XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Higher mileage 04's

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher mileage 04's

Super noob question about 04 xj8's with 100k+ miles. So if there is a link to an already created thread please link me there.

So my situation is I love my 06 xj8 a lot. I spend forever waiting for one black/black with the chrome 19's and mesh grill. I got one only to find it's not right for my situation. I'm a college student and I work at a place where I'm forced to park on the street (I actually bought a scooter so I don't have to drive it for work). None the less I just don't like the unfair conditions for the vehicle.

So I've since fallen in love with maserati coupes and have decided to get one and buy another car for under $6k to scoot around in and not be so paranoid about

I run across 04 xj8's with 100k+ miles every now and then for under $6k. I'm currently eyeing one with 140k that was one owner and garaged. My question is what should I be weary of with such high mileage? My 06 has 69k and has been a dream, but I don't know if I'm just lucky or I can expect this from another xj8. Maybe I should go boring and get a lexus es? Or opt for a lower mileage xj8 of the previous body style?

Thanks any and all in advance for your help!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

There was a thread a while ago where everyone was posting their high mileage cars but I can't find it.

We bought our '04 XJ8 new and has 111,000 miles now and has been a good car. The only issue we've had is uneven heating from the dash vents which has cost us $2500 the first time to replace the entire dash vent thingie and right now we have a plugged heater core causing the SAME uneven heating costing us $1300 + $400 for a new PCV and throttle body service. Warranty covered an issue with the variable timing thingie. That's it, except for the usual brakes, fluids, etc.

Not bad for 111,000 miles. I'd have to say the car has been very good to us so far. We plan on keeping it to maybe 175,000 or 200,000 miles just for the heck of it. The body, paint and interior are almost like new so why not?

BTW, I wouldn't let ours go for $6k.

Norm

Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

At 140k miles, it all depends on how the car has been looked after. If the car has been serviced and maintained correctly then there is no reason not to buy it if the price is right. However, you do need evidence it has been looked after, and a road test and viewing of the vehicle is essential. Do not buy cars with this mileage off the internet; you would be looking for trouble. Of course something major could decide to die on you, but that is the risk you take with any high miles car

Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Norm 427
There was a thread a while ago where everyone was posting their high mileage cars but I can't find it. We bought our '04 XJ8 new and has 111,000 miles now and has been a good car. The only issue we've had is uneven heating from the dash vents which has cost us $2500 the first time to replace the entire dash vent thingie and right now we have a plugged heater core causing the SAME uneven heating costing us $1300 + $400 for a new PCV and throttle body service. Warranty covered an issue with the variable timing thingie. That's it, except for the usual brakes, fluids, etc. Not bad for 111,000 miles. I'd have to say the car has been very good to us so far. We plan on keeping it to maybe 175,000 or 200,000 miles just for the heck of it. The body, paint and interior are almost like new so why not? BTW, I wouldn't let ours go for $6k. Norm
I would assume they wouldn't be terribly unreliable. Sounds like yours has been going great. I know mine has. I really love this body style of cat so I may go for it. Then again I was offered a 98 xj8 that was one owner with all service records for even less than the 04. I just wasn't sure how that body style faired in reliability against an 04. As well as mpg. I make frequent 600 mile trips so I like the 30mpg my 06 xj8 gets. Not sure about the 98-03's.

Thing is, whatever daily car I get will be parked outside and I want to make sure I can't start it every morning without too many issues here and there for a couple years. Based on my research it may just be best to get a little Japanese 4 banger to put around in

Old 11-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
At 140k miles, it all depends on how the car has been looked after. If the car has been serviced and maintained correctly then there is no reason not to buy it if the price is right. However, you do need evidence it has been looked after, and a road test and viewing of the vehicle is essential. Do not buy cars with this mileage off the internet; you would be looking for trouble. Of course something major could decide to die on you, but that is the risk you take with any high miles car
Yep, car would be bought sight unseen. I did this with my 06 and all has been well. Not sure if I just lucked out though

Old 11-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I got mine at 147k miles for little money.

