal lights on the right. The front did not work anyway, but the back and side lights would blink constantly. I had him put the back ones back in and it started working again, but not the front.

Any advice on this would help.....

Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I would suggest looking at the earthing points just behind the headlamp units, the steel bolts can corrode where they are fitted to the alumium , just look for several wires with eye connectors fixed to the bodywork, I had a problem several years ago on my 2003 X350 and it was one of the fittings broken, I managed to re-route the wires and fit them to another local nut and bolt nearby, mine was a little behind the offside ( a UK car ) headlamp.
Best of luck.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Sounds to me like a light switch / stalk has failed.

Take care,

George

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default replace the blinker switch

For the past few months each time I put my left blinker on, the headlights would also come on. Lately, the high beam has not been working and I had to jiggle the blinker switch to get the headlights to go off after turning the car off. One time the lights stayed on and would flicker even after the key was out of the ignition.

Replaced the blinker switch. All is well.
Took the old switch apart and found one of the very small wires inside had frayed and broken from the continuous flexing...

To replace the blinker. Remove the two screws holding the valance below the wheel. No need to remove the steering wheel. Just the valance right under the wheel. Gently pull up on the top valance plastic and you can pull the blinker out. With the new one in your hand you will see the tabs you need to depress...

One more thing!!! Make sure you get the right part on order. Nalley Jaquar has it. But we got the wrong part last time as his parts diagram was for right hand drive. Ask for Steve and tell him the message board sent you...

Tom

Last edited by panels; 04-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, where do I get in touch with Nalley? Here in the States?

Originally Posted by panels
For the past few months each time I put my left blinker on, the headlights would also come on. Lately, the high beam has not been working and I had to jiggle the blinker switch to get the headlights to go off after turning the car off. One time the lights stayed on and would flicker even after the key was out of the ignition.

Replaced the blinker switch. All is well.
Took the old switch apart and found one of the very small wires inside had frayed and broken from the continuous flexing...

To replace the blinker. Remove the two screws holding the valance below the wheel. No need to remove the steering wheel. Just the valance right under the wheel. Gently pull up on the top valance plastic and you can pull the blinker out. With the new one in your hand you will see the tabs you need to depress...

One more thing!!! Make sure you get the right part on order. Nalley Jaquar has it. But we got the wrong part last time as his parts diagram was for right hand drive. Ask for Steve and tell him the message board sent you...

Tom