XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help me select a car

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Help me select a car

Hello Jag people,

Just joined the forum because I'm thinking about getting back into a JAG after a 15 year absence. I like the XJ8 sedans and I can afford about $30K so I figure an 06 or 07 low milage might be doable after the 1st of the year.

Any tips on the pitfalls of selection and purchase of these models would be helpfull. Some questions that come to mind are:

1. I like the short body. Any risk there and are they hard to find?

2. Any serious reliability areas I need to pay close attention to?

3. Are the VDP cars worth the extra money?

4. I want as much hi tech stuff as possable in the car (blue tooth, nav pkg., etc.) Anything to watch out for here?

5. Anything in particular I should be sure to get?

The answers to these questions and any general observations will be most usefull and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome! Nice to see a fellow UNC fan in FL. Im a Gator by degree but most of my family is from NC and my older brother graduated from Kenan Flagler at UNC-Chapel Hill

You can definitely get a GREAT 06 right now for less then $30k. here are your questions itemized out:

1. No risk in the short body, they are actually less expensive. I prefer the SWB myself.
2. Just search and read around. The XJs are very reliable and by 06 should be about as perfect as possible. Airbag suspension is the only common worry in them with maintnance and careful isnpection you should be trouble free though.
3. VDPs usually go for more because it starts at the source, dealers pay for them. However an XJ8L with the right options is pretty much the same exact thing as the VDP and can be had for less $$$ usually. VDPs are all LWB in 06 and 07.
4. Bluetooth is standard on 06 and up. Navigation is in about half of the cars, I wouldnt buy one without it, however you can get some killer deals on cars without it. Id also try for the heated seats.
5. Since Xenons are also standard in 2006 id say the 1 must have option at least if it were me would be navigation and probably heated seats. You can always change the wheels if you dont care for the 18s.

Im in the car business besides being a Jaguar owner myself so let me know if I can help you anymore!

-Erik

Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

BMW 745i- Erik

Thank you, thank you. Just the kind of insite I was after. I'm from Hickory and Marion, both many Winters ago, but heritage and culture still with me even after the 50 plus years I've been away.

Thanks again. Keep on keeping on.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Go for the Super V8 even if it has to be a year older. You get best of everything on that model; the supercharger, nice brakes, chrome, nicer interior...

If you want the elegance, I think the VDP is worth the cost (which isn't much) over the base.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
BMW 745i- Erik

Thank you, thank you. Just the kind of insite I was after. I'm from Hickory and Marion, both many Winters ago, but heritage and culture still with me even after the 50 plus years I've been away.

Thanks again. Keep on keeping on.

Glad I could help! Private Message me for my phone number when you get ready to get one and Ill help you out. I see youre from the Orlando area so we arent far off!

-Erik

Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I will have to disagree on the navigation issue. I have an 01 with navigation and you can't get updates anymore, so it is virtually useless now. I just use it for a clock!! An aftermarket GPS is the way to go. I can update mine on the internet anytime and can move it from car to car. I can pre-program it at home days in advance, so when I start a trip, all I do is start it up. Mobile GPS units have many more features. As technology advances, I have the ability to purchase a new one and not be left behind in a built-in GPS. If you are buying a car new, you will pay through the *** for navigation. Will not have another car with built in nav again!!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you consider an R series. The supercharged engine changes the car. This car is a rocket! In addition, almost all R models come with navigation, heated seats and steering wheel,20 inch wheels, upgraded audio, large brembo brakes, etc.

These cars depreciate quickly, so the R models are not much more than the standard models when purchased used.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

Thank you gentleman all. You have been most helpfull.

Turning now to where one finds suitable cars at fair mkt. prices, it appears to me that EBay is the best bet. Even the dealers seem to be a little more realistic. Is that an accurate observation? If not where else should I be looking?

Additionally, there seems to be breed of cat on EBay I loosely define as "wholesalers direct". These folks (I gather) buy cars coming off lease at wholesalers direct auctions and sell them on EBay to the public at what appear to be more reasonable prices reletive to regular car dealers. Do any of you have experience with these companies and care to comment?

Then there are the Jag dealers who make the whole process so so easy, know the product well and charge prices having no relationship to Bluebook. If me wife weren't overseeing the process I would be a sitting duck.

Lastly on EBay are private sellers, who seem to offer cars at blue book prices , more or less, but with lots of complecations reletive to clear title, product knowlwdge,car history,etc. In fact I haven't talked to one private seller yet who gave me a comfortable feeling. Albeit, there have been only 3 so far. Is this an anomaly or should I keep on pinging in this area?

In thr meantime I will keep on keeping on.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Not only do I have experience dealing with the wholesale type of dealers, this is the area of the car business Im involved in. Depending on their focus they will have quality equal to or better then most dealers pre-owned cars at prices that are sig. cheaper.

I wouldnt buy a car from a franchise dealer most of the time. They have too much overhead, politics in the deal making process, pricing concerns compared to new inventory etc. Now and then you can still get a good fair price from one though.

Id be open to private sellers although quality of customer service varies widely. Some can be very professional and easy to deal with and others can be horrible and that can be the sole reason their car does or does not sell. Lots of them market the car poorly, take long amounts of time to return phone calls, dont make the car presentable etc.

