XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hi from Newbie. Interested in 2011 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Newbie. Interested in 2011 XJ

Hello All,
Been lurking for awhile so I thought it was time to register and say "Hi"

We've been eying the new 2011 XJ. I must admit, the more we research it and pull up all the photos, we've come to really admire the car, IMO, it's a real beauty. I noticed there are already a few Forum members that own the 2011 XJ. I realize it may be a bit early but, I would appreciate any input. What XJ did you get, options (if any), initial feelings on fit and finish, performance, ride, handling etc. I believe I would only opt for the larger wheels as the XJ already comes fairly loaded. Any pic's would be appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Never owned a Jaguar before. I hope I posted this on the correct Forum

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I don't think there are enough owners yet who post on this forum to get any idea of early issues.

Here in the UK the car has been very well received, although some people don't like the 'avant garde' styling, but that's a matter of personal choice. Certainly Jaguar had to move on from a style created by Sir William Lyons, the Jaguar founder, in 1967. Lots of people love this style, me included, but not enough for Jaguar to make a living out of it !

Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site autobuff....+1 on Frasers comments!
There'll be a new section in the near future specifically for the 2011XJ

Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, I think you will not be disappointed with your XJ . I also concur with Fraser's comments . Bear in mind the car is too new and of course you may expect some glitches if you buy one but let's not forget you will have a warranty for that

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like the 2011 XJ will be a good seller. Almost all of the reviews I've read are all positive. However, some are still a little resistant to the new style.

Seems like our dealer no sooner gets one detailed and it's sold. Had one in his inventory day before yesterday and it's already gone. He called and said he just took delivery of another XJ, we'll be down there first thing in the morning for a' look see', before that one is sold.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Good luck autobuff,

IMO the style is very dependent on the right color. I saw one in black and could not take my eyes off it. Today I saw one in white, didn't like it at all.

Let us know what you think and how it drives.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
Good luck autobuff,

IMO the style is very dependent on the right color. I saw one in black and could not take my eyes off it. Today I saw one in white, didn't like it at all.

Let us know what you think and how it drives.
We took a trip to the dealer today. They had a Lunar Gray exterior with the Truffle/Cashew Interior. The only option it had was the Special Paint Trim (with is the painted roof). I believe that option has changed.

I'm not real crazy 'bout any light silver car but, this one looked pretty good. However, we like the Pearl Gray (darker).

Car drove and handled extremely well. Very responsive steering, braking was excellent, ride and comfort was outstanding. The interior is one of the best I've ever seen. All in all, IMO, it is an awesome car.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the ultimate black (metallic)--I chose this because I did not particularly care for the blacked out "C" pillars which are a non-issue on a black car (plus this is my 5th Jaguar and they have all been black--I guess I'm in a rut). I know the idea was to make the rear window look like it meets the side windows, but it just doesn't seem to work in my opinion (I bet they start painting them body color later based on consumer feedback--my dealer says that they are already being asked if they can do this).

I have the supercharged standard wheelbase model that comes with the 20" wheels--it had an $87,500 MSRP and the only options available were the adaptive cruise control for $2,200 and the polished wheels for $1,000 that I did not get. I did manage to negotiate a $1,500 discount, but most dealers are not budging off MSRP and they are selling them like hot cakes.

This new design, both exterior and interior, is a work of art. I have yet to talk to anyone or read any reviews that have anything negative to say about it. It is striking looking from every angle and the performance, comfort, and fit and finish are superb. This is going to be a real winner for Jaguar.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I have the ultimate black (metallic)--I chose this because I did not particularly care for the blacked out "C" pillars which are a non-issue on a black car (plus this is my 5th Jaguar and they have all been black--I guess I'm in a rut). I know the idea was to make the rear window look like it meets the side windows, but it just doesn't seem to work in my opinion (I bet they start painting them body color later based on consumer feedback--my dealer says that they are already being asked if they can do this).

I have the supercharged standard wheelbase model that comes with the 20" wheels--it had an $87,500 MSRP and the only options available were the adaptive cruise control for $2,200 and the polished wheels for $1,000 that I did not get. I did manage to negotiate a $1,500 discount, but most dealers are not budging off MSRP and they are selling them like hot cakes.

This new design, both exterior and interior, is a work of art. I have yet to talk to anyone or read any reviews that have anything negative to say about it. It is striking looking from every angle and the performance, comfort, and fit and finish are superb. This is going to be a real winner for Jaguar.
Thanks for your feed back. I personally like the look of blacked out 'C' pillars. IMO, It gives the roof line a very unique look. I was told the roof comes standard in all black, if you want the middle section painted it is a $1K option. That's what it showed on the sticker, however I believe they changed that option. I don't believe we will opt for the ACC.

