XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hose/Pipe Connecting Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 05:34 PM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Hose/Pipe Connecting Intercoolers

I removed this hose/pipe & I don't think I needed to. I slashed it off & have lost about an inch on either end. What I thought was a hose is actually a plastic pipe surrounded in rubber. What is this called. I'm inclined to order a new one unless a wiser head says that the shorter version will work. There is no clip on either end. Thanks and best, Steve

Old 06-19-2024, 11:19 PM
Default Fuel Rail Connector Hose!

Geesh!

Old 06-20-2024, 02:32 AM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi Steve,

I fear that the news I have is not so good: that looks like the pipe connecting the fuel rails, which are the metal pipes to which the injectors are connected, and it did not need to be removed. You can see it in the picture here:

Unfortunately, Jagaur never sold this pipe separately from the fuel rails, only as a whole with them. Furthermore, according to the Jaguar parts catalogue, they are not availble anymore.

I do not know where you can find a replacement in the US, maybe you can be lucky enough to find a used one from a SV8 or XJR froma wrecker. I really do not know what could be used a replacement of the pipe itself, hopefully someone else here in the forum does.

I sincerely hope that it will not be a showstopper!

Good luck!

Best regards,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 07:56 AM

Thanks, Thomas, and apologies for posting this twice; I didn't realize until this morning. Don't get old! I couldn't find anything resembling the part, not even on ebay. A lot of these for other cars seem to be made of metal.

Perhaps it is time to call the wrecker for the car & for me.

I will check again, but it appears the inside of mine is hard plastic. As you will see in the picture, the nipples, one on each rail are tapered & ribbed. It must have taken quite a bit of pressure to get them on; they could not be pulled off. I used a razor. There was no clip on them. Also the shape is such to keep it about 4" above the block, possibly for heat reasons?

Seems to me, if the nipples are threaded into the rail, a new type of fitting could be found that would accept a "pipe" with a clip of some kind. And a flexible or bendable pipe material could be found that would accomplish the same goal?

Alternatively, the existing "pipe" could be forced back on to each nipple. Based on the feel of the thing, it seems flexible enough to span the distance. Also, there is 10mm between the two ridges circled & they appear to be flush; if a clip could be installed over these two... If this works, does anyone know if the reinstalled pipe being a little shorter matters as long as it is adequately secured onto the nipples & doesn't interfere with another part?

Needless to say, any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am taking 2 of my grandsons sailing & won't be back until Saturday night. I hope that I will be able to come up with a solution to keep going.

Thanks and best,

Steve S.

Old 06-20-2024, 09:51 AM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi Steve,

No issue for me for posting twice!

I try not to ge old, but I am not succeding... ;-) if Ihave seen correctly, I am about 20 years behind you... as a colleague of mine said: getting old is nothing for wimps... but to call a wrecker would be too much!

As you can see from my picture, yes, there is no clamp on that hose. I tried to pull it off, but when I saw that it is rigid, Ijust let it be.

I think that you are right by assuming that it might be rigid to keep it away from heat, because the fuel pressure should definitely not be a problem also with reinforced flexible hoses.

Probably, a flexible hose would work, as well, if it can be fixed so that it keeps a bit of distance to the hot parts. Your alternative of using the existing, but shorter hose with clamps could also work. I would try to heat it up to
- try to bend it in such a way that you have more hose to put on the nipples and
- to make the plastic more flexible to make it easier to pull the hose on the nipples. I fear that ,otherwise, pushing it back on will not be possible.

Here's the link to the relevant part of the parts catalogue, maybe you can find an original fuel rail based on the part no.:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Happy sailing!

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (06-23-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

You will have to get some pressure hose suitable for fuel and fit it
with a worm drive clip at each end,
The barbed connectors will be ideal for that
Ensure that the pipe is clipped to keep it away from hot parts.
That will be safer than the old plastic pipe IMO

04Xjrsteve (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 10:42 AM

Thanks Thomas & Meirion1!

Hope to get back to it this week.

Will do some research on the fuel rail connector. The original part's plastic liner is so brittle that I'm not going to use it. There is some great stuff on the net re this subject. When I get underway on this, I will start a thread more appropriately named.

Have the lower EGR pipe gasket to aquire & still await the brass insert for the brake vacuum.

The sailing was great. There is no more beautiful sailing in the world with Mount Rainier, etc. Temps are a wee bit chilly for non sailors, but I bundle them up so they have a great time.

Thanks again for your continued support; without it, I'd be sunk!

Carpe diem,

Steve

Thomas-S. (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 440 Posts

There is a supply house called mcmaster carr. Check out their catalog. I use them a lot. I bet they have fuel line that you can use

04Xjrsteve (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:59 PM

Scott, thank you! You aren't kidding they do!

Old 06-23-2024, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Scott, thank you! You aren't kidding they do!
anytime. They have never failed me. To make the bend for total replacement i am no help other than maybe use a block of wood to form it while hose is warm. If you order ask them for a hard copy of their catalog. It will astound you