Hope this offers some more help for you! -Erik

Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

I found my car on autotrader.com and had a friend that owns a used car dealership call them to work out a wholesale deal. The dealership that had my car marked it down like 3K I think...

Was a good deal. The dealership did not have to worry about warranty on the car and I bought an extended when I took the car.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with a Super V8. If you're anything like me, you'll always want something better than what you have. I thought my '05 VDP was everything I would want. Perfect color, perfect wheels, lots of power, rear entertainment, all the options. Now I want the Super V8 just because I'm a guy and you can never have too much power or bragging rights. At least I would get a VDP because it seems that a lot that have a base XJ8 keep wanting to upgrade options.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

KRU

You make a lot of sense to me and I have come to a similar conclusion except I prefer the short body XJ8. Therefore the XJR is looking mighty good. They are scarce but out there.
I,m no spring chicken but technical sophistication and do-dads still interest me too.

Thanks for the input,

Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Is there that much of a difference between wheelbases? Why don't you like the longer wheelbase? I can't tell them apart...

Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Banned

Mosesbotbol,

I like the XJ8Ls OK, it's just that the shorter body XJ8s seem a little better proportioned. There are 5 inches added to the rear door and some similar amount to the wheel base. The long bodies remind me of late 90s Buick LaSabers, not the best association I can think of.
Also, I'm a guy who started out with a couple of Series 1 sedans (XJ6 and XJ12) and an XJ6 coup, the 2 door version of the XJ6. It's kind of what the eye and brain got used to many Winters ago. Sure wish I had a few of those Jags back. Like a lot of folks I get the urge to move on after 5 or so years.
Anyway, my objection to XJLs is not serious enough to prevent me from owning one, they are all perfectly beautifull. And, of course, I'm finding that my 1st choice XJRs are hard to come by at a reasonable price. Supply and demand conspire against me.

Regards,

Old 09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Hello Jag people,

Just joined the forum because I'm thinking about getting back into a JAG after a 15 year absence. I like the XJ8 sedans and I can afford about $30K so I figure an 06 or 07 low milage might be doable after the 1st of the year.

Any tips on the pitfalls of selection and purchase of these models would be helpfull. Some questions that come to mind are:

1. I like the short body. Any risk there and are they hard to find?

2. Any serious reliability areas I need to pay close attention to?

3. Are the VDP cars worth the extra money?

4. I want as much hi tech stuff as possable in the car (blue tooth, nav pkg., etc.) Anything to watch out for here?

5. Anything in particular I should be sure to get?

The answers to these questions and any general observations will be most usefull and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
1. All 2004 models were short body(even the vdp), all 2005's were long body. 2006 was when they let the customer decide between the two

2. others know better than me.

3. if you like the picnic tables and standard premium sound, the 04 VDP is the only short body VDp available.

4. Dunno. others know better, i actually would like a VDP/super v8 without navi/dvd/etc.

5. IDK

Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

1. All 2004 models were short body(even the vdp), all 2005's were long body. 2006 was when they let the customer decide between the two
I will have to disagree with that statement. In 2005 all models and both lengths were available.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Ladies and Gentelmen,

Thanks to your input, me talking to dealers and a lot of internet rearch, I have decided to go for a 2006 XJR with Navigation. After a few 100 mile trips to see unsuitable cars I've determined to work through one of the wholesale buyer outfits advertised online. OMG I hope I"m doing the right thing. The problem has been that few 06s are for sale by owners. Mostly they are cars coming off lease. The majority of 06 XJRs I've found are in the hands of dealers and well -- dealers are dealers.

Any input that you guys can give me on Wholesale companies that opperate in FLA would be much appreciated. There is very little info on line to seperate the out the best.

My specs are 2006 XJR with Nav, 30K miles or less and $30K total expendature. I think that's doable.

I'll keep you posted and do foward your take on wholesellers.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Dick, PM replied to. Sorry, i didnt get back with you sooner I was out of town! -Erik

Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Jag People,

Further to my decission to locate a suitable used XJR through a Wholesaler company. These folks advertise that they will act as your agent and buy a car to your specifications at auction for a set fee plus misc charges such as inspection fees, auction fees and shipping charges.

Sounds good thinks I. So I contact the first one closest to me. Nice folks and they send me the forms and commit to supplying a list of available cars within 24 hrs for this next big auction in Texas, forthwith. Two days later I call them to find out where's the list? Oops they say, we'll get right on it. 3 hrs later I get a long winded email saying:

1. the auction has not gotten out any info on my specified car but enclosed is info on what similar cars have sold for at recent past auctions at other locations.

2. hurry up and send the money.

3. we can't be doing dis all day, so call every 3 days for auction info updates, no emails please, send money.

So thinks I, it's time to go to plan B. Well at least figure out what plan B is anyway, i.e. find another wholesaler, keep working with these pukes or back to the internet.

Do contact me if you've got a line on a top notch wholesaler cause these guys don't make me feel so good.

Last edited by user 2029223; 10-02-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Go with your instincts! Leave them in your dust running away!!

Quick Reply: Help me select a car