The sales person told me they would possibly discount $1,500- $2,000 off MSRP when we get serious to order.

As you mentioned, the new design, interior & exterior are awesome. Our dealer has already sold 8. While we were talking several couples were looking at the car. I believe it will be sold today.

Enjoy your new XJ.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The XJ is hot; the hottest car in its price range by a stretch.

I do not like the new style leaper. It looks like a Puma emblem. I would change to the traditional round emblem or take it off altogether.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM

I think the blacked out "C" pillars would work better if the windows were tinted more so that it really looked like the rear window extended to the side windows--this is the look they were trying to achieve, but with the standard tint there is just too much color difference between the pillars and the window glass. Unfortunately, it is illegal in most states in the US to have tint that dark.

I'm not sure I understand that roof paint option you are describing--the roof is a "panorama" type that is black glass integrated with the front sun roof and front and rear sun shades. It is very similar to the roof on my wife's MB E550 coupe.

The car comes standard without a leaper on the hood, just the round growler on the grill, but you can order one if you want. Mine does not have it and I have not seen one yet with one to have an opinion on the look.

It is a lot of car for the money compared to its competitors.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased the Neiman Marcus edition (XJL supercharged) and love it. It handles very well. The steering is accurate and just tight but not stiff. The car is very well balanced. The acceleration is awesome! The virtual cockpit is just simply cool (i didn't think i'd like it at first) . The sound system is as good as it gets(maybe better). The air-conditioned seats are very cool ... pun intended.... great here in Florida. The color is Celestial (depending on the time of a day, blue/black,black,or black/blue, with dove interior. Only 50 cars in this edition were made and so a bit of a collector thing going. I great car with great style and a great ride.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I think the blacked out "C" pillars would work better if the windows were tinted more so that it really looked like the rear window extended to the side windows--this is the look they were trying to achieve, but with the standard tint there is just too much color difference between the pillars and the window glass. Unfortunately, it is illegal in most states in the US to have tint that dark.

I'm not sure I understand that roof paint option you are describing--the roof is a "panorama" type that is black glass integrated with the front sun roof and front and rear sun shades. It is very similar to the roof on my wife's MB E550 coupe.

The car comes standard without a leaper on the hood, just the round growler on the grill, but you can order one if you want. Mine does not have it and I have not seen one yet with one to have an opinion on the look.

It is a lot of car for the money compared to its competitors.
I have a copy of the MSRP sticker and it states in the Options Equipment as: Special Paint Trim or Top. $1,000. The dealer said it was because the middle section of the roof was painted the same as the car. I believe this (option) is something they discontinued because we couldn't find it when we were trying to build one. ??

I believe mosesbotbol was referring to the leaper on the trunk. IMO, this XJ would not look good with one on the hood.

Glad to hear your enjoying you XJ.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Celestial;226252[B
]I purchased the Neiman Marcus edition (XJL supercharged) and love it. It handles very well. The steering is accurate and just tight but not stiff. The car is very well balanced. The acceleration is awesome! The virtual cockpit is just simply cool (i didn't think i'd like it at first) . The sound system is as good as it gets(maybe better). The air-conditioned seats are very cool ... pun intended.... great here in Florida. The color is Celestial (depending on the time of a day, blue/black,black,or black/blue, with dove interior. Only 50 cars in this edition were made and so a bit of a collector thing going. I great car with great style and a great ride.
Celestial,
Can you post a few photo's of your Neiman Marcus edition? Sure would like to see it, sounds nice.

Good recap, thanks. Best of luck and enjoy your XJL

Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM

AutoBuff, I'd love to but as yet I don't have "permissions" .... I thik I'm working on it though ...

Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Celestial, one more day (maybe 2) and you're golden

Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks H20boy

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by AutoBuff
I have a copy of the MSRP sticker and it states in the Options Equipment as: Special Paint Trim or Top. $1,000. The dealer said it was because the middle section of the roof was painted the same as the car. I believe this (option) is something they discontinued because we couldn't find it when we were trying to build one. ??

I believe mosesbotbol was referring to the leaper on the trunk. IMO, this XJ would not look good with one on the hood.

Glad to hear your enjoying you XJ.
Upon closer inspection of the top of my car, it does appear that the 15" - 16" section between the rear sunshade glass panel and the rear window is painted metal. If this is what gets painted body color as an option, I think it would look a little weird--kind of like a stripe across the top. Maybe that's why they discontinued the option.