XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help XJ with P 171, 174 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help XJ with P 171, 174 Problems

HI Folks,
i could really use some help my 2006 jaguar xj which has been a pleasure to own and drive.
is now startign to geive me all sorts of trouble.

the latets is a restricte dperformanc error message wher eteh car starts jerkign and is unable to go over 80 kmph or 2500 rpm.
when i took it in to the dealee he removed teh follwoign fault codes as listed above.

the dealer is askign to replace all the air intake valves and say the problem is due to bad petrol.

i am not sure about the petrol casue none of the other cars are facing this problem.

they are askign for 800 dollars for the parts and another 250 for the labor .
i think this is atrocious .
cna anyone give me an idea of whats really ahppening to the car and what really a job liek this shoud cost me.
i am attaching the fault report they gave me.
regards
Hunsi

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0001.pdf (996.9 KB, 468 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What??? The ******* is ripping you off.

This code is a sign of a vacuum leak or your mass airflow sensor. I would start with the mafs...the dealer sells them for $110 and it is a 2m job. You only need a screw driver. You might try cleaning your old one first, but given the age just replace it.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Ps. I had the same code a few weeks ago. I use a k&n filter and the oil tends to mess these up faster than normal.

Also, go buy you a Code reader for $100 to avoid paying the dealer to tell you what code popped the check engine light.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow993
I use a k&n filter and the oil tends to mess these up faster than normal.
I've used K&N filters for over 30 years and never had a problem. I think this is an urban legend. K&N has a lot to say about it here:
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think we should bear in mind that Hunsi is located in Muscat, the capital of Oman. Prices for Jaguar parts may be loaded with taxes, duties and so on. If Hansi could tell us what parts the dealer advises need replacement, we will be better informed as to whether it is reasonable or not. Also bear in mind that there are unlikely to be many, (or even any), independent Jaguar shops in Oman.

So Hunsi, over to you for an update.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by gmcgann
I've used K&N filters for over 30 years and never had a problem. I think this is an urban legend. K&N has a lot to say about it here:
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns
I'm on my 3rd mafs.... So you tell me what is causing them to go bad.

The original, one rebuilt and now back to the original.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I think we should bear in mind that Hunsi is located in Muscat, the capital of Oman. Prices for Jaguar parts may be loaded with taxes, duties and so on. If Hansi could tell us what parts the dealer advises need replacement, we will be better informed as to whether it is reasonable or not. Also bear in mind that there are unlikely to be many, (or even any), independent Jaguar shops in Oman.

So Hunsi, over to you for an update.
He said... "the dealer is askign to replace all the air intake valves and say the problem is due to bad petrol."

Intake valves? I haven't heard of those creating these codes. You would think they would try running a cleaner before you tear down an engine. Not to mention you can't replace intake valves for $250 in labor.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

I think the term "air intake valves" is probably the agents "English" for the MAF and throttle body, probably some difficulty with translation as this is an Arabic-speaking country. If you think about it, the throttle/MAF is a valve of some sort. This is what dictionary.com say, anyway.

valve
any device for halting or controlling the flow of a liquid, gas, or other material through a passage, pipe, inlet, outlet, etc.

I suspect the agent Hunsi went to is not exclusively Jaguar and does not have much breadth of knowledge on the common faults with these cars.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Agreed

Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM

Hey everyone , thanks for the reponses right of th eback let me clear up an error i made in the earlier post.

the dealer is not askign to replace te air intakes but the Injectors and the air flow sensor.

I wante dto also bring to light whats fraser mitchell said , taht i amin Oman where w ehave only one delaer for jaguar in the country and really no other garage's or workshops that work on jaguar. It is a small country of 2 million folks and even smaller city.
the agent is an exclusive and only certified jaguar delaer in town.

thats why i still feel i am getting ripped off.

especially since i got this message after taking it in to have my brakes and brake pads replaced which cost me another bomb of $800.

i am thinkign at this point i dont have much of a choice as the car has been in the delaer garage for a few days but i need a basleine price to haggle him down too..
any recommendations.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

We encountered these codes too . EGR Valve, PCV Hose replaced and these codes were gone .

Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Clearly Hunsi feels the cost of his repairs is too high, but unxpectedly high costs is what most of us know about when getting our cars fixed, and especially at official Jaguar dealers. Luxury cars can be expensive to fix, as I have found out since buying mine !

I would like to see a list of parts replaced on the brake job to get an idea of what things cost in Oman. A parts list with prices should be on the invoice. Did the brake job include Oman taxes ? Were the brake discs replaced as well as the pads ?

Also could we see what parts the dealer is proposing to use to fix the problem - what makes it add up to $800 ?

Once there are a few figures we can then compare to prices elsewhere, an informed opinion can be given.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Replace mass airflow sensor ...order it. It is in the intake tube after the air filter. If the problem doesn't go away listen for a vacuum leak or run propane over the hoses. If the engine revs, your leak is in that area.

Any shop can do an injector cleaning.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

These cars are known for intake and vacuum leaks, I would check for the leaks first. If all is good then consider the MAFS but I would clean it first. If you can find a garage that can perform a smoke test on your system you would be better off. However you can do it yourself and this procedure will help. http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/P0171.pdf I use a throttle body cleaner but the soap and water will work.

As for the K&N filter I have them in both of my cars with no adverse problems. I had one in my Rav4 for 266,000mi with no problems.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Brake repair costs.

A four-wheel Jaguar dealer brake service in Oman, which I would expect includes factory 4 rotors and 4 pairs of brake pads and new brake fluid plus labor, for $800.00 would seem appropriate from a dealer in the U.S.A.

After-market parts alone costs are approximately $325.00 in the U.S. Obviously residing in a remote area of the mid-east limits service options especially when diagnosis of electronic trouble codes. As much as I enjoy do-it-yourself solutions, in the same circumstances, I would have to trust the dealer.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm with Gus and the others above. More than likely, several air/vacuum leaks, check the air pipe (the piece that bends from the MAFS to the throttle body) if its cracked, spend $75 (at least over here at the dealer) for a new one, then replace any brittle plastic air/vacuum lines. Also check the o-rings at the connectors, even if you reuse them with any replacement lines. There are many lines and locations where air can get into the manifold - unmetered, giving you those exact codes.

A new fuel filter probably wouldn't hurt (you can do that yourself also) and include a can of BG-44K into the next couple fuel tank fillups, that might clear up any injector fouling that the dealer believes is causing your limited speed and fuel/air ratio.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 AM

HI,

So an update based ont he advise of teh forum. i requested the delaer ot replace teh MAF filter and clean the injectors and see if it works.

The dealer did so but said teh same errors were shoewing on the road test. they cleaned the injectors a secomd time but belive that the only way is to replace the fuel injectors.
i ahev asjked them for a final price and think that i need to bite teh bullet on this one...
and pay what they say.

thanks for the help..

i will keep everyone posted.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Mohsin Haider Darwish LLC the exclusive Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) importer in Oman
I assume this company are your dealer. I found this on the internet. They were appointed in mid-2010, and are a Jaguar Land Rover dealer so will also be selling the Land Rover vehicles. It's not a lot of time to get familiar with the foibles of the X350 as this was out of production when they were appointed, and I wonder how many X350 cars there are in Oman. Well, there is at least one - Hunsi's !

Replacing all eight fuel injectors is going to be costly.