XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...

Hey guys,

I've been on the forum for a long time. I've had X-Types and S-Types in the past. I've been considering the purchase of a supercharged Jag for a while.

I was torn between an STR and an XJR, but ultimately I decided on an XJR. I am a licensed used car dealer, so I started scouring the country for the right car.

Finally found it. 04 XJR. Black on black (what I wanted). Nav, everything 77k miles. Bought it sight unseen with a Manheim condition report of 4.5/5 and had it shipped to me.

I've only had the car a couple days but I really like it so far.

Here's what I've determined so far. The car had a bad steering shake when it showed up. Put it on the lift at the shop and the front end seemed tight. So I decided to balance the tires, and when the driver front went on the car it became obvious that the Pirelli P6 tire had a shifted belt. You could see it clearly. I mounted that tire on the rear, and the wheel is rock solid, but you can still feel the tire vibration coming through the chassis. The car is going in for two new rear tires tomorrow.

Second, the cat portion of the leaper was rigged and attached with bailing wire - I kid you not. It seems like the two screws that go into the cat are missing. I am going to order a new leaper.

Floor mats are missing. Threw some generic winter mats in it for now. Will order proper ones.

Here's a couple pics:

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 01-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Welcome back, George!

We like black RRRRRR's!! Mine's black! You won't regret movin' on up, for sure.

Cheers,

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats on the XJR, George! You've acquired a very capable and comfortable vehicle! Hope it serves you as well as mine has!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It's not my colour, but a lovely looking car all the same. Congratulations on your purchase.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Great looking car George.

Welcome to life with a supercharger

Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to "The Club", George. I bought mine in September 2011, and I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. So far, I've had to put zero into mine, except for a front end alignment. What's coming: a tranny pan/sleeve/fluid service, with reflash. Mine has "The lurch", although not particularly bothersome to me, and the pan has dripped a bit, but not much. "Suspension Too Low" has reared its head twice, but I can probably stave that off til next year. The front lower control arm bushings will need to be replaced before too long.

Oh, one more thing: I've become jaded with 400/400. I've been fantasizing about Avos' twin screw conversion. Yes, I'm insane. But I LOVE the car more than I thought I would, and I knew it was the best car ever made.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I wish I had bought an R but wifey wanted the VDP. See, I am a nice guy!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  19.3 KB

Good for you George......congrats on a great looking car
Sounds like you might be hanging out here for a while yet??.....

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice car!! What is that white stuff on the ground?

Sunny South Florida 75 deg F

Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks great.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good for you , happy safe driving . Welcome to X350 Forums

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Great looking car. I know you are going to love it. If you intend to order the Lamb wool carpets, be sitting down when you read the estimate....

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations on the XJR purchase, George! It looks great.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats, very nice! Hey did you get it from the Manheim PA exotic sell? Is it as clean as it looks?! How does she ride?

Also a Benz question, have you had any issues with your S430 air suspension.. hows the reliability of the Benz for you & ride quality with the 20" wheels? Any pix? I'm sorry I like all fine autos!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Congrats, very nice! Hey did you get it from the Manheim PA exotic sell? Is it as clean as it looks?! How does she ride?

Also a Benz question, have you had any issues with your S430 air suspension.. hows the reliability of the Benz for you & ride quality with the 20" wheels? Any pix? I'm sorry I like all fine autos!
It actually came out of ove.com but was destined for a Manheim PA highline sale - bought it the day before after seeing it on the pre sale run list, and then seeing it was on ove. I called the seller and cut a deal before the car ever made it into the lane. It wasn't exactly represented 100% accurately, It had a shifted belt in a tire that gave it a nasty steering shake, but that has been cured with new tires. The car had a 4.5 out of 5 condition report. It IS that clean. Interior looks brand new, except for some wear around the cupholder insert (I think I have a clean one from my S-Type somewhere) as well as the passenger door ashtray next to the window switch wont shut. there isn't a single door ding, and only one tiny scratch over the rear wheel well. The only paintwork on the whole car is the front bumper cover. I have the carfax as well, no accidents or stories. (I'm really picky with my cars). the car was under select edition warranty till mid 2010. Had ALL the proper services done at a Jag dealer, and only had a couple warranty repairs. Apparently there was some sort of A/C failure at 49k - had the compressor, and freon replaced. Had some sort of electrical issue at 13k miles that required two trips to the dealer.

The car also has a convoluted aftermarket remote start. If you press the lock button on the keyfob fast twice, it remote starts BUT... once it's running the car just beeps at you when you press a button on the key fob to unlock it, same as if you hit the remote while it was running, so the only way to get it open is to either a) use the key in the lock, or b) hold down the lock button till the car shuts off, and then unlock it and restart it with the key. I guess it's still good for warming the car up on cold mornings...
Now as far as the Benz. So far it has been rock solid, except for the fact that the aftermarket wheels don't have the TPMS sensors installed so it has a constant TPMS error. I think the proper scanner can actually code out the TPMS system, or I can drop the $600 on new sensors.

I haven't had any issues or drama with the air suspension. I keep the suspension on sport 1 all the time, and with that and the wheels the car feels like a stock BMW. The w220 S classes feel like they are floating on air with the suspension set on convenience. Mine is a sport pack car, that has the AMG bumpers and originally came with 18" AMG wheels.

Here are some pics...

These are crappy Iphone pics, but I think you get the idea.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...-mb1.jpg   Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...-mb2.jpg   Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...-mb3.jpg   Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...-photo.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
The_Ikon (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 PM

Nice Benz! I almost bought a CL 500 and a client tried to trade his S430 last summer. But I was finishing a divorce. Now I'm ready to make a move. I probably stay with Jaguar because of the familiarity and I really like the look. But the Benz is a sweet auto as well...

Who knows you may find me a sweet XK8 coupe or XJ... I call you on Monday or pm me Monday and I'll send info to you..

Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Great choice George. My 05 XJR was the most all round satisfactory car I have ever owned. Enjoy it.

Hay you Benz hijackers! You do know this is a Jag Forum and George was trying to celebrate his XJR?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Nice Benz! I almost bought a CL 500 and a client tried to trade his S430 last summer. But I was finishing a divorce. Now I'm ready to make a move. I probably stay with Jaguar because of the familiarity and I really like the look. But the Benz is a sweet auto as well...

Who knows you may find me a sweet XK8 coupe or XJ... I call you on Monday or pm me Monday and I'll send info to you..
I'd be glad to help you out - I'm in the process of helping out another long time forum member in picking up a beautiful xk8 convertible.

See the hey Jon any update on the xk8 search thread in the s-type section. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you contact details.

As far as the Benz - it's mine too lol although to be honest, I don't enjoy driving it half as much as the xjr. Despite the initial drama I'm having with it. (more on that later)

Take care,

George

Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Okay George, you'er off the hook this time. My bad. I didn't pick up on the fact it was you going on and on about Benzes.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Tarheal... just embrace the auto love...

George, update us on the drama, once you get a chance... is it running right? And what wheels are you adding to the XJR next week?

Quick Reply: Hey Guys, new XJR owner here...