XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to disable "Air Suspension Fault" after Arnott conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had my 2008 XJ VDP converted with Arnott's coil overs in May 2014 and am still waiting for a potential fix to the error codes (besides pressing the reset button each time the car is started). Arnott has me on a waiting list for this info.

UPDATE: I received an e-mail from Marvin Noel, Supervisor of the Technical & Warranty Division at Arnott yesterday (06/02) advising me that he was just alerted their R & D manager that the EBM should ship out no later than mid this week.

FINAL UPDATE: I finally had European Service Center in Dallas install the Electronic Bypass Module (EBM) sent to me by Arnott to resolve the yellow dash warning light and corresponding Air Suspension and CAT error messages on my 2008 XJ8 with Arnott coil over conversions. I'm so pleased now and wish to thank Marvin Noel and the R&D staff at Arnott for supporting clients by developing and subsequently providing the EBM.

www.arnottinc.com
Phone: 1-800-251-8993 x100
Fax: 1-800-352-8659

Last edited by Lou in Dallas; 07-27-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Arrow Fix for the 2008+2009 XJ

Here 34by151 explains in detail what has to be done to get rid of the error messages.
How to add manual headlamp leveling for the early X350 is proposed as well.

Thanks again

goldy locks

Last edited by LeoJagger; 05-27-2014 at 12:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeoJagger:
Lou in Dallas (05-28-2014), Panthro (12-05-2015)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed the Arnott website now says "Instructions To Bypass 04-07 Dashboard Warning Light" instead of just "04-06" that it stated previously. Did they discover a new bypass method for 2007's, but still can't figure it out for 2008 & 2009's?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Indeed, they have come up with a solution!
O4-07 does not need the bypass, but they now have a little box called EBM for the '08-'10 cars.

I have had some good emails with Marvin, the tech director for Arnott and he's given me some info to update my suspension super thread.

We just had a baby last wednesday so I've been a bit busy to post it

Here's a link to the new Arnott coil overs, you can see the box in the picture:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...9_gid1122.html

Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM

It appears the Arnott website now has separate pages for the Jaguar X350 and X358 conversion kits, along with Comfort or Sport suspension options. Nice to see they finally developed the Electronic Bypass Module!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Default Fixed!!!

Arnott sent me the override part. You have to remove the back seat bottom and back, then move away the cover for the module. Evidently the mechanic who installed the replacement shocks had already removed the four harnesses from the module as he should have done. I had to attach four wires to one of the harnesses. Problem solved.

It took me longer to get the seats out than to connect the part.

Thanks to Arnott for following up with this problem and sending the fix.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Default Need Help

Originally Posted by 34by151
Try adding a pair of 5K resistors to the plus where the height sensors were
This will emulate the height sensor at aprox 50%
You will need to do this for all 4 removed sensors

This will fool the ECU into thinking the height is OK
You can then go into IDS and fake the ride height.
The info to do this is in Cambo's how to adjust ride height thread

Finally if you have also removed the air compressor you will need to fake the pressure sensor signal

Im not sure of the value so you will need to measure the resistance of the sensor and add a pot in place of the removed sensor. Adjust the pot so you no longer get the low pressure warning

If you need me to go into more detail let me know

Cheers
34by151

Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Hi, you seem to have knowledge that could help me. I have a 2004 XJ8 VDP, having problems with the air suspension, my mechanic replaced the front driver side shock with an Arnott, because it was leaking. Not familiar with Jags, the "vehicle too low", still comes on, the whole car was sitting on the wheels, now the back raises, when started, but the front stays, low, and the "vehicle too low" lights up, we can hear the compressor, working, any suggestions?? Need help! Mechanic is frustrated.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Cool New Arnott shock but front still low

It would be a good idea to open a new thread. There are many possible causes for your problem.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstnat
Hi, you seem to have knowledge that could help me. I have a 2004 XJ8 VDP, having problems with the air suspension, my mechanic replaced the front driver side shock with an Arnott, because it was leaking. Not familiar with Jags, the "vehicle too low", still comes on, the whole car was sitting on the wheels, now the back raises, when started, but the front stays, low, and the "vehicle too low" lights up, we can hear the compressor, working, any suggestions?? Need help! Mechanic is frustrated.
Carefully drive it a bit. The control unit sometimes gets locked in jacking mode and driving gets her out. Try it and report back in a new thread if needed.

