XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

HELP!...Stereo upgrade? 2004xjr

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts
Default HELP!...Stereo upgrade? 2004xjr

Hi,

Not into hacking up a good sounding stereo. That being said I could not believe my stereo wont recognize mp3 files. Is there perhaps a later model xjr radio that I can swap mine out for? It has the alpine stereo non GPS/DVD

If not ill just have to rewrite my collection

Many thanks

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 13,379 Likes on 6,595 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
...I could not believe my stereo wont recognize mp3 files. Is there perhaps a later model xjr radio that I can swap mine out for?

Hi XxSlowpokexX,

I'll be curious to hear the responses to your question too. I can't speak for Jaguar, but I believe for BMWs 2005 was the first year their CD players would read mp3 files. Our '04 325i will not.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

Not into hacking up a good sounding stereo. That being said I could not believe my stereo wont recognize mp3 files. Is there perhaps a later model xjr radio that I can swap mine out for? It has the alpine stereo non GPS/DVD

If not ill just have to rewrite my collection

Many thanks
As far as I know, none of the X350 models read MP3's. Pretty silly I know. I think your best bet would be finding a CD changer that will read them so you could just swap it from the trunk without messing with the headunit. Maybe alpine has something, as there are proprietary connectors so it's not just an easy plug and play solution unfortunately. You could also look into the ACM (audio connectivity module) which allows you to essentially hook up your ipod/iPhone and play it via RCA. Pretty clean setup from what I've seen.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

eh ACM seemed to be alot of money and I just havent gotten a straight answer as to its functionality. Does it charge? Not charge? I know it retains steering wheel controls but no display on radio,,, Im happy with the stereo overall justnot this one particular aspect

Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh ACM seemed to be alot of money and I just havent gotten a straight answer as to its functionality. Does it charge? Not charge? I know it retains steering wheel controls but no display on radio,,, Im happy with the stereo overall justnot this one particular aspect
Check this out. Very informative and with pictures Re ACM. Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The acm seems to charge the iphone 5 and 5s just fine. It didn't work as well prior to ios7.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Teek thanks Im going to look into it. Have a 5s. It be worth it

Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Actually, a compilation CDR made on Nero will allow you to play MP3s using the standard single CD slot in the head unit. I did a compilation CDR with a mix of wav files and MP3's a few years ago and it worked. I did another one last night just to confirm that it doesn't have any play problems and the new CDR that I did last night works fine too. So if you're like me, not bothered with an MP3 player, there is still an option for playing your MP3s if you burn them into a CDR.

There is one interesting point though, the Nero programme burnt the tracks based on time of the music and not based on the file size, so I could only get about 20 tracks onto a CDR instead of much more that you would have expected for MP3 file sizes. I'm not sure why this is the case but the MP3 music does play.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by klfong
Actually, a compilation CDR made on Nero will allow you to play MP3s using the standard single CD slot in the head unit. I did a compilation CDR with a mix of wav files and MP3's a few years ago and it worked. I did another one last night just to confirm that it doesn't have any play problems and the new CDR that I did last night works fine too. So if you're like me, not bothered with an MP3 player, there is still an option for playing your MP3s if you burn them into a CDR.

There is one interesting point though, the Nero programme burnt the tracks based on time of the music and not based on the file size, so I could only get about 20 tracks onto a CDR instead of much more that you would have expected for MP3 file sizes. I'm not sure why this is the case but the MP3 music does play.

Windows media player does the same thing and it base on time instead of file size.