I should have researched more on high mileage XJ8s before jumping in, however the trouble spots have found with mine which was bought at auction were/ are:

heater core u/s Driver side not getting warm.
outdated sat nav dvd.
locking wheel nut Key missing.
sagging interior material.
missing plastic body panels under vehcile.
no service history or paperwork of any kind.
heated seats u/s , steering wheel gets hot though!.
transmission knock stopping from 2nd to 1st.
ABS /DCS sensor issues.
Sun roof cover sagging/hanging material,
4 x wrong size tyres fitted to vehicle.
No Satnav antenna link.
headlight dodgy connection issue.
some clips, ties, pins and sound proofing missing from engine bay.
Lower control rod bushings u/s

But all repairable over time with self help and cash. Here's the thing:

heater core u/s Driver side not getting warm. $1550 new
outdated sat nav dvd. Use Mobile phone app - done
locking wheel nut Key missing.$14 new - done
sagging interior material. Only on rear pillars, can live with it for now.
missing plastic body panels under vehcile. $600 new, awaiting funds then purchase.
no service history or paperwork of any kind.Carried out full maintenance and service on all oils, lubes, filters, sparks $200 - Done
heated seats u/s , steering wheel gets hot though!.Thermostat replacement in seat $35 each - Can wait.
transmission knock stopping from 2nd to 1st. Ordered new pan and oil kit. Changed by local indie while I watched - Done (still like to flash it though!)
ABS /DCS sensor issues. Cleaned one sensor cleared issue.
Sun roof cover sagging/hanging material, 3M glue and perseverence - awaiting warmer weather
4 x wrong size tyres fitted to vehicle.Will drive on them until they are worn out and then change
No Satnav antenna link. $35 replacement at Alpine.com - Done
headlight dodgy connection issue.checking threads on here
some clips, ties, pins and sound proofing missing from engine bay.Awaiting funds to replace
Lower control rod bushings u/sAwaiting funds to replace. Currently No1 on to do list.

However, I sort of knew what I was jumping into before buying because it was at auction. The heater core was the one that miffed me the most and the overall cost of replacement items.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Trosty,

That's a LONG list of trouble items. Obviously the car being at auction had not been cared for in the least.

I much prefer buying used stuff from an individual, not a dealer, then I can get a good impression of how particular they are about things by talking, listening, observing.

BTW, I'm having my heater core changed right now. As for the plastic panels underneath (you must mean under the engine) I'd just leave them off ... makes changing oil much easier.

Norm

Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
I got mine at 147k miles for little money.

I should have researched more on high mileage XJ8s before jumping in, however the trouble spots have found with mine which was bought at auction were/ are:

heated seats u/s , steering wheel gets hot though!.Thermostat replacement in seat $35 each - Can wait.
Trosty, how did you figure out that your seat heating inadequacy was due to faulty thermostats? Where are these thermostats located?

Thanx!

L.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Trosty, how did you figure out that your seat heating inadequacy was due to faulty thermostats? Where are these thermostats located?

Thanx!

L.
I read a thread on here recently and thought that I hadn't checked my seat heaters since I had the car. Its not really a big issue in Texas!!

However, I checked and the steering wheel gets hot but neither of the front seats did. I have therefore assumed that the thermostat in both seats must be u/s as explained in that thread.

I have also just checked (while thinking about it) and realised I have heated seating in the rear and will have to check those too.

The link is for the X308 model seat, although I am sure there can't be much difference between the two designs. I could however be completely wrong though!!!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-solved-44965/

Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Norm 427
Trosty,

That's a LONG list of trouble items. Obviously the car being at auction had not been cared for in the least.

I much prefer buying used stuff from an individual, not a dealer, then I can get a good impression of how particular they are about things by talking, listening, observing.

BTW, I'm having my heater core changed right now. As for the plastic panels underneath (you must mean under the engine) I'd just leave them off ... makes changing oil much easier.

Norm
Yep a long list of things you don't really see and experience until after you have parted cash!!

Good luck with the heater core, are you going to strip the old one down and take photo's of the silt build up inside the core?

I have found quite a few electrical connections under the vehicle that are open to the wet elements without the undertray attached. It also assists in cutting drag, avoiding flying debris damaging all manner of expensive bits under there and would help cut down road noise.
I will get one when funds are available.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Aututto
Yep, car would be bought sight unseen. I did this with my 06 and all has been well. Not sure if I just lucked out though
If you do purchase it, and you live in Mid-MO, PM me and bring it by the house so we can give it a good look-over.
My VDP currently has 146,097 miles.