Guus

Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 AM

Or have a look at this similar suspension problem before opening a new thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sp-sdd-122505/

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou in Dallas
I also had my 2008 XJ VDP converted with Arnott's coil overs in May 2014 and am still waiting for a potential fix to the error codes (besides pressing the reset button each time the car is started).
Am I missing something here? What "reset" button is everyone referring to?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 PM

See reset button on US spec 2008 XJ located on the black buttons panel just to the lower left of the steering wheel … Sign In - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum or

Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Pressing that can reset the Air Suspension Fault message? I thought that was just for resetting the trip computer?

Thanks, btw, for the reply and photo.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Default Reset Button Location

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Pressing that can reset the Air Suspension Fault message? I thought that was just for resetting the trip computer?
Yes that function for the reset button was news to me too when the technician at European Service Center enlightened me before the EBM solution. Pressing the reset button after starting the car will erase both the "Air Suspension fault" and another computer message (which I no longer can quote) but will NOT eliminate the amber warning light in the middle of the speedometer. After my EBM from Arnott was installed both fault messages AND the amber warning light no longer appear.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 AM

Just something to add o the thread ........ Jaguar did indeed change the software on the later models so you do need the Arnott EBM .......

................ I discovered this morning that here in the UK, when you take the car in for a full dealership service, one of things they do is update the software, which is very nice of them, but means that the 2003 car I am driving has 2010 software ......

End result is I cannot get rid of the CATS error message ..... lol .... so now I need the EBM thingy as well. Have contacted Arnott and one is on the way.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

In the older 350 XJ Jags the need for an Electronic Bypass Module (EBM) wasn’t necessary. You just unplugged the entire module. However after a software upgrade at the dealer the CAN system seems to recognize the lack of the module and throws the code. Arnott now provides the EBM on all Jaguar XJ (X350 & X358) conversion kits C-2745 for model years 2004-2009.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...20_pid136.html

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...20_pid208.html

Last edited by arnottdoug; 01-07-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: updated with new product
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
To put it simply you get a suspension faults under 2 conditions

1. Ride height out of limits
2. The air tank does not reach pressure in time (5mins I think)

Cheers
34by151
I get an "air suspension fault" message about half the time although the ride height stays in spec.

Looking at a chassis fault code list I believe I counted 35 different codes that can trigger that message.

I haven't yet gotten my Mongoose clone software to work so I can't read the Chassis codes, so no joy in finding the cause so far.

I do have a bagpipingandy piston ring kit in the glove compartment in case cold weather does cause a ride height problem.

Too bad the message center can't be more helpful, but I suppose owners were not expected to solve the problems themselves - just to go back to a dealer to keep his boat payments up to date.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am half way through my suspension conversion however I am doing it a bit different. I am not using any aftermarket systems but instead using the S Types shocks. They essentially share the rest of the suspension and are of similar weight and so forth. I just finished the front and still have to do the back. However, not only do I get the fault message, I also get a put the car in Park and a chime goes off when ever the car is above 5 mph. I can deal with the messages but that chime has to go.

Can I unplug just the front suspension harnesses from the black box?
If anyone has an extra EBM from the Arnott, I will buy it from you.

I have an 08 vandan plas xj

Many thanks.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Driving around with springs in the front and air shocks in the back will no doubt be messing with the air suspension system. Did you plug the air lines? Front height sensors are still in place? Are your S-Type shocks with or without CATS?

It is possible to disable the air suspension completely in a 2006 onward XJ by software alone but you need an SDD or IDS diagnostic system, and coded access to change the vehicle configuration.

I don't know anyone in Florida who could do this, but I know a guy in New Jersey.

The only chime I can think of is related to the park brake, not sure why you would be getting such an error unless something else is going on.

Quick Reply: How to disable "Air Suspension Fault" after Arnott conversion