XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help me decide on Color and Options please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help me decide on Color and Options please

The final change date for my XJL Supersport order is Friday 8/27, and I'm really torn. My order now is for:

Ultimate Black Exterior
Jet interior with parchment headliner
Carbon Fiber trim

I think the only thing I'm certain about is the Jet Interior. For the exterior, I either want Ultimate Black or Ebony, and I do not care about which one holds up better as far as swirl marks or scratches go...just trying to figure which one will look best when the car is flawless. On the interior, while I know I want Jet leather, I can't decide if the black or parchment headliner is the right way to go. Part of me thinks that the black headliner would look very good, and the other part thinks that triple black might be a tad dark. The parchment might open up the interior space, and break up the black a little. Downside...might be too much of a contrast. And finally, the Carbon Fiber trim is really rich and deep on this car...very different from the CF used on the XF. It's relatively close to what they use on a 2010 MB S65 AMG if you've seen that. But this is a really classy car, and I don't want to give up the elegance of it completely, yet still want it to be sporty. It's difficult because you can't see the different options before you build it...the online configurator is awful on the Jaguar website, and there are very few pics to be found of the options.

So, I'm asking for your opinions/input on what you think is the best combo and why.

Exterior color: Ultimate Black or Ebony
Interior: Jet with black headliner or Jet with parchment headliner
Trim: Carbon Fiber or Piano Black (I don't really like the other wood colors...not sporty enough for me), but maybe you can convince me otherwise.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul

Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I struggled with this as well. Definitely wanted black and am not a big fan of metallic black, so I was going with Ebony. I also considered Jet interior, but was not real crazy about the Ivory piping/stitching--thought it was a little too stylized and not as masculine (I think you can get Jet piping/stitching on the Supersport, but it was not available on the Supercharged). The only other interior color I liked was London Tan because I wanted a contrasting color to the exterior, but was not sure how "orangy" it would be since there were no actual samples available, only pictures in the brochure and on the website. I also wanted the standard wheelbase supercharged--I talked to all 3 dealers in Houston and the only one that had a car ordered (I did not want to wait to special order one) that came close was an Ultimate Black with London Tan, Jet piping/stitching, and Parchment headliner (I thought the black headliner would make the car too dark inside), so I took the car.

I am very pleased with the Ultimate Black--it is very sparkly out in the sun, but you can't even tell it's metallic when inside. Definitely keeps the swirl marks from showing. The London Tan is a little more "orangy" than I thought it would be, but it is a very striking contrast to the black exterior and the black piping/stitching and I have gotten numerous compliments on it. The only problem with the Parchment headliner is that the light color comes down the inside of the "A" and "B" pillars--I wish it stopped at the roof line and was black on the pillars.

It also came with the Burled Walnut trim and steering wheel--I would have preferred the leather steering wheel because the wood gets so darn hot out in the sun, but the car is almost always under cover and I do like the look. I drove a demo that had the carbon fiber and it is very nice--not as heavily patterned as some carbon fiber is. Personally, I just like the opulance of wood.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'll take any color please (except zircon blue...if they're still painting cars that color)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I was thinking of buying an XF last year and inspected all the color options .
I said I would pick up Ultimate Black no other options but once I perused at the color sheet and color catalog and upon the dealer's advice I said Ebony was a better looking ,ultimate seemed too much metallic color to my taste and slightly more expensive than ebony

Interior : Black , I had a suede interior in my Jag and even though it may look darkish I am very pleased with that and what's more I don't think it's gloomy .
Lighter color headlinings will eventually get dirty and if you smoke you can see it will be sooner

Trim :

Based on kid's two choices I would pick up Piano Black ,I was in an XF with piano black and it verily looked nice and shiny , classy . Carbon fiber is very supersports car trim .
All triple black (including your wood trim as black ) may become very dark though .However ,whatever you decide just stick to black leather trim

(My trim choices are always burl walnut )

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote...you clearly like black so commit to it fully and go with ebony exterior, jet interior, black headliner, and piano black trim. In my opinion this is the classiest combination that that exudes elegance.

Enjoy

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM

For what it's worth, my dealer told me that they always order their high end spec cars with metallic paint, black or otherwise, because it is better for resale.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to those who chimed in with your opinions. I was finally able to visit a dealer that had both the Ultimate Black and Ebony color XJ's on the lot, and I was blown away with the UB. So much better than MB's Obsidion or BMW's Black Sapphire. So, final decision was:

Ultimate Black
Jet leather
Parchment Headliner
Figured Ebony w/ Inlay Veneer
Illumiated door sills
Exhaust tips
Leather steering wheel

She arrives 11/9, and hopefully I'll be pleased with the final combination. I didn't think I'd care for the wood, but I was able to see it in person, and it really warms up the interior space. I'll post pics when I have her for those who are interested.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I did the same exact thing--looked at a couple of XF's side by side outside that the dealer had in Ebony and Ultimate Black and concluded that the metallic was exceptional.

Your final choice sounds great. I think you're making the right decision going with the Parchment headliner--the Maserati QP I traded in on the XJ was dark gray metallic with black interior and a black headliner and it was very dark inside.

Personally, I think that carbon fiber belongs on sports cars and motorcycles, not luxury cars.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The best colour combo - and the one's which show the owner has the most taste - are dark green and tan interior.

But that's just my opinion!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is Jet interior with the ivory piping. I also have the carbon trim option and absolutely love it. While I agree carbon goes with sports cars, it also is a great way to "sport" up a luxury sedan. But, I'm also 33 so I guess some of you "old-farts" probably want to stick with the wood trim (* No offense intended on the old-farts comment, I feel like one)

Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Hunter, I'd love to see some interior pics if you have any. It's very difficult to get a good feel for how the CF looks from the jag website. I'm 39 btw, so I can appreciate wanting to keep a more youthful and sporty appearance. For me it ultimately came down to the "feel" of the interior, and I felt like the wood gave it a warmer, more inviting appearance. All in the eye of the beholder, of course. My M5 had the titanium trim, and I loved it. My S55 had the wood, and I loathed it. But Jaguar seems to know how to do wood in a way that I've only seen Bentley or Rolls accomplish.

Post some pics if you have a chance please.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree. I was looking at the Panamera and had the yachting trim picked out. I am very particular about carbon trim. I am not a fan of the weave that Ferrari uses, I love the trim Porsche and Jag are using. Audi does a nice Carbon Fiber as well. I have snapped one picture of the side panel with the B&W speaker. I can post that if I can figure out how the hell I post pictures. Do I have to host them on a photo sharing website?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Click on "Go Advanced" in the reply buttons below, and click on "manage attachments" towards the bottom of the advanced screen that pops up.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

hunter, you need a couple more posts to allow full access to the forum features, including uploading attachments.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM

I'll post it if you want to send me a PM with your personal email.