XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help needed, Subwoofer installation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help needed, Subwoofer installation.

When I bought my Jag in 2013, I was a bit disappointed with the standard sound system fitted (not the upgraded Alpine setup). Having "made do" with replacing the door speakers with Focal 2 way components (a great improvement, by the way) its time to get a bit more bottom end. I've recently purchased a 5 channel aftermarket amp and a pair of Kicker 6 1/2" subs to get more of the "Cathedral on Wheels" sound I'm after. Installation planning is well under way and I really want to keep the car with the Factory Look.

Does anyone know where I could find (or help me to get) a factory subwoofer mesh grille for a Champagne interior? I've not been able to find one in New Zealand and the only way to get one on Ebay seems to be buying a complete parcel shelf (rather expensive and none listed at the moment).

If anyone has done a similar installation (or replaced their factory subs), is it necessary to make a slimline enclosure to fit under the parcel shelf, or do the Kicker 6 1/2" subs handle a free-air (factory replacement) installation?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a "sand" color parcel shelf I just bought for parts for my power sun shade. Color is close to champagne I believe. has the sub woofer grill, but I dont know what shipping would be to New Zealand. PM me if you are interested.

The following users liked this post:
Davidrnz (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blairware
I have a "sand" color parcel shelf I just bought for parts for my power sun shade. Color is close to champagne I believe. has the sub woofer grill, but I dont know what shipping would be to New Zealand. PM me if you are interested.
Thank you for your response to my message about my search for a Subwoofer Grille. Yes, I am interested. My seats are "Champagne", but I'm not sure what the colour of the parcel shelf is called, it might very well be "sand"? I've not seen how the grille attaches (clips from underneath?), but I'm sure I could work it out. Shipping costs for the grille alone shouldn't be as costly as trying to get a complete parcel shelf.

PM Sent

Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 PM

Reply sent. I included some photos to hopefully assist in your planning as well.

Davidrnz (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Please don't forget to let us know how you ended up connecting the subs

My car doesn't have the premium sound so no main amp and when I started looking at fitting the subs and how to connect the drive for them I gave up

That doesn't mean I and others are not curious though

It's just that with the standard system the normal speakers are a bit boomy in the bass department which meant that I would have had to put some bass blockers on them and then set the subs up to fill in the blank spots left by the bass blockers

To much work if you want to look at a serious set-up check out H2O boys set-up its the best I have seen in a late model Jaguar

Davidrnz (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Adding a digital sound processor just before your amp(s) could make all the difference in the world. And, I suspect for around $250, that's all you would need.

Davidrnz (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Update time:

The amp I bought is a JVC KS-AX3205D 5 Channel Amp. It can take 4 speaker level inputs and output to 5 channels, including Subwoofer. This was the best "bang for the bucks" Amp I could find which would fit in the factory location behind the boot liner. Making mounting brackets for it will be a bit of fun...

My experience with the overall sound quality from the Focal Polyglass Speakers suggests I might get away with just the basic amplifier adjustments in the meantime. However, I am seriously considering adding something like the Audison Bit Ten Processor in the future. Apart from additional system tuning, one feature I like the look of is an auxiliary input, particularly as the Jag Audio Connectivity Module appears to be pure unobtanium. Are there other similar processors worth considering?

Still not sure if I need to fabricate an enclosure for the Subs (2 x Kicker CompVT 08CVT652 6.5"). Anyone got any advice or do I just "suck it and see"?

The bits and pieces are coming together reasonably well, so I hope to start the install soon. I will try to remember to take pictures and post them as I go, it might help someone else out with a similar project.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Another way to go about it is to retrofit the factory Alpine amp, I did this with my X-Type, it is much simpler with the X350 since the harness is already there in the car "pre-wired" the advantage of this is that you get the DSP controls via the touchscreen. If you wanted to add a big amp to run the subs you could take the speaker level outputs into it. You also get a sub volume control via the touchscreen.

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/

Davidrnz (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Another way to go about it is to retrofit the factory Alpine amp, I did this with my X-Type, it is much simpler with the X350 since the harness is already there in the car "pre-wired" the advantage of this is that you get the DSP controls via the touchscreen. If you wanted to add a big amp to run the subs you could take the speaker level outputs into it. You also get a sub volume control via the touchscreen.

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/
Yes, I agree that running the factory Alpine Amp has its attractions, so I've just had another look behind the boot linings and in the spare wheel bay. I can't find any connectors or looms which look like a factory amp pre-wiring in my car.

I did find a couple of unused connectors which have me scratching my head though: a Green and a Blue connector, both 16 pin, which don't seem to correspond to anything in the Jaguar Electrical Guide (2006). My car is ex-Japan and I read somewhere it was pre-wired for telephone (not fitted) but these connectors and the associated wires don't seem right for that? Maybe they are just a specific Japanese market thing?

As an aside, the Car Is labeled as an "Executive", but the VIN is "Sovereign". It appears that in Japan the 4.2 litre "Executive" was a basic "Sovereign" without some of the goodies fitted (no Alpine audio, Phone, rear blinds, etc.). The ex-Japanese "Sovereigns" I've seen are essentially short wheelbase Super V8s!

I think it'll be "Plan A" with the Amp installation: fitting a Jaguar to ISO adaptor behind the head unit and running speaker wires to and from this to the amp in the boot. Driver's seat adjustment of the Sub levels (and Aux input) is another good reason to add the Audison Bit Ten at a later date.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:49 AM
Default Update:

Many thanks to Blairware (John Blair) for his help with the subwoofer grille, the project would have stalled without it.

I've ended up buying an Audison Bit Ten processor earlier than I'd planned, just so I could run all the cables at the same time. Makes me wonder which media player to add? Having installed a Navtool + reversing camera already, video is an easy option (albeit not a particularly useful one when driving....)

Next phase: stop stalling and start INstalling!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Davidrnz
Many thanks to Blairware (John Blair) for his help with the subwoofer grille, the project would have stalled without it.

I've ended up buying an Audison Bit Ten processor earlier than I'd planned, just so I could run all the cables at the same time. Makes me wonder which media player to add? Having installed a Navtool + reversing camera already, video is an easy option (albeit not a particularly useful one when driving....)

Next phase: stop stalling and start INstalling!
Glad I could be a help to you on this; a project after my own heart. It would be great if you capture a few pics either along the way or of the finished project. It worked out well that I just happened to have the bit that you needed. Another good outcome from this forum, which is the best I have experienced over the last decade or so. Some really great folks on here. Good luck when you start "digging in" to this project.