XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help Needed Designig Fuel Rail Connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 03:40 PM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Help Needed Designig Fuel Rail Connector

Help Needed Designing Fuel Rail Connector

In my enthusiasm to replace all hoses, I removed the fuel rail connector, effectively destroying it.

This is how I plan to replace it. I really don’t know my * from 1st base about any of this; so your help is greatly appreciated. If you know a better material or method, please share it.

In the picture is the semi-rigid, Multi-layer, OEM hose. It has a thin lining of nylon or some other plastic-like material. It fits nicely onto the sides of the supercharger front support. You can see the valley hose runs underneath the support.

I plan to use: (https://ttmotorcar.com/collections/f...-hose-blue-1ft)

TT Racing: 8MM ID Nylon Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Fuel Hose Blue (too bad it won’t be visible.)

Ideal for racing cars, with E85 fuel lines, high-pressure fuel lines, and automotive applications, this NYLON STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED FUEL HOSE has a stainless steel braid for outstanding durability and a Nylon braid outside for maximum protection.

Product Specs:
  • Suitable for gasoline and E85 mixture
  • Special outside finishing of Nylon with ultimate corrosion resistance
  • Outer Diameter (OD): 11.80 mm
  • Internal Dia (ID): 8mm
  • Length: 1ft (I need 2’. They have it in too long packages also.)
  • Pressure rating: 1000 PSI Working, 5000 Burst PSI
  • Temperature rating: -100°F to 450°F
  • Lightweight and easy to install
  • High bending capacity to mold for enclosed space
Will double-check, but I believe this hose will fasten to the existing barbed nipples on the rails. I will follow Meirion’s suggestion and put a clip at the top of each nipple since it will accommodate one. I plan to zip-tie to the SC support.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:51 PM
Default Found The Parts

Found a hose that likely exceeds pressure, temp specs; has a similar Nylon liner. The difficult part was finding something that pushes on. It is not as rigid as the original, but I don't think that will make any difference the way I am running it. The red jacket is a heat shield. Am running it under the snout of the SC. Shorter distance &, I think, a better installation than the original. We'll see.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

No help but right under that hose is a good picture of the under SC hose getting ready to fail! You can see the rubber is already swollen.
I hope you plan to replace that and there is now an improved one piece design that eliminates the metal band and the two different hose sizes.

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:47 PM

Thanks, Clubairth. You make me laugh because I thought the whole world had heard me conducting a symphony of hose harmonies under the hood of my R!. Replacing all the hoses I can get my hands on! In my enthusiasm, I ripped the rail connector off! Hence, the need for...

I would say that a goodly number of the hoses I'm replacing are ready to let go.

Thanks for the chuckle & best regards,

Steve S.

Old 07-19-2024, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Hey I have been watching your work and it's coming along great!

Just could not help myself as you know that under SC hose is a real weak point on the 4.2L SC engine. It's a shame too because the hose is only about $20-$30 but all the labor and gaskets makes it a difficult and somewhat expensive repair.

Is that hose still available from Jaguar? It's not a common failure point?
Looking in JPART it does not show that hose to a separate part and is included with the entire fuel rail?

So your hose replacement is probably the better way to repair this.

04Xjrsteve (07-20-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 10:46 AM

Thanks to good folks like you, Clubairth, I am able to move forward. I've really learned a lot; however, I started pretty close to zero.

The infamous valley hose is available, I have been buying from Harper & a young fellow named Carl is just wonderful there. I will do a shoutout more properly when I get caught up.

The fuel rail connector was made as a single part which includes the SS rails. This part is no longer offered by Jag. There are some used ones available on eBay.

Have a great weekend!

Steve S.

Old 07-20-2024, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Here is the better aftermarket version. It eliminates the metal band where the leak always occurs.

But Jaguar is still selling the old failure prone version so try to get the better one. URO makes it as do others.

04Xjrsteve (07-20-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 10:12 AM

There are a lot of really cool, smart and helpful people (like you fellows!) making hoses for planes, trains & automobiles. I found several companies making them for race cars to be most helpful. Several tech support people actually had experience doing exactly what I was attempting!

Any of you following my posts over the years know that I know little more than **** from Shinola about auto mechanics and the little I do, I learned right here on this forum. This is a round about way of saying that my fuel rail connector is a trial & not a recommendation. If you find yourself wanting to do this, I know you will seek wiser counsel.

As I said, in my enthusiasm to replace every hose, I removed the connector part of the fuel rail part. (DON"T DO THIS!)

I thought that because of the volume of work I was engaged at the time, that I would fabricate something & replace the Fuel Rails with the Connector when I had to do something with the injectors... Hopefully, never; but it is inevitable.

When I saw that I could run the hose over the snout of the supercharger, I decided to do so for 2 reasons: !. Easy to inspect the hose. 2. Much easier to replace if necessary.

In addition to worm drive clamps on each end, I used:
Amazon Amazon

https://www.redhorseperformance.com/...ush-lock-hose/

So far the pictured connector has worked for 2 hours of driving & it works!

Thermite (08-05